Fragile

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GnatsEyelash

Fragile

Post by GnatsEyelash »

Not much anyone can do about it, but this edition of the Pirates has been what I would term "psychologically fragile."

Anything that can cause waves appears to create a tidal wave for the SS Minnow. Cubs get off to a great start to the season? That seemed to cause an unnecessary malaise for the Pirates. Trade Melancon? Team plays like the move hurt their feelings. Cole goes on DL? Bucs can't close the deal despite being set up royally to do so. It was almost like they because Arrieta started the game, they were supposed to lose and did so, despite wounding their nemesis.

This team lacks swagger.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Fragile

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Last night's game was great. I felt the Pirates played hard after the first few innings. They beat Arietta (again) but not the Cubs. Everyone was hustling. The Cubs are a good team. But the Pirates had that game. It just sucked that Locke had to go a few extra innings because they were out of options and the back end of the bullpen gave up the runs.
PMike

Fragile

Post by PMike »

I don't know that they are fragile. But they don't seem to be mentally tough either. They don't have that killer instinct. I wasn't the biggest AJ Burnett fan, but his line and the ensuing t-shirts (Sit the **** down) really gave this team some identity and ferocity.

I didn't watch all of the game last night. I have really grown a disdain for the Cubs (for a number of reasons) and I get frustrated watching the Pirates play them. That said, last night seemed like a really frustrating game. You can't be up by three and 1 run in the final 5 innings and give it away twice. You have to win that game.
Ecbucs

Fragile

Post by Ecbucs »

very disappointing loss. I went to bed with Bucs up 3. giving up homers in 8th and 9th is terrible but the Cubs do have power. Reminds me of going to bed with Bucs up by 7 or 8 against Padres (think this was 1974) and waking up next day to learn they had lost. Had to look this up, June 10 1974. Bucs up 8-0 going into bottom of 8th. Padres score 4, then 5 in 9th to win.

Jim Rooker didn't walk home because he started the game. This game convinced me the Bucs wouldn't make the playoffs as their record was 20-33. Glad they proved me wrong and took the Division.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 6100.shtml

Nice to get to Arrieta for a change. All the Buc pitchers came through until getting to Feliz and Watson.

I hope Feliz doesn't come back next year. He has been decent but he will cost more than he is worth.
Quail

Fragile

Post by Quail »

Swagger is overrated.

Arguably Cutch and Cole possess more of it than any other two players on the Bucs, but they're both performing well below what has been expected of them. Give me guys who go about their business quietly and effectively to their potential and save the histrionics for rock concerts or pro wrestling.
PMike

Fragile

Post by PMike »

517561696C000 wrote: Swagger is overrated.

Arguably Cutch and Cole possess more of it than any other two players on the Bucs, but they're both performing well below what has been expected of them. Give me guys who go about their business quietly and effectively to their potential and save the histrionics for rock concerts or pro wrestling.

I pretty much agree with you. However, you have to admit that they are missing something intangible. Both guys you named look to be at the core of whatever the problem is. Catch and Cole look either apathetic or over amped. Last year (with pretty much the same team) when they were late in a game and winning or down by just a couple, you felt they'd hold on or comeback and win. This team, at this point, doesn't have that vibe.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Fragile

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wonder if actual stats back that up?

To me it seems the Pirates comeback and win a lot (since they give up first inning runs all the time) and the bullpen doesn't have many blown saves.

I would be interested in knowing where they rank in comeback wins and holding leads.
GnatsEyelash

Fragile

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I really don't care what you call it. Swagger, Mojo...or maybe just the belief you can win the tough games. They don't seem to have enough of the mental toughness it takes to compete.

Was it A. J. Burnett? He did seem to have a chip on his shoulder and it rubbed off in a positive way, even though a lot of folks think he was a jerk.

I'll tell you what it is: It's what "stoppers" have when they take the ball in the rotation after a losing streak. Some pitchers want the ball and excel in that situation. Some can't rise to the occasion.

No question that Cutch is having an off year, and he has led through example with torrid streaks in years past. He has shown flashes...I get the feeling if he could turn it on at some point, the rest of the team would get their belief back.

Or maybe someone just needs to get upset enough to turn over some tables in the locker room. Back in the day, it seems every team had guys who had the credibility to do that. Who on this Pirates team could do that without making the rest of the team break out in laughter.
Quail

Fragile

Post by Quail »

I don't have any evidence that the current Pirate team lacks "...the belief you can win the tough games.", but you may be on to something there.

My fondest memory of following the 1960 Championship Pirate team is that they were a team that came from behind to win a high percentage of their games. In retrospect players from that team always seem to mention the one special attribute they felt they possessed was that they "believed" they could win any game no matter who the opponent or what the score. That team didn't really have any noticeable swagger but they were incredibly resilient, with no better example being their defeat of the overwhelmingly favored Yankees in the World Series despite being beaten in 3 of the 7 games by scores of 10-0, 12-0, and 16-3.

Belief is something that one cannot see or quantify but it's precariously human to infer its presence or absence based on results.
Bobster21

Fragile

Post by Bobster21 »

012531393C500 wrote: I don't have any evidence that the current Pirate team lacks "...the belief you can win the tough games.", but you may be on to something there.

My fondest memory of following the 1960 Championship Pirate team is that they were a team that came from behind to win a high percentage of their games. In retrospect players from that team always seem to mention the one special attribute they felt  they possessed was that they "believed" they could win any game no matter who the opponent or what the score. That team didn't really have any noticeable swagger but they were incredibly resilient, with no better example being their defeat of the overwhelmingly favored Yankees in the World Series despite being beaten in 3 of the 7 games by scores of 10-0, 12-0, and 16-3.

Belief is something that one cannot see or quantify but it's precariously human to infer its presence or absence based on results.
Not only that, but the 1960 Bucs also overcame a 7-4 deficit in the 8th inning of game 7 of the WS!

The current team doesn't seem to have any momentum even after a win. There doesn't seem to be any intensity to overcome the teams ahead of them. One day they play well and the next day they suck. Been like that all season. It almost seems as if they can't help that the other WC candidates in front of them are close but they aren't going to ratchet their game up a step to catch anyone.