Martinez to Boston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Martinez to Boston

Post by INbuc »

Just saw JD Martinez signed with the Red Sox 5 years at $110MM.

Story noted how he should address their 27th place standing in team home runs with 168 in 2017. Bucs finished in 29th with 151 and Giants were last with 128. With Cutch taking his 28 homers to SF, are we doomed for last in 2018?
CarolinaBucco

Martinez to Boston

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Yes I think we can say with confidence that this lineup is going to finish last in HR this year. Unless Marte and Polanco break out (BIG if), our entire OF is good for about 25-30 HR. That's not good.

1B -- Hopefully 20+

2B -- A few

SS -- A couple

3B -- Who knows maybe 10+

C -- 1 or 2

Holy cow this team is going to be bad.

I still cannot believe management is perfectly content with our LF and 4th outfielder situation ... especially when BETTER, AFFORDABLE players are sitting right there and readily available.
CarolinaBucco

Martinez to Boston

Post by CarolinaBucco »

And now I see that Dyson signed today with the D-Backs ... for a whopping 2 years, $7.5M. Gee there is no way the Pirates could have afforded that! It's outrageous!

Dyson would have been a REALLY NICE addition to this team as a 4th OF. He's versatile, he's fast, he's a proven major leaguer, and he's a world champion. But we don't need that kind of stuff.
Ecbucs

Martinez to Boston

Post by Ecbucs »

143625383B3E39361522343438570 wrote: Yes I think we can say with confidence that this lineup is going to finish last in HR this year. Unless Marte and Polanco break out (BIG if), our entire OF is good for about 25-30 HR. That's not good.

1B -- Hopefully 20+

2B -- A few

SS -- A couple

3B -- Who knows maybe 10+

C -- 1 or 2

Holy cow this team is going to be bad.

I still cannot believe management is perfectly content with our LF and 4th outfielder situation ... especially when BETTER, AFFORDABLE players are sitting right there and readily available.

I am a pessimist and I still expect more homers than you.

Outfield (including backups)

20 third

14 shortstop

15 second

30 first

10 catcher

144 total Now if Luplow can be real deal and hit 15+ team could improve over last year.
CarolinaBucco

Martinez to Boston

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Wow you're not a pessimist you are a crazy optimist!

I wish I had your outlook on life if you we're getting 30 HR from our middle infield, 20 from 3B and 10 from catcher ... for a total of 60 (actually 59).

I've got those same positions accounting for 30 ... if we're lucky.
Ecbucs

Martinez to Boston

Post by Ecbucs »

6143504D4E4B4C43605741414D220 wrote: Wow you're not a pessimist you are a crazy optimist!

I wish I had your outlook on life if you we're getting 30 HR from our middle infield, 20 from 3B and 10 from catcher ... for a total of 60 (actually 59).

I've got those same positions accounting for 30 ... if we're lucky.

I'm counting on Mercer for 12 and Harrison hitting 15-18. For catcher a couple from Cervelli and rest from Diaz, Stallings. Hopefully Moran, Freese and S-Rod hit at least 35 combined.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Martinez to Boston

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

How many HRs is Miami projected to hit? I bet they finish below the Pirates. Any takers?

dmetz

Martinez to Boston

Post by dmetz »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: How many HRs is Miami projected to hit? I bet they finish below the Pirates. Any takers?

Nope. Miami will take that feeble crown with ease this year.

I think we have a shot at hitting more than last year, give or take 5. Bell hopefully hits more. Polanco more. Moran should hit more than Freese did.

A little bit more of course won't help us. We will be a bottom 5 run scoring offense in the NL. Any takers on that?
mouse

Martinez to Boston

Post by mouse »

I think I would take the over on being in the lowest five. What is your thought on run differential, which I suspect is more important than raw runs scored.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Martinez to Boston

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

29202839374D0 wrote: How many HRs is Miami projected to hit? I bet they finish below the Pirates. Any takers?

Nope. Miami will take that feeble crown with ease this year. 

I think we have a shot at hitting more than last year, give or take 5.   Bell hopefully hits more.  Polanco more.   Moran should hit more than Freese did. 

A little bit more of course won't help us.   We will be a bottom 5 run scoring offense in the NL.   Any takers on that?

The Marlins hit 43 more HRs than the Pirates last year and just lost 114 of them in three players. We have to assume Marte, Polanco and Cervelli will hit more than they did last year if they get 500+ at bats.

I will take the HR bet that the Pirates won't be last in that category.