Jamison Taillon

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Jamison Taillon

Post by JollyRoger »

So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

Perhaps Cole is whispering in their ears.

The Bucs are obviously in rebuild mode.

However, I think it would be foolish to trade Taillon

Some folks will say he is already 29 and the Bucs only have 2 years of control.

I say Taillon is the perfect candidate to build the rotation around.

He was the #2 player taken in the 2010 draft.

Do to injuries and the cancer season he has only pitched 4 seasons averting 116 innings per season. Therefore his arm is still fresh.

He has a 29-24 record with an ERA of 3.55 Those stats were accomplished on a sub .500 team. Cole at least had a solid team for 3 years backing him up.

Taillon has averaged a strikeout per inning and has a 4-1 strikeout to walk ratio. Not going to find better options.

I think we need to extend his contract as the veteran to mentor our influx of young pitchers. The Pirates can obviously afford to pay him

10-15M a year and still have a payroll south of 40M

What say the members of OBN?
Bobster21

Jamison Taillon

Post by Bobster21 »

5C797A7A6F4479717364160 wrote: So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

Do to injuries and the cancer season he has only pitched 4 seasons averting 116 innings per season. Therefore his arm is still fresh.

He has a 29-24 record with an ERA of 3.55 Those stats were accomplished on a sub .500 team. Cole at least had a solid team for 3 years backing him up.

Taillon has averaged a strikeout per inning and has a 4-1 strikeout to walk ratio. Not going to find better options.

I think we need to extend his contract as the veteran to mentor our influx of young pitchers. The Pirates can obviously afford to pay him

What say the  members of OBN?

Why would he want to sign an extension to remain with the Pirates? If he's ever going to stay healthy long enough to construct a career, his next contract will likely take him through his prime. I cannot imagine that he wants to remain a Pirate thru those years if he could play for a competitive team instead of committing to the Pirates and just hoping maybe someday Nutting will change his ways.

I suspect the only reason he would ever sign an extension to stay would be if he was afraid he would have more health issues before his FA year of 2023 and would want guaranteed money in case he couldn't play. And that would be a poor reason to extend him.
GreenWeenie

Jamison Taillon

Post by GreenWeenie »

55707373664D70787A6D1F0 wrote: So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

A GM's job is to make the best decision in the club's interest.

Not a matter of whether I like the guy.

I'd deal him, as much as I'd prefer not to.

Give me what I want, and he's yours.  My club finished .317 and.....you guessed it:  dead last.

Part of the reason?  I've got a 29-year-old who can't get through a season.

Bottom line.

I feel bad about it.

Reinforce:  they have to give me what I want for him, or he stays put.
BellevueBuc

Jamison Taillon

Post by BellevueBuc »

4F6A69697C576A626077050 wrote: So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

I am not following a lot of this. How would Cole be whispering in his ear? About what? Taillon is in no place to ask for a trade. He was also the #2 pick a decade ago, so that does not matter at all. He could be a good starter, no need to be generous on the stats. Cannot really ignore if is he going to ever be healthy.

Most importantly, why would the Pirates pay $15M to a guy that is only going to get $2.5 next year?
GreenWeenie

Jamison Taillon

Post by GreenWeenie »

694E47474E5D5E4E695E482B0 wrote: So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

I am not following a lot of this.  How would Cole be whispering in his ear? About what? Taillon is in no place to ask for a trade. He was also the #2 pick a decade ago, so that does not matter at all.   He could be a good starter, no need to be generous on the stats. Cannot really ignore if is he going to ever be healthy.

Most importantly, why would the Pirates pay $15M to a guy that is only going to get $2.5 next year?

BVB,

I think what he means is that Cole could be whispering in the Yankee's GM's ear to go out and get Taillion; to make a trade with the Pirates to get him.
JollyRoger

Jamison Taillon

Post by JollyRoger »

64434A4A43505343645345260 wrote: So there are rumors that the Yanks may be interested in Taillon.

I am not following a lot of this.  How would Cole be whispering in his ear? About what? Taillon is in no place to ask for a trade. He was also the #2 pick a decade ago, so that does not matter at all.   He could be a good starter, no need to be generous on the stats. Cannot really ignore if is he going to ever be healthy.

The point on Cole is that he was a longtime teammate of Taillon and recognizes the talent that Taillon possesses. The Yankees would be making a trade when Taillons value is low but his upside is still high.

What are the options for the Pirates. They are never going to pay a Cole contract or a sum that Bauer will surely get

If they draft Rocker (which I surely hope they do) and add him to Priester, Malone etc; that staff has potential but will be a couple of years away. The current ML starters is a mess. Keller is getting his feet wet, Musgrove is an enigma, Kuhl has been inconsistent. Which leaves Brault as our current ace. Brault is also probably our best hitter other than Hayes.

The 10-15 million I suggest is to buy out Some of Taillons free agent years. I think he still has the upside to be a frontline starter.

I agree that there are health risks but that is why you can get him on the cheap. Of course this assumes that he would be willing to sign an extension with the Pirates. The way the Pirates are running their business currently; I doubt many if any players would want to commit to this organization unless they show a change in direction.
Bobster21

Jamison Taillon

Post by Bobster21 »

2A0F0C0C19320F070512600 wrote:

The point on Cole is that he was a longtime teammate of Taillon and recognizes the talent that Taillon possesses.
Actually, they were only teammates for Taillon's rookie season of 2016 when he was recalled for the 2nd half of the season and for all of 2017 during which Taillon was fairly mediocre going 8-7 with a 4.44 ERA and missed a month with injuries. So I don't think Cole has all that much knowledge about Taillon. Taillon's only full season was 2018 when Cole was pitching for Houston.
GreenWeenie

Jamison Taillon

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB-ster,

I was wondering about that myself. Taillon hasn't played long enough to be a long-time teammate of anybody's. ;)

I guess "long" these days is a couple of games.
ArnoldRothstein

Jamison Taillon

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

There's lots of stuff on the net that Cole and Taillon are close - shared Spring Training houses, wife/girlfriend are also close.

You just want to be careful when you're selling something and the buyer might know more about the thing than you do.
GreenWeenie

Jamison Taillon

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ben's been ***seeing what he has****, so he should know what he has.