Newman / Tucker

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChillinStation

Newman / Tucker

Post by ChillinStation »

Not sure if I can start a new thread or if I post in off season thread?  :-?

BC seems to have a good feel on Newman, said the guy gets after it in the offseason to work on game. Last year they told him to work on defense. This year Newman knows what to work on! Motivation should not be a problem so going to think we get a real solid season, next year out of him.

Tucker is going to be Difo, as long as he doesn`t totally mess up in ST. Thinking Chavis / Newman in the middle with Tucker, giving everyone a day off. Put up or move on time for the 1st rounder.

Castillo and Cruz on the way. It`s bad but we have seen worse. The arrow points up. :P
fjk090852-7

Newman / Tucker

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If either one struggles at the plate in ST I would think the Pirates may move on from them. There are enough middle infielders on the roster who could replace them. I like Tucker’s enthusiasm, but I am not completely sold on the final 2 weeks of last season whenever his hitting was exceptional.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Newman / Tucker

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

As soon as Cruz is ready to come to the big leagues, neither Newman nor Tucker should get any playing time that would prevent Cruz from being on the field. Neither of the two is the future.
Bobster21

Newman / Tucker

Post by Bobster21 »

59727376767374496E7B6E7375741A0 wrote: Not sure if I can start a new thread or if I post in off season thread?  :-?

BC seems to have a good feel on Newman, said the guy gets after it in the offseason to work on game. Last year they told him to work on defense. This year Newman knows what to work on! Motivation should not be a problem so going to think we get a real solid season, next year out of him.

Tucker is going to be Difo, as long as he doesn`t totally mess up in ST. Thinking Chavis / Newman in the middle with Tucker, giving everyone a day off. Put up or move on time for the 1st rounder.

Castillo and Cruz on the way. It`s bad but we have seen worse. The arrow points up. :P
I agree. I think if they had any faith that Tucker could be their starting SS they would not have kept Newman. They have both Cruz and Peguero as future SSs but at the moment, Newman seems to be the only viable option. And I think Tucker will probably stick as a utility player until someone better comes along. But that could be sooner than later if Marcano or Castro get early call ups. And Newman is just a placeholder for Cruz, who could be replacing him before the season is over if the season even starts. Chavis seems to be the odds on choice for 2B.
SyrBucco

Newman / Tucker

Post by SyrBucco »

If you look at their splits, Tucker and Chavis appear to form an effective platoon. I would entrust 2B to them. Chavis can also pick up starts at 3B and 1B.

Though Tucker can certainly play some SS, I'm really rooting for Newman to regain his batting success from 2019. He's an excellent defensive shortstop.