Is this becoming a lost art?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I thought board members might enjoy this article a friend of mine (KC fan) sent to me this morning. All the sabermetrics and tech is great, but is it too much at some point?

https://ballnine.com/2022/09/07/death-of-the-fungo/
mouse

Post by mouse »

What an interesting article! This may explain why batters can only pull the ball. Marcano, for example. He could use some time with Harry Walker
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

That is a great article even though it blasts the Bucs. It tells just one example of what is happening all over baseball with all the technology available.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Thank you for the article; a great read.

Not sure that BC, Shelton or any of the coaches (but gotta believe Don Kelly can handle a fungo bat) would care, but this should be required reading for all. Collectively, they should get off their butts and harken back to when they entered the game and what they did to learn.

One of the things I have really liked about Suwinski is that when he gets back to the dug-out after an at-bat he writes down notes rather than simply burying his head in the Tablet.

Lastly, I also wonder what Maz would have to say.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Great article. I’m stunned that some baseball coaches anywhere, but especially in pro ball, can’t hit fungos. I would think that’s one of those things that anyone who’s ever played baseball seriously could do innately.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

683E283C332939323F281A3D373B333674395A0 wrote: Great article.  I’m stunned that some baseball coaches anywhere, but especially in pro ball, can’t hit fungos.  I would think that’s one of those things that anyone who’s ever played baseball seriously could do innately.

a sporting goods company should capitalize on this and make special fungo hitting gloves.

Everyone would want a pair and would love to hit fungoes.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

082E2F382E3E4D0 wrote: Great article.  I’m stunned that some baseball coaches anywhere, but especially in pro ball, can’t hit fungos.  I would think that’s one of those things that anyone who’s ever played baseball seriously could do innately.

a sporting goods company should capitalize on this and make special fungo hitting gloves.

Everyone would want a pair and would love to hit fungoes.

Capitalism at it’s best. See a need in the market and fill it.