52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Why choose 52? Why not? I'm bored, MLB news in general, and Pirates news in particular, has slowed to barely a drip.

So that's why, it just happened to be the day I was most bored. So, doing that countdown kind of thing, I'll put players names who have worn that number for the Pirates.

52-Wayne Osborne, Tommy Thevenow, George Witt, Dorn Taylor, Moises Alou, John Wehner, Brad Clontz, Alex Hernandez, Victor Santos, Franquelis Osoria, Chris Bootcheck, Joel Hanrahan, Rob Scahill, Phil Coke, Curtis Patch, Jack Leathersich, Jhan Marinez, Tanner Anderson, Clay Holmes, Anthony Banda, Eric Stout
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

082E293C35392E38305B0 wrote: Why choose 52? Why not? I'm bored, MLB news in general, and Pirates news in particular, has slowed to barely a drip.

So that's why, it just happened to be the day I was most bored. So, doing that countdown kind of thing, I'll put players names who have worn that number for the Pirates.

52-Wayne Osborne, Tommy Thevenow, George Witt, Dorn Taylor, Moises Alou, John Wehner, Brad Clontz, Alex Hernandez, Victor Santos, Franquelis Osoria, Chris Bootcheck, Joel Hanrahan, Rob Scahill, Phil Coke, Curtis Patch, Jack Leathersich, Jhan Marinez, Tanner Anderson, Clay Holmes, Anthony Banda, Eric Stout
According to baseball reference, Thevenow, Witt and Alex Hernandez never wore 52 for the Pirates. But maybe they wore it in spring training.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... bers.shtml
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

My source for names was baseball almanac. I'm assuming if a guy was ever assigned a number for a team, he was given credit for having worn it.

Thevenow is listed having worn it in 1938 as well as #22, Witt in 1957 as well as #38, and Hernandez in 2000. All of them are listed having worn #52 according to the team roster for those seasons on wikipedia and baseball almanac.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4E686F7A737F687E761D0 wrote: My source for names was baseball almanac. I'm assuming if a guy was ever assigned a number for a team, he was given credit for having worn it.

Thevenow is listed having worn it in 1938 as well as #22, Witt in 1957 as well as #38, and Hernandez in 2000. All of them are listed having worn #52 according to the team roster for those seasons on wikipedia and baseball almanac.
Interesting. Baseball Reference is a great site but then again, so is Baseball Almanac. In Witt's case, he made his MLB debut on September 21, 1957 and only appeared in that one game that year but has two numbers shown by Baseball Almanac. Maybe 52 was assigned to him the day he arrived from AAA and he changed it before he got into a game. Numbers above the 40s were usually just for spring training or September call ups back then. But even at that, Baseball Almanac shows his other number in 1957 was 38 and baseball reference doesn't even show a number for him that year.

I'm inclined to believe what you found in Baseball Almanac is correct. I've occasionally found a mistake on Baseball Reference. In fact, they have a function for feedback or to suggest corrections. I got them to add include 7/17/60 in the game log for Don Newcombe when he was ejected before throwing his first pitch vs the Pirates. They had omitted it from his game log even though he is in the boxscore as the starter. They made the correction.   
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

51 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 51:

Johnny Welch, Russ Bauers, Odell Jones, Terry Forster, Jesse Jefferson, Doug Frobel, Bob Kipper, Dave Rucker, Ray Quinones, Carlos Garcia, Tony Womack, Rich Loiselle, Michael Gonzalez, Carlos Maldonado, Steve Pearce, Wandy Rodriguez, Matt Hague, Pedro Florimon, Gorkys Hernandez, Tyler Glasnow, Johnny Barbato, Alex McRae, Jason Martin, David Bednar
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

50 days till the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 50:

Clise Dudley, Lloyd Johnson, Mace Brown, Jim Tobin, Kent Tekulve, John Candelaria, Eddie Vargas, Barry Jones, Dave LaPoint, Stan Belinda, Mark Dewey, Dennis Konuszewski, Andy Barkett, Marc Wilkins, Julian Tavarez, Jose Bautista, Matt Lawton, Tom Gorzelanny, Dave Davidson, Virgil Vazquez, Brian Bass, Charlie Morton, Jameson Taillon, Shelby Miller, Travis Swaggerty.

Interesting that for three succeeding players, their first and last names started with the same letter. I wonder if this was some sort of inside joke for a bit with the Pirates.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

49 days till the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 49:

Ralph Birkofer, Ed Brandt, Ben Guintini, Chris Zachary, Juan Pizarro, John Candelaria, Dave May, Dave Roberts, Vance Law, Victor Cruz, Larry McWilliams, Hipolito Pena, Jeff Robinson, Mark Ross, Jerry Reuss, Jerry Don Gleaton, Tim Wakefield, Ross Powell, Matt Ruebel, Jeff Tabaka, Josias Manzanillo, Jeff Reboulet, Jose Mesa, Nate McLouth, Ross Ohlendorf, Jeff Locke, Nick Kingham, Parker Markel, Michael Feliz, Dustin Fowler.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

466067727B7760767E150 wrote: 49 days till the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 49:

Ralph Birkofer, Ed Brandt, Ben Guintini, Chris Zachary, Juan Pizarro, John Candelaria, Dave May, Dave Roberts, Vance Law, Victor Cruz, Larry McWilliams, Hipolito Pena, Jeff Robinson, Mark Ross, Jerry Reuss, Jerry Don Gleaton, Tim Wakefield, Ross Powell, Matt Ruebel, Jeff Tabaka, Josias Manzanillo, Jeff Reboulet, Jose Mesa, Nate McLouth, Ross Ohlendorf, Jeff Locke, Nick Kingham, Parker Markel, Michael Feliz, Dustin Fowler.

There can’t be too many names more pleasing to say than Parker Markel.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1B4D5B4F405A4A414C5B694E44484045074A290 wrote: 49 days till the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 49:

And who could forget Mark and Sparkle Farkel?

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: 49 days till the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 49:

And who could forget Mark and Sparkle Farkel?

Certainly not their dog, Barker Farkel.