Where has the mogo gone for the Pirates Pen?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Well, our young starting pitching is giving me hope. Cutch is hitting, Frazier continues to get on base, Harrison is doing the same by HBP and Mercer is still my SS of choice! If only the front office would play Diaz at catcher :-/ And then again, we still have the Pirates Bullpen. Where has our mogo gone? I would have banked on Rivero getting the 3 outs last night. Stuff happens, but still the pen is not dependable. Hopefully something will click so cause our beloved Bucs could still be in on the NL Central...Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The past couple games it appears the bullpen has done its job. They need a string of several games in which they hold a lead and then turn the ninth inning over to Rivero. That would be a big confidence builder.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

The team site article on the game reported that Watson's velocity seems to be up again. It's funny what a few ticks in velocity can do. Hope that's right. It could be a big difference maker for him -- and us.

"Elementary for Watson: When Taillon left the game with one out in the seventh and runners on first and second, Hurdle put the game in the hands of left-hander Watson, Pittsburgh's former closer. Watson struck out Corey Dickerson on three pitches, then got Evan Longoria to pop out on the first pitch of his at-bat. Watson's velocity appears to be back in top form, as each of his three sinkers clocked in above 94.5 mph, according to Statcast™."

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/2 ... beat-rays/
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

7253464F774E55465342270 wrote: The team site article on the game reported that Watson's velocity seems to be up again. It's funny what a few ticks in velocity can do. Hope that's right. It could be a big difference maker for him -- and us.

"Elementary for Watson: When Taillon left the game with one out in the seventh and runners on first and second, Hurdle put the game in the hands of left-hander Watson, Pittsburgh's former closer. Watson struck out Corey Dickerson on three pitches, then got Evan Longoria to pop out on the first pitch of his at-bat. Watson's velocity appears to be back in top form, as each of his three sinkers clocked in above 94.5 mph, according to Statcast™."

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/2 ... beat-rays/

Typically, it makes such a huge difference because fastball velocity changes don't necessarily correlate with offspeed velocity changes. In other words, if the fastball loses 2mph, the changeup and breaking balls don't always lose 2mph. If they don't, the difference in speed becomes less and therefore it's easier for the hitter to just gear up for offspeed and still catch up to the fastball.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That's interesting, dave3BA. I wouldn't have thought. I would assume all the other pitches would be slower too.

There is a big difference in 94mph vs. 96mph. There are a lot of players in the minors who can top out at 94mph and don't get a shot. If they hit 96mph, they would probably be in a major league bullpen.

Watson needs to get back up over 95mph. He has been topping out at 93mph fro a long time.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Watson actually looked really good last night- vintage Watson.  I didn't take note of the velocity, but his pitches seemed to have good bite.  Man I hope that is a sign of good things to come from him.