Pittsburgh Pirates Top 43 Prospects

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

2C6F766D7E6B7A6C2C1F0 wrote: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pittsburgh- ... ects-2023/
Thanks for sharing, 3bucs. Good to see a list that includes the Rookie league guys.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I know that Nick Gonzales has had injury issues the past two seasons but he’s really fallen off the map. What are we to make of the reports from so many baseball people when he was drafted about his hitting, about him being the best college hitter in that draft? Were they that wrong? Surely the injuries haven’t caused him to lose his ability.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3264726669736368657240676D61696C2E63000 wrote: I know that Nick Gonzales has had injury issues the past two seasons but he’s really fallen off the map.  What are we to make of the reports from so many baseball people when he was drafted about his hitting, about him being the best college hitter in that draft?  Were they that wrong?  Surely the injuries haven’t caused him to lose his ability.      

His bat is rated low by Fangraphs. 30/35. I think they have soured on him because he just hasn't hit well yet as a professional at higher than A ball. However, I think his injuries means he deserves a break. If he hits this season he could be back to being a top prospect. Frankly the ratings for speed, power, and fielding are decent. His ratings aren't that different than Peguero who played at the same level but is younger.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

In looking at this list, it appears that the Pirates have no shortstops who could become regulars. Peguro is now pegged as a second baseman, as are a number of other prospects: Johnson, Rodriguez (catcher), Bae, Truillo, Gonzalez, and others.

In short, with Newman now gone, it looks like Cruz at short for the long term. I know there were injuries last year, but no wonder they were giving Castro, Castillo, and others time at short.

There was a lot to like in this list, particularly the comments about Rodriguez and Ortiz, as well as the comments regarding pitchers who could soon step in as relievers, but the defensive assessment of Peguro was depressing.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0A262E292205322434470 wrote: In looking at this list, it appears that the Pirates have no shortstops who could become regulars.  Peguro is now pegged as a second baseman, as are a number of other prospects: Johnson, Rodriguez (catcher), Bae, Truillo, Gonzalez, and others.

In short, with Newman now gone, it looks like Cruz at short for the long term.  I know there were injuries last year, but no wonder they were giving Castro, Castillo, and others time at short. 

There was a lot to like in this list, particularly the comments about Rodriguez and Ortiz, as well as the comments regarding pitchers who could soon step in as relievers, but the defensive assessment of Peguro was depressing.

Why have they soured on Peguero playing SS? As early as last year it sounded like he was the future there.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6335233738223239342311363C30383D7F32510 wrote: In looking at this list, it appears that the Pirates have no shortstops who could become regulars.  Peguro is now pegged as a second baseman, as are a number of other prospects: Johnson, Rodriguez (catcher), Bae, Truillo, Gonzalez, and others.

In short, with Newman now gone, it looks like Cruz at short for the long term.  I know there were injuries last year, but no wonder they were giving Castro, Castillo, and others time at short. 

Why have they soured on Peguero playing SS?  As early as last year it sounded like he was the future there.

I'm guessing that since they are giving Cruz the chance to solidify himself as the SS, they want to see if Peguero can convert to 2B. And if Cruz makes too many errors at SS, they still have Peguero to take over that spot.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Thank you for the link, 3Pirates3. Interesting article.