2024 MLB Playoff Pool

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Re: 2024 MLB Playoff Pool

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:41 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:28 am Gotta love It!!!
To hell with the Phillies!!!
Can you image if three of the four teams that advance are from San Diego, Kansas City, and Detroit. The TV execs will be jumping out of buildings.
And I'd love to see it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:10 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:49 am
Javy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 1:15 am

Annnnnnd, that is why I chose the Phillies reluctantly. They are not good in the clutch, either offensively or pitching-wise. i'm listening to the local post game show and they are talking about serious changes to the roster. Given how much some of these guys make, I don't see a huge market for guys like Castellanos, Realmuto, Nola or possibly Schwarber. The only guys that would be attractive to other teams are guys like Stott and Bohm, possibly C.Sanchez.

Gonna be a very long winter in Philadelphia.
Isn't it funny how opposite ends of the spectrum, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, see problems with their rosters. Pirates fans would die to have the talent, the ownership, and regular season success that the Phillies have. Yet, for Phillies fans, if all of that combined doesn't win a championship, it's a disaster.
There's anger and disappointment out here, naturally. Some of these people are pretty extreme in their viewpoints. Fire the manager, coaches, get rid of players like Turner, Nola and Castellanos, for example. But, ownership has committed to bringing a winner to this region. Unlike our owner, they sign players off the market, and pay to keep players they have developed. Have they overpaid? Sure. But they have been competitive for several years now, and will likely stay that way for a period of time.

That is all I want for the Bucs. Keep the team's core together, and stay relevant year in and year out, not unlike the Braves and Cardinals have done. They aren't always championship contenders, but they identify core players and strive to keep them. For example, the Braves signed Riley, Harris, Albies, Strider and Acuna early in their careers and build around them with stars like Olson.

The Bucs are faced with a dilemna, namely Skenes and Jones. They need to sign them long-term now, talking 6-7 year deals, like Hayes and Reynolds. Yeah, they'll pay a little more up front than they would by going through the arb process, but the way they operate, they will opt to pay them as little as possible through the arbitration process, (and piss them off) and lose them in ill-advised trades or outright free agency. They will have Skenes for 1 year less than they normally would because he will likely finish 1st or 2nd in the ROY voting and gain a years arbitration eligibility by doing so. This will expedite his salary through arb and make the Pirates move him prematurely. And then the circle of frustration starts all over.
I don't disagree, Javy, the Pirates should make every attempt to sign both Skenes and Jones long term as soon as possible. But both of those guys, having witnessed how the Pirates operate over the past season, would have to have concluded that they'd be crazy to sign a deal here. And I'm sure their agents would advise against it, too. Any good young player in Pittsburgh, to maximize his career, would be best suited to leave here as soon as possible because of this owner.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:59 pm
Javy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:10 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:49 am

Isn't it funny how opposite ends of the spectrum, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, see problems with their rosters. Pirates fans would die to have the talent, the ownership, and regular season success that the Phillies have. Yet, for Phillies fans, if all of that combined doesn't win a championship, it's a disaster.
There's anger and disappointment out here, naturally. Some of these people are pretty extreme in their viewpoints. Fire the manager, coaches, get rid of players like Turner, Nola and Castellanos, for example. But, ownership has committed to bringing a winner to this region. Unlike our owner, they sign players off the market, and pay to keep players they have developed. Have they overpaid? Sure. But they have been competitive for several years now, and will likely stay that way for a period of time.

That is all I want for the Bucs. Keep the team's core together, and stay relevant year in and year out, not unlike the Braves and Cardinals have done. They aren't always championship contenders, but they identify core players and strive to keep them. For example, the Braves signed Riley, Harris, Albies, Strider and Acuna early in their careers and build around them with stars like Olson.

The Bucs are faced with a dilemna, namely Skenes and Jones. They need to sign them long-term now, talking 6-7 year deals, like Hayes and Reynolds. Yeah, they'll pay a little more up front than they would by going through the arb process, but the way they operate, they will opt to pay them as little as possible through the arbitration process, (and piss them off) and lose them in ill-advised trades or outright free agency. They will have Skenes for 1 year less than they normally would because he will likely finish 1st or 2nd in the ROY voting and gain a years arbitration eligibility by doing so. This will expedite his salary through arb and make the Pirates move him prematurely. And then the circle of frustration starts all over.
I don't disagree, Javy, the Pirates should make every attempt to sign both Skenes and Jones long term as soon as possible. But both of those guys, having witnessed how the Pirates operate over the past season, would have to have concluded that they'd be crazy to sign a deal here. And I'm sure their agents would advise against it, too. Any good young player in Pittsburgh, to maximize his career, would be best suited to leave here as soon as possible because of this owner.
All the more reason that I am surprised that Reynolds wanted to stay here. He did say that he felt
very comfortable living in Pittsburgh with his wife and kids.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Hell of a game going on between Tigers/Cleveland
Doc

Post by Doc »

There’s a video on mlb.com showing the damage to the roof at Tropicana Field. Maybe it was taken by a drone? It’s worth a look.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The Guardians hang on to win 5-4 to tie the series at two games apiece. They resume play on Saturday in Cleveland. In the meantime, the Yankees are leading KC 2-0 in the 5th and can close out the series with a win.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Go Padres! Go Tigers!

That said it will probably be Mets/Dodgers and Yankees/Indians
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:53 am There’s a video on mlb.com showing the damage to the roof at Tropicana Field. Maybe it was taken by a drone? It’s worth a look.
Wow! It got me to wondering, what if they just left it open air? Is that practical? I also never realized it was a fabric dome like the old Pontiac Silverdome.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:38 am
Doc wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:53 am There’s a video on mlb.com showing the damage to the roof at Tropicana Field. Maybe it was taken by a drone? It’s worth a look.
Wow! It got me to wondering, what if they just left it open air? Is that practical? I also never realized it was a fabric dome like the old Pontiac Silverdome.
I'd guess The Trop was built to have a roof mostly because of the heat. It'd be pretty hard to watch games there in the summer without the benefit of AC. The Rays have enough trouble drawing fans as it is, and they're usually competitive.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The Royals fun season came to an end last night as the Yankees win to advance to the ALCS. They await the winner of the Cleveland/Detroit series, the deciding game scheduled for Saturday.