Pirates Current Payroll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just noticed the Pirates current team payroll for this season is $35, 750,000. That is ridiculous! I still wonder why the Players Union didn’t demand some type of floor in the current CBA. Even if the penalty for not reaching the floor was similar to the CBT where in this case a team would be fined, or not receive a draft choice for not meeting the annual floor amount. The Marlins are spending twice as much as the Pirates this year. If I remember correctly they are also one of the 4 teams which the Players Union has filed a grievance. I am so fed up with Nutting, and his cheap ways. He has to be the worst owner in all sports.
WildwoodDave2

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

717D7C272E272F22253A20170 wrote: I just noticed the Pirates current team payroll for this season is $35, 750,000. That is ridiculous! I still wonder why the Players Union didn’t demand some type of floor in the current CBA. Even if the penalty for not reaching the floor was similar to the CBT where in this case a team would be fined, or not receive a draft choice for not meeting the annual floor amount. The Marlins  are spending twice as much as the Pirates this year. If I remember correctly they are also one of the 4 teams which the Players Union has filed a grievance. I am so fed up with Nutting, and his cheap ways. He has to be the worst owner in all sports.
Welcome to the dark side!
GreenWeenie

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

737F7E252C252D20273822150 wrote: I just noticed the Pirates current team payroll for this season is $35, 750,000. That is ridiculous! I still wonder why the Players Union didn’t demand some type of floor in the current CBA. Even if the penalty for not reaching the floor was similar to the CBT where in this case a team would be fined, or not receive a draft choice for not meeting the annual floor amount. The Marlins  are spending twice as much as the Pirates this year. If I remember correctly they are also one of the 4 teams which the Players Union has filed a grievance. I am so fed up with Nutting, and his cheap ways. He has to be the worst owner in all sports.

Not nearly enough care nearly enough.

Nobody in Pittsburgh cared when misers ran clubs in other places.

It's our turn, unfortunately.

Players on other teams are glad that it's not them.
Surgnbuck

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by Surgnbuck »

112F2A22312929220227302374460 wrote: I just noticed the Pirates current team payroll for this season is $35, 750,000. That is ridiculous! I still wonder why the Players Union didn’t demand some type of floor in the current CBA. Even if the penalty for not reaching the floor was similar to the CBT where in this case a team would be fined, or not receive a draft choice for not meeting the annual floor amount. The Marlins  are spending twice as much as the Pirates this year. If I remember correctly they are also one of the 4 teams which the Players Union has filed a grievance. I am so fed up with Nutting, and his cheap ways. He has to be the worst owner in all sports.
Welcome to the dark side!
Lord Helmet!
GreenWeenie

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

Knicks and Lions fans have their nominees. Interestingly enough, the two of them operate in the cap/floor system. Those two are incompetent.

BOB wins. He's incompetent and CHEAP.
MaineBucs

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by MaineBucs »

Perhaps what is even harder to believe is that the Bucs signed Perez for $5 mil, another $4 mil or so on Tsui--, and Reynolds will earn at least $4.2 through arbitration.

In short, the team payroll could drop even further if BC got it together and moved Reynolds to one of the teams that covet him, or he is able to unload Perez and/or Tsui part way through the season. With Nutting, there is no ceiling, just a floor that can always be lower.

GreenWeenie

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sadly, BOB was the lesser of some other evils at the time.

On the list? John Rigas, once of Adelphia Cable.

We get what we got. :(
Surgnbuck

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just playing devil's advocate here. Reynolds was offered a contract figure, and chose arbitration. We don't know what was offered by the team.

He chose arbitration, not the Pirates. He chose the process, not the Pirates. They exchanged figures, a process that was approved by the CBA.

The process involved those figures to be exchanged, which I'm assuming neither had knowledge of what the other's offer would be.

So does it make the Pirates cheap? What if the arbiter goes for their number? Does that make them cheap still? If the arbiter goes for Reynolds number, the Pirates are obligated to pay that number. Would they still be cheap then?
mouse

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by mouse »

Perhaps the better question is, if the Pirates actually had a choice, would they still be offering what he's asking or what they offered? Or would they be offering league minimum?
fjk090852-7

Pirates Current Payroll

Post by fjk090852-7 »

725E56515A7D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: Perhaps what is even harder to believe is that the Bucs signed Perez for $5 mil, another $4 mil or so on Tsui--, and Reynolds will earn at least $4.2 through arbitration. 

In short, the team payroll could drop even further if BC got it together and moved Reynolds to one of the teams that covet him, or he is able to unload Perez and/or Tsui part way through the season.    With Nutting, there is no ceiling, just a floor that can always be lower.   

I am tired of him being cheap. His team is playing in a tax funded ballpark. He should be willing and obligated to put a competitive team on the field. We know the Pirates cannot spend like the Yanks or Dodgers, but the Brewers are small market, and they spend. I would wish that the politicians, and local media would begin to put his feet to the fire. When he treats his star player like he has with Reynolds, why would any free agent ever want to sign with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a great sports city, but an owner like Nutting makes an outside player feels he is coming to Hell. It is time for Bob Nutting to begin operating like an owner who wants to field a competitive team, and not a minor league team.