I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB trade rumors report on Nats starts off: After more than three years of rebuilding, the Nationals enter the off season with a very clean long payroll outlook, young core players emerging at multiple spots on the roster, and a front office that sounds motivated to get back to contention.

After 8 or more years of rebuilding the Pirates still lack a motivated front office (starting with owner).
Lumber Co

Post by Lumber Co »

the cancer of the team is the owner, get him out of the way and things will improve. :cry:
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade Rumors said this about the Rangers:

Reunions with Eovaldi and/or Heaney won’t come cheaply, however. Eovaldi’s two-year, $34MM deal proved to be a bargain, even as incentives ballooned his guarantee to a total of $38.5MM over his two years.

I can't believe Bob Nutting would ever say such a contract is a bargain.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:18 pm MLB Trade Rumors said this about the Rangers:

Reunions with Eovaldi and/or Heaney won’t come cheaply, however. Eovaldi’s two-year, $34MM deal proved to be a bargain, even as incentives ballooned his guarantee to a total of $38.5MM over his two years.

I can't believe Bob Nutting would ever say such a contract is a bargain.
$38.5 million sounds about right to Nutting. For the whole payroll.
German Township

Post by German Township »

Read the TERRIBLE news this morning regarding the end of season statements from Cherrington blaming himself for why the team played so poorly. On top of hat, he also gave the news that Shelton will be coming back. OWNERSHIP does not care about the fans, and how the great majority of us feel. As long as Nutting is making his $35-40 million each and every year from the MLB owners, tv and radio, he will NEVER do the right thing. I root for the underdogs when it comes to the playoffs and World Series. Go Royals, Tigers, and Brewers!!!
mouse

Post by mouse »

I read that statement and wasn't sure it even made sense. But he figures to stay on, but so did Huntington. We'll see if Nutting makes a belated move.

- Gary
Babe Adams

Post by Babe Adams »

I think that's pretty much where they went with Liriano's second deal, 3/$39 million. I think that's the biggest deal NH gave out to a true free agent, where they weren't getting a discount on a player they already controlled? My guess is that would run to about 3/$50 million today. I think giving a fourth year to someone would indicate a real change to their risk algorithm.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Amazing! In his press conference, Cherington explained having Shelton return by saying, “I believe he can help lead us toward winning in 2025.”

Cherington chooses his words carefully. No talk of actual winning. We just want to go toward winning. By that standard, 77 wins in 2025 would be "leading them toward winning."

A lot of things could be interpreted as leading toward winning without, you know, actual winning. A prospect working out could satisfy the requirement of heading toward winning. So could an improved bullpen. Or scoring more runs. Without actually winning, a lot of things could happen to suggest heading toward winning and thus deem losing seasons to be successful. Cherington is already setting up low expectations for 2025 and doing it in a way where he can claim that things are going in the right direction if we just have patience.

Cherington is starting to make Dave Littlefield look bearable. Littlefield wasn't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. He was just grossly incompetent. Cherington seems to be a lying, conniving con artist whose best, if not only, skill is his ability to continuously spew BS in an attempt to masquerade as a competent GM and keep his job. Sadly, Nutting doesn't care if Cherington's a good GM or not. Winning doesn't matter as long as the fans think the team is heading toward winning someday.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Babe Adams

Post by Babe Adams »

Also BC yesterday: ""I think we also want to build a team, a hitting team that is really working together, and so that it's not all on one person to bear the burden of the offensive performance of the team. I don't think that's the best way in modern baseball. It was that way for a long time, and I remember days when the hitting coach of the of the Red Sox was just, he was sort of singularly responsible or felt that way for the performance of the major-league group....I don't think it can be that way anymore."

One of several BC statements that sound like the analytics people are just going to take over, with field instruction executing what the analysts direct.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Babe Adams wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:24 pm
I think that's pretty much where they went with Liriano's second deal, 3/$39 million. I think that's the biggest deal NH gave out to a true free agent, where they weren't getting a discount on a player they already controlled? My guess is that would run to about 3/$50 million today. I think giving a fourth year to someone would indicate a real change to their risk algorithm.
Liriano’s deal was for $13 million per year, which is what Reynold’s deal will average over its life. Perhaps that’s Nutting’s high point regardless of the player involved. If that’s the case, the Pirates will unlikely ever be a serious competitor for even an above average free agent because they’ll always be outbid.