Streak

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Streak

Post by iabucco »

I need to win the lottery and quit my job. This streak started when I took a road trip with my wife to Manhattan. We left on Wednesday, July 11th and came back on the Monday before the All star game. Then on Friday, I went to visit my brother in Chicago and left Deal Moines before noon on Friday and came back today after the game. Clearly, every time I leave Des Moines the Pirates win. I need to win the lottery or start a GoFundMe account to leave Des Moines. ?
dmetz

Streak

Post by dmetz »

36-26 rest of the way and we finish with 87 wins. That would do it for a wildcard.

This can be done. All it took to get into position to do it was a 1 in 500 9 game win streak and 11 out of 12..

They did it
SteadyFreddy

Streak

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t know if they are capable of playing ten games over .500 the rest of this season. Just too much inconsistency across the board with this team for me especially with the starting pitching. The schedule in August is brutal too. They have two 9 game road trips one at the beginning of the month and the end of the month into September. So the Pirates better win these games this weekend st home against the Mets and take advantage of any kind of break in their schedule the next few weeks. The series with the Mets is one of those breaks where you better win at least 3 maybe 4 games if you wanna go 36-26 and win 87 games and get in the playoffs.
rucker59@gmail.com

Streak

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5D7A6B6F6A77487C6B6A6A770E0 wrote: I don’t know if they are capable of playing ten games over .500 the rest of this season. Just too much inconsistency across the board with this team for me especially with the starting pitching. The schedule in August is brutal too. They have two 9 game road trips one at the beginning of the month and the end of the month into September. So the Pirates better win these games this weekend st home against the Mets and take advantage of any kind of break in their schedule the next few weeks. The series with the Mets is one of those breaks where you better win at least 3 maybe 4 games if you wanna go 36-26 and win 87 games  and get in the playoffs.

They’re capable. Doesn’t mean they will. But they are capable.

Even more - I like their chances if they simply play well, consistent. The lineup is proving what they’re capable of 1-8. The pitching is showing they are capable of shutting things down.

They don’t have to play at the crazy level of the past two weeks; but they don’t have to win 90+ % of their remaining games. They have to win about 60%. And a big portion of those 10 games can come this week: I’m thinking if they can win 6 of the next 7 games they should be within a couple of the wildcard. 5-2 would be good. But 6-1 will go a long way to push into the playoffs.

August and September: every team in the division will have the opportunity to control their destiny (other than the Reds). Beat the teams in our division more than they beat us and we should make the playoffs.

Bobster21

Streak

Post by Bobster21 »

606771797760272B52757F737B7E3C717D7F120 wrote: I don’t know if they are capable of playing ten games over .500 the rest of this season. Just too much inconsistency across the board with this team for me especially with the starting pitching. The schedule in August is brutal too. They have two 9 game road trips one at the beginning of the month and the end of the month into September. So the Pirates better win these games this weekend st home against the Mets and take advantage of any kind of break in their schedule the next few weeks. The series with the Mets is one of those breaks where you better win at least 3 maybe 4 games if you wanna go 36-26 and win 87 games  and get in the playoffs.

Even more - I like their chances if they simply play well, consistent.  The lineup is proving what they’re capable of 1-8.  The pitching is showing they are capable of shutting things down.

They don’t have to play at the crazy level of the past two weeks; but they don’t have to win 90+ % of their remaining games.  They have to win about 60%.  And a big portion of those 10 games can come this week: I’m thinking if they can win 6 of the next 7 games they should be within a couple of the wildcard. 5-2 would be good. But 6-1 will go a long way to push into the playoffs.

August and September: every team in the division will have the opportunity to control their destiny (other than the Reds).  Beat the teams in our division more than they beat us and we should make the playoffs.

I think the fly in the ointment could be that TBMTIB may very well be looking for any excuse to justify shedding payroll at the TDL and there are only 8 games until 7/31. And half of those are against 1st place teams (Cleve-3, Cubs-1) and half against the last place Mets. As fans we like to say it's possible that they can continue to play well enough to make the next 2 months exciting in a WC chase. But I suspect team mgt looks at it as possible but not probable and that "possible" is not a good enough reason to not sell at the TDL and save money. That would be bad PR but bad PR never seems to dissuade them. If they go 5-3 in those pre-TDL games they would be 56-42 with at least 4 teams ahead of them in the WC hunt and possibly more if any of Wash, SF or St.L get red hot during that stretch. I'm not even sure 5-3 would be good enough to keep TBMTIB from pulling the plug. But anything less than that would be the excuse they need to sell on 7/31.
UtahPirate

Streak

Post by UtahPirate »

One of the interesting things about this team is they have played so well against their division. I recent years they have just dominated the East and West and then been mediocre in the Central:

10-2  AL

8-18 West

7-13 East

26-16 Central

We have keep beating the AL with games left against Clev, Twins and Royals.

We have a Rockies/Giants trip coming up and with both teams ahead of us in the WC so we have to stay hot (Rockies are as hot as we are right now). That finishes our West schedule.

We have 4 Mets, 6 Braves and 3 Marlins left. We must play better against the East to finish. I'll be at two of the Mets games and I'm bringing all the mojo I can muster.

And then 25 division games left. We have to keep beating our division rivals like we have so far -- but to make a run at the WC we need to really improve against the West and especially the East.
SteadyFreddy

Streak

Post by SteadyFreddy »

65445158605942514455300 wrote: One of the interesting things about this team is they have played so well against their division. I recent years they have just dominated the East and West and then been mediocre in the Central:

10-2  AL

8-18 West

7-13 East

26-16 Central

We have keep beating the AL with games left against Clev, Twins and Royals.

We have a Rockies/Giants trip coming up and with both teams ahead of us in the WC so we have to stay hot (Rockies are as hot as we are right now). That finishes our West schedule.

We have 4 Mets, 6 Braves and 3 Marlins left. We must play better against the East to finish. I'll be at two of the Mets games and I'm bringing all the mojo I can muster.

And then 25 division games left. We have to keep beating our division rivals like we have so far -- but to make a run at the WC we need to really improve against the West and especially the East.

Looking at the 62 games left 18 of them are against the Mets,Marlins,Royals,Reds and Twins and 13 of these 18 games are at home at PNC Park. The Pirates need to go something like 12-6 or maybe even 13-5 in those 18 games. As I mentioned earlier the Pirates aren’t going to get many breaks on the schedule the rest of the season these 18 games I just mentioned are about as close as it will get to getting a break. They have to go 12-6 or 13-5 in those games. Playing around or just above .500 in those 18 games against bad teams won’t get them anywhere near 87 wins and that 2nd wildcard spot.
rucker59@gmail.com

Streak

705D50414657400003320 wrote: I don’t know if they are capable of playing ten games over .500 the rest of this season. Just too much inconsistency across the board with this team for me especially with the starting pitching. The schedule in August is brutal too. They have two 9 game road trips one at the beginning of the month and the end of the month into September. So the Pirates better win these games this weekend st home against the Mets and take advantage of any kind of break in their schedule the next few weeks. The series with the Mets is one of those breaks where you better win at least 3 maybe 4 games if you wanna go 36-26 and win 87 games  and get in the playoffs.

Even more - I like their chances if they simply play well, consistent.  The lineup is proving what they’re capable of 1-8.  The pitching is showing they are capable of shutting things down.

They don’t have to play at the crazy level of the past two weeks; but they don’t have to win 90+ % of their remaining games.  They have to win about 60%.  And a big portion of those 10 games can come this week: I’m thinking if they can win 6 of the next 7 games they should be within a couple of the wildcard. 5-2 would be good. But 6-1 will go a long way to push into the playoffs.

August and September: every team in the division will have the opportunity to control their destiny (other than the Reds).  Beat the teams in our division more than they beat us and we should make the playoffs.

I think the fly in the ointment could be that TBMTIB may very well be looking for any excuse to justify shedding payroll at the TDL and there are only 8 games until 7/31. And half of those are against 1st place teams (Cleve-3, Cubs-1) and half against the last place Mets. As fans we like to say it's possible that they can continue to play well enough to make the next 2 months exciting in a WC chase. But I suspect team mgt looks at it as possible but not probable and that "possible" is not a good enough reason to not sell at the TDL and save money. That would be bad PR but bad PR never seems to dissuade them. If they go 5-3 in those pre-TDL games they would be 56-42 with at least 4 teams ahead of them in the WC hunt and possibly more if any of Wash, SF or St.L get red hot during that stretch. I'm not even sure 5-3 would be good enough to keep TBMTIB from pulling the plug. But anything less than that would be the excuse they need to sell on 7/31.

I’m afraid you’re correct: 5-3 will not be good enough for this FO. They need to keep the hammer down: 7-1 or or 6-2 is probably necessary.
SammyKhalifa

Streak

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't think "For this FO" has much to do with it. It's just realism.
rucker59@gmail.com

Streak

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: I don't think "For this FO" has much to do with it.  It's just realism. 

You think 5-3 means they’re not in contention?