Bednar Can No Longer Close Out Games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bednar Can No Longer Close Out Games

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Towards the end of last season Bednar was a little shaky when he closed out games. This season has been really tough to watch even when he gets the save. I know he is the Pirates ambassador when it comes to visiting schools or new ball fields, but I wonder if the Pirates will retain him this offseason. No doubt he will request a raise in arbitration, but the Bucs may take him to a hearing, and remind him and the arbitrator of his failures this season. The Pirates bullpen really needs revamped this offseason. Possibly Bednar, Holderman and others are just having off-seasons , but at this time I don’t know one pitcher they have who they can build a bullpen around in 2025. Their starting pitchers look strong, but the bullpen is a mess.
PooperScooper !

Re: Bednar Can No Longer Close Out Games

Post by PooperScooper ! »

BC got some good years from Bednar but should of moved him.At least they don`t have him signed like Hayes. Pirates will find new suspects in BP . :(
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:20 pm BC got some good years from Bednar but should of moved him.At least they don`t have him signed like Hayes. Pirates will find new suspects in BP . :(
Good chance they move him this winter. I sure don’t think he needs a raise in salary, or a long term contract.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

I believe Shelton announced Bednar is not our closer anymore.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:05 pm
PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:20 pm BC got some good years from Bednar but should of moved him.At least they don`t have him signed like Hayes. Pirates will find new suspects in BP . :(
Good chance they move him this winter. I sure don’t think he needs a raise in salary, or a long term contract.
His trade value this winter will be at an all-time low. He's either hurt or simply no longer effective. Teams don't want to give something up to acquire such a pitcher.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I don't see them trading him this winter. His value will likely be down, plus relief pitchers go through cycles - good for a while, then flat for a while. I expect them to give him the winter, a normal spring training, and then decide if he's still got it.