Pirate Retired Numbers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Pirate Retired Numbers

Post by Possum »

What player(s) still living would you like to see their numbers retired?
I would go with Barry Bonds, John Candelaria, Manny Sanguillen, and Dave Parker.
Let's Go Bucs
bucs607179

Re: Pirate Retired Numbers

Post by bucs607179 »

Candy and Manny
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Parker and Elroy Face.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Is ElRoy still living? If he is I'd go for that too.
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Possum wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:26 pm What player(s) still living would you like to see their numbers retired?
I would go with Barry Bonds, John Candelaria, Manny Sanguillen, and Dave Parker.
IDK. When I think about retiring numbers, I'd want them to be HOF or near HOF, and spent vast majority of time with Pirates.

For the living, only Cutch fits that bill. When you're talking about retiring a number, people should automatically think of that player, especially across casual fans, but also with other fans.

Again, Cutch only one that fits that bill. Vast majority of Pirates fans wouldn't know Mannys, Candy's, but more would know Bonds and Parker.

At least most baseball fans associate Parker with the Bucs. Bonds is a Giant in most people's eyes.

But I wouldn't argue against them if they were selected.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:06 pm Is ElRoy still living? If he is I'd go for that too.
Yes he is. #26. I believe he and Parker are HOF worthy so they get my vote.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I will go with Parker and Roy Face
Javy

Post by Javy »

Definitely Elroy. Loved Parker, but I think a lot of fans turned on him over the end of his career in the 'Burgh. I remember going to a DH against the Astros where fans wear yelling Dave 'PORKER' and throwing batteries at him.

Wouldn't object to Manny getting his #35 retired either.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Possum wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:06 pm Is ElRoy still living? If he is I'd go for that too.
Turned 96 in February.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Interesting about Face and HOF voting. Never dropped off ballot until his eligibility was up. He was 5.9% his first year, and reached as high as 18.9%. I know a lot has to do with the class your in each year. He went down to as low as 5.3%. His final year he was 11.3%, and was 10.5% his second to last year.

What on earth could have caused such a change? One player that's interesting to look at during 13 of Face's 15 years on the ballot, Don Larsen was also on the ballot. Larsen finished ahead of Face every year...until Larsen's 10th year, and he received fewer votes than Face the rest of his eligibility.

There's no rhyme or reason with HOF voting.