Official Game Thread - 8/23 - Bucs vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/23 - Bucs vs Reds

Post by Bobster »

I watched some of the game on replay. Very impressed at how much Apple has improved their broadcast. They got rid of Melanie Newman who was awful at PBP and just made Joe Blockesque small talk all game. They also got rid of Katie Nolan. I found this comment in an article about her interesting:

Nolan, who is known for her comedic commentary, had previously expressed that her role alongside Hunter Pence and Stephen Nelson was an awkward fit from the start. Apple's idea was to add podcast-style entertainment in between the gaps of play, but the broadcast was met with criticism.

Apple TV was new to baseball broadcasting but made the decision from the start that they knew better. They knew that fans tuning in to watch the game actually wanted "podcast-style entertainment in between the gaps of play." It went over like a lead balloon, was highly criticized, the announcers were replaced and, lo and behold, the fans who tuned in to watch the game were actually tuning in to watch the game! Whodda thunk?

Maybe Sportsnet Pittsburgh should learn from that. Fans tuning in to watch the Pirates don't want to be entertained by Greg Brown or lectured to by Joe Block. At least they got rid of Robbie, which must have upset all the fans who tuned in to the game to see something other the game. If there were any. ;)
There's no basement in the Alamo.
3pirates3

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/23 - Bucs vs Reds

Post by 3pirates3 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:09 am I didn't see any comments about the strike zone, so I'm guessing it was solid.
https://x.com/UmpScorecards/status/1827353038488547437