Hey Bucs Make Some Roster Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Hey Bucs Make Some Roster Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Now that the season has imploded let’s dump Grandal, Bae and Joe and bring on board Davis, Yorke and Cook. It is time to find out what you have in these three players. Possibly the Pirates are waiting until they return home to make some moves, but if they don’t make any moves later this week it is a definite slap to the fan base. If the FO doesn’t care why should we have any interest in the team .
Bobster

Re: Hey Bucs Make Some Roster Moves

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:26 pm Now that the season has imploded let’s dump Grandal, Bae and Joe and bring on board Davis, Yorke and Cook. It is time to find out what you have in these three players. Possibly the Pirates are waiting until they return home to make some moves, but if they don’t make any moves later this week it is a definite slap to the fan base. If the FO doesn’t care why should we have any interest in the team.
I don't think they'll fly anyone out to SD for 2 games. Maybe when they get home. I'm also wondering if Shelton might be fired after the season. Not just because he's a bad manager. But Cherington is going to take a lot of heat for this failed year. His rebuilding plan is spinning its heels and the minor league system just received a low ranking. And I think much of what Shelton does is nothing more than following orders. But if Cherington begins to fear for his own job security, he might want to fire Shelton, as if this is all Shelton's fault. This could buy Cherington a couple more years as GM until it becomes obvious that no manager can succeed under him. If Nutting presided over an actual baseball organization (instead of whatever this is), both GM and mgr would be fired ASAP.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Has it ever been reported as to how long Shelton’s contract extension is? He signed that extension last year. If it’s for as much as three years or more, I can see Nutting not wanting to fire him because it would mean having to pay two managers. (It’s always about the money.) But I absolutely agree he has to go. He’s not cut out to be the guy in charge. The team needs a manager who’s a great, indefatigable master teacher, with coaches who are his equal. Too many players seem clueless as to the ways of the game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:32 pm Has it ever been reported as to how long Shelton’s contract extension is? He signed that extension last year. If it’s for as much as three years or more, I can see Nutting not wanting to fire him because it would mean having to pay two managers. (It’s always about the money.) But I absolutely agree he has to go. He’s not cut out to be the guy in charge. The team needs a manager who’s a great, indefatigable master teacher, with coaches who are his equal. Too many players seem clueless as to the ways of the game.

Lots of players seem to be clueless through the majors. However, that is not an excuse, for a bad team like the Pirates being better than the opponents at situational baseball and fundamentals can lead to more wins.

I also don't know if we have much of a strategy on how to win in extra innings. The current record is 7-8 and I guess for a less than 500 team that isn't bad. Still I think the team could do better.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I agree. I’ve been saying for years that it costs no more money to be better-versed in the fundamentals than one’s opponents, and can lead to more wins. Maybe it means winning just two more games each month. But that’s as much as a 12-game swing and can mean the difference between getting into the postseason or missing out yet again. It’s the kind of management strategy Bob Nutting should insist on implementing.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Bobster wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:44 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:26 pm Now that the season has imploded let’s dump Grandal, Bae and Joe and bring on board Davis, Yorke and Cook. It is time to find out what you have in these three players. Possibly the Pirates are waiting until they return home to make some moves, but if they don’t make any moves later this week it is a definite slap to the fan base. If the FO doesn’t care why should we have any interest in the team.
I don't think they'll fly anyone out to SD for 2 games. Maybe when they get home. I'm also wondering if Shelton might be fired after the season. Not just because he's a bad manager. But Cherington is going to take a lot of heat for this failed year. His rebuilding plan is spinning its heels and the minor league system just received a low ranking. And I think much of what Shelton does is nothing more than following orders. But if Cherington begins to fear for his own job security, he might want to fire Shelton, as if this is all Shelton's fault. This could buy Cherington a couple more years as GM until it becomes obvious that no manager can succeed under him. If Nutting presided over an actual baseball organization (instead of whatever this is), both GM and mgr would be fired ASAP.
Cherington is safe...he hasn't had his Chris Archer moment yet.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

This will be along post. I count 46 players currently on the 40-man, since we have 6 guys on the 60-Day IL. We need to add Yorke and Cook to the 40-man, and we have some other potential Rule 5 losses that should at least be considered.

We would have dumped some of our impending Free Agents but we were in contention at the deadline and I will not criticize the club for trying to win. To put it mildly, it hasn't worked out. After watched the Arizona series at PNC, I am no longer inclined to be charitable about Shelton's in-game management skills. He continues to make game-costing decisions, and he simply has to go, no matter how much the majority of players may like him.

Here are some easy subtractions:
1. Marco Gonzalez
2. Ben Heller
3. Rider Ryan
4. Daulton Jeffries
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Michael Taylor

7. After that, things become more difficult. Chapman, Beeks and Borucki will all be FA's at season's end. We should try to retain one of them, or we won't have a single lefty in the bullpen. In fact we'll need to keep at least two lefties there, so I can only account for one more 40-man opening here.

8. Rowdy Tellez and Andrew McCutchen will doth be FA's at season's end. Can the team cobble together something out of Conner Joe, Endy Rodriguez and some hidden talent already on the 40-man? If we do, we won't be competitive. I'd like to see Billy Cook get a chance here as soon as possible.
We have more middle infielders than we can use, and we desperately need an upgrade at center field. The solution is almost too obvious. Oneil Cruz , despite his cannon arm, is a poor shortstop and might be better at CF. I would love to see this change made by the new manager. I don't think Shelton has the guts to make the move.
Even if these God-sent changes occur, we will need to trade or DFA some of our infield talent. We have a dearth of outfield prospect talent at High-A and AA, so Cherington needs to make a move during the off-season.

Can't blame me for looking ahead. It hurts too much to concentrate on the present!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Dutton wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:38 pm This will be along post. I count 46 players currently on the 40-man, since we have 6 guys on the 60-Day IL. We need to add Yorke and Cook to the 40-man, and we have some other potential Rule 5 losses that should at least be considered.

We would have dumped some of our impending Free Agents but we were in contention at the deadline and I will not criticize the club for trying to win. To put it mildly, it hasn't worked out. After watched the Arizona series at PNC, I am no longer inclined to be charitable about Shelton's in-game management skills. He continues to make game-costing decisions, and he simply has to go, no matter how much the majority of players may like him.

1. Marco Gonzalez
2. Ben Heller
3. Rider Ryan
4. Daulton Jeffries
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Michael Taylor

7. After that, things become more difficult. Chapman, Beeks and Borucki will all be FA's at season's end. We should try to retain one of them, or we won't have a single lefty in the bullpen. In fact we'll need to keep at least two lefties there, so I can only account for one more 40-man opening here.

8. Rowdy Tellez and Andrew McCutchen will doth be FA's at season's end. Can the team cobble together something out of Conner Joe, Endy Rodriguez and some hidden talent already on the 40-man? If we do, we won't be competitive. I'd like to see Billy Cook get a chance here as soon as possible.
We have more middle infielders than we can use, and we desperately need an upgrade at center field. The solution is almost too obvious. Oneil Cruz , despite his cannon arm, is a poor shortstop and might be better at CF. I would love to see this change made by the new manager. I don't think Shelton has the guts to make the move.
Even if these God-sent changes occur, we will need to trade or DFA some of our infield talent. We have a dearth of outfield prospect talent at High-A and AA, so Cherington needs to make a move during the off-season.

Can't blame me for looking ahead. It hurts too much to concentrate on the present!
Right now it would not hurt too badly to dfa both Grandal and Taylor, and purchase the contracts of Cook and Yorke. Finally send Bae to Indy and recall Henry Davis. Those are 3 moves I would make before they play another game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Dutton wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:38 pm This will be along post. I count 46 players currently on the 40-man, since we have 6 guys on the 60-Day IL. We need to add Yorke and Cook to the 40-man, and we have some other potential Rule 5 losses that should at least be considered.

1. Marco Gonzalez
2. Ben Heller
3. Rider Ryan
4. Daulton Jeffries
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Michael Taylor

good post, I don't think Shelton has the authority to move Cruz to the outfield. He might recommend it to front office but they will make the call (I just don't think managers have as much power as they did even a few years ago). Cook looks to me like he could be a September call up at least.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Ecbucs wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:57 pm

1. Marco Gonzalez
2. Ben Heller
3. Rider Ryan
4. Daulton Jeffries
5. Yasmani Grandal
6. Michael Taylor

good post, I don't think Shelton has the authority to move Cruz to the outfield. He might recommend it to front office but they will make the call (I just don't think managers have as much power as they did even a few years ago). Cook looks to me like he could be a September call up at least.
The only thing I can say about Cruz to the OF is whether he will have the concentration or maturity to take instruction about route running to make OF plays and not flub routine fly balls.
Let's Go Bucs