Article on Cruz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Article on Cruz

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:57 pm Fortunately I didn’t watch yesterday’s loss to the Padres. I just watched Joey Bart’s home run on the Pirates MLB Site, and I was surprised Cruz is just walking away from home plate rather than waiting for Bart to congratulate him. 99 times out of 100, players on base wait to greet their teammate at home plate after the player hits a homer. I hate to say it but I am beginning to sour somewhat on Cruz. I guess I should not be so critical towards Cruz, but that was a homer which gave the Pirates the lead, and a congratulatory handshake or slap on the back would have been appropriate.
I noticed that as well. It's as if he lacks all social norms, or is completely oblivious as to what's happening around him. He's a strange dude.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I also noticed that when someone else comes into the dugout
after a Home Run or some other accomplishment, unless it's Cutch
you seldom see him on the screen offering congratulations. When he
hits one out he expects everyone to be all over him. I remember when a few weeks ago he
probably cost the bucs the game when he ran interfered with Reynolds catching the ball. When the came back to the
dugout, Reynolds gave him a pat on his ass. I would have kicked him in the ass.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I think a lot of this goes back to team management. No one is accountable. Fundamental mistakes are repeatedly tolerated. The manager seems oblivious to it all. The GM wants a 6'-7" shortstop,,,well, just because it's kinda neat. Even though he's the worst SS in MLB and costs the team games because he's so bad. And as long as there are no changes in team management, none of this will change for Cruz. He'll continue to be a lazy, bad fielding, bad fundamental player who elicits oohs and aahs for his long HRs while otherwise being a detriment.

But Cruz has a lot of value. Just not the way he's used on the Pirates. So I would trade him this offseason. The Pirates could get a lot for him. And the team acquiring him would certainly not miscast him as a SS and would not put up with his laziness and might even teach him the fundamentals. Any team that's run better than the Pirates would probably turn Cruz into a star player. Cruz doesn't have to be so problematic. But he will be as long as the Pirates are run in such an incompetent manner. I don't see the Cherington regime ever changing its ways. So if they aren't going to change how they handle him, they would be better served to trade him. For his good and their own good.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
icantwatch2

Post by icantwatch2 »

Can’t trade Cruz because he IS the Bucs. Mediocre as he currently stands but the lure of potential. Cruz: lackadaisical play but then hit a 200-mph homer in the river followed by 3 errors. Team: win 5 in row, tantalize with starting pitching potential, lose 6 in row. Cruz = Pirates
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

icantwatch2 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:19 pm Can’t trade Cruz because he IS the Bucs. Mediocre as he currently stands but the lure of potential. Cruz: lackadaisical play but then hit a 200-mph homer in the river followed by 3 errors. Team: win 5 in row, tantalize with starting pitching potential, lose 6 in row. Cruz = Pirates
Can't share you enthusiasm. He is responsible for losses than wins. I don't care about his exit velocity. Happens too infrequently.
Bobster was right on with his comments. Not necessary for me to repeat them
Skenes = Pirates
Reynolds = Pirates
Cruz = E6 = selfish = clubhouse cancer
icantwatch2

Post by icantwatch2 »

I think I’ve not stated my case well. I’m NOT impressed by Cruz. I’m thinking that Cruz is our poster child. Mediocre results- a mix of bad and good- but the potential is almost enchanting. Still we get the same old fundamentally-challenged, high upside potential with middling outcomes Buccos.
Trust me- I’m not enthusiastic about Cruz. I actually almost despise him cuz he represents all that wrong with the Pirates.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Your forgiven- :lol:
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

icantwatch2 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:51 pm I think I’ve not stated my case well. I’m NOT impressed by Cruz. I’m thinking that Cruz is our poster child. Mediocre results- a mix of bad and good- but the potential is almost enchanting. Still we get the same old fundamentally-challenged, high upside potential with middling outcomes Buccos.
Trust me- I’m not enthusiastic about Cruz. I actually almost despise him cuz he represents all that wrong with the Pirates.
I completely understood what you were saying. At the game, when Cruz comes up, and positively smashes one, we go nuts. But not because it's baseball, but because of the freakness of it all. We have no illusions of him being consistent enough to carry the team, which he easily could. He doesn't have it in him. To many of us, he's become a circus act. We don't expect much more out of him. He's not a baseball player. He's locked into a perpetual game of hit, run, and throw.