Being a Pirate Fan

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Being a Pirate Fan

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think being a Bucs fan is like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber when he says “ you are telling me there is a chance”. Each year we hope or dream the Bucs can reach the postseason, but they are just dreams. 2013 to 2015 were exciting, but 2014 and 2015 the Bucs ran into a couple very hot pitchers in the Wild Card Game. In 1991 and 1992 they came very close to going to the World Series, but it wasn’t in the cards. 1992 was a real heartbreaker when they lost in the ninth inning. With our big 3 starting pitchers this season I had hoped they could get into the Wild Card Series, and even if the games were played away I felt the Pirates could advance. These past several games has dashed a lot of hopes for a post season appearance for the Bucs. Hopefully the Pirates can turn it around and have a respectable finish for this season. Possibly the FO will bring in some players this offseason that can complement the group they have in place. I know come mid February when they head to Bradenton, I will be thinking they have a chance.
Doc

Re: Being a Pirate Fan

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:51 pm I think being a Bucs fan is like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber when he says “ you are telling me there is a chance”. Each year we hope or dream the Bucs can reach the postseason, but they are just dreams. 2013 to 2015 were exciting, but 2014 and 2015 the Bucs ran into a couple very hot pitchers in the Wild Card Game. In 1991 and 1992 they came very close to going to the World Series, but it wasn’t in the cards. 1992 was a real heartbreaker when they lost in the ninth inning. With our big 3 starting pitchers this season I had hoped they could get into the Wild Card Series, and even if the games were played away I felt the Pirates could advance. These past several games has dashed a lot of hopes for a post season appearance for the Bucs. Hopefully the Pirates can turn it around and have a respectable finish for this season. Possibly the FO will bring in some players this offseason that can complement the group they have in place. I know come mid February when they head to Bradenton, I will be thinking they have a chance.
You had me all the way until you mentioned bringing in players. Reynolds, Gonzales, IKF, De La Cruz, and Bart are the only position players who I would rely on to contribute going forward. They need to acquire two legit power bats. But they're expensive, so it's not likely to happen. What you see now is about what you'll see going forward.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:51 pm I think being a Bucs fan is like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber when he says “ you are telling me there is a chance”. Each year we hope or dream the Bucs can reach the postseason, but they are just dreams. 2013 to 2015 were exciting, but 2014 and 2015 the Bucs ran into a couple very hot pitchers in the Wild Card Game. In 1991 and 1992 they came very close to going to the World Series, but it wasn’t in the cards. 1992 was a real heartbreaker when they lost in the ninth inning. With our big 3 starting pitchers this season I had hoped they could get into the Wild Card Series, and even if the games were played away I felt the Pirates could advance. These past several games has dashed a lot of hopes for a post season appearance for the Bucs. Hopefully the Pirates can turn it around and have a respectable finish for this season. Possibly the FO will bring in some players this offseason that can complement the group they have in place. I know come mid February when they head to Bradenton, I will be thinking they have a chance.
Feel pretty much the same way. I understand our leadership will never pay for the big talent but every frigging year I hope for a miracle. They had me pumped for awhile this season. I understand our talent level but I'm convinced if we had a better Coach we would still be in the hunt.

I too feel we could be interesting in 2025 if FO brings in a little talent but they don't think as a fan, they think as a business owner.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

The last 2 weeks has really killed my enthusiasm.
In fact after never missing a series in LA and SD, I gave away my tickets. I couldn’t stand to see another blown game. Instead of being 10 games over .500 we are now 3 under and could be 8 under by the time we leave the west coast I have not typically been a Shelton basher but his decisions during this losing streak make me realize that he should not be the Manager going forward. We have a tremendous amount of starting pitching talent on the big lead team and in the minors. Better days are ahead. Unfortunately not this year.
icantwatch2

Post by icantwatch2 »

The key, in my opinion, back in the Gerrit Cole era, was bringing in AJ Burnett. He had a winner’s edge and knew what was needed to win. These Bucs don’t have any of that. There’s no proven winner/leader/tone setter. The young guys like Cruz don’t have anyone to push them into doing the necessary things to turn the corner. The training. The small things within a game. So, we continue to watch bases loaded, no outs turn into zero runs. I haven’t watched or read about any games since that debacle with SD. Can’t do it anymore.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Trevor Bauer would be an awesome move as a solid vet to help anchor rotation.

Keller
Skenes
Bauer

Jones
Falter
Bubba
Harrington
Ortiz

lol....now thats solid !!!!!
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

icantwatch2 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:56 am The key, in my opinion, back in the Gerrit Cole era, was bringing in AJ Burnett. He had a winner’s edge and knew what was needed to win. These Bucs don’t have any of that. There’s no proven winner/leader/tone setter. The young guys like Cruz don’t have anyone to push them into doing the necessary things to turn the corner. The training. The small things within a game. So, we continue to watch bases loaded, no outs turn into zero runs. I haven’t watched or read about any games since that debacle with SD. Can’t do it anymore.
Since I have the MLB Package, I watch other games as well. To me, there are three levels:
The Elite
The average
The below average
I look at Pitching, Offense and Defense
Obviously, pitching has two components- Starting Pitching and late inning relief ( 7, 8, 9)
Bucs good Starting Pitching butg don't seem to have much else.
Offense- Poor
Defense- Poor
Therefore we are below average which I know is no surprise and to no one's surprise
this will continue under the present ownership as well as Shelton