Post by Wildwoodcoach »

After going 5-5 last night mostly against RHP my thought is;
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
Wildwoodcoach

Re: Article on Cruz

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:30 am After going 5-5 last night mostly against RHP my thought is;
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
IFK- to 2B
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:30 am After going 5-5 last night mostly against RHP my thought is;
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
As it stands now, Cruz DHing against righties probably makes sense. But I can't help thinking what a waste of potential it is to have him playing only in that circumstance. The guy's talent is off the charts. What's holding him back from becoming an outstanding player?
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:44 am
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
As it stands now, Cruz DHing against righties probably makes sense. But I can't help thinking what a waste of potential it is to have him playing only in that circumstance. The guy's talent is off the charts. What's holding him back from becoming an outstanding player?
Doc, trying to be politically correct, I just think he is not very smart. Thinking back to
your teaching days, what classes do you think he would be in?
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:27 pm
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
Doc, trying to be politically correct, I just think he is not very smart. Thinking back to
I think Doc was going for sarcastic. ;)
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I hope Cruz gets better. He does seem to hustle in the field and I think try to do too much. If he learns harness his talent he will be a very good player. For this season I think the team needs to make a decision on his position for next year and whatever it is he has to spend extra time in the off season getting ready for it.

From comments it seems like one of the biggest concerns is that he is more of a react player and needs to be more aware of different situations.

He is older than Clemente but from stories I have read I would not be surprised if the internet had been around when Clemente was first in the big leagues he would have been criticized a lot by fans as being a wild player on the field.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:51 pm I hope Cruz gets better. He does seem to hustle in the field and I think try to do too much. If he learns harness his talent he will be a very good player. For this season I think the team needs to make a decision on his position for next year and whatever it is he has to spend extra time in the off season getting ready for it.

From comments it seems like one of the biggest concerns is that he is more of a react player and needs to be more aware of different situations.

He is older than Clemente but from stories I have read I would not be surprised if the internet had been around when Clemente was first in the big leagues he would have been criticized a lot by fans as being a wild player on the field.
In 1956 Clemente played a few innings at 2B and 3B. I'm glad the Pirates realized he was not an infielder. Now they need to figure out what Cruz's position should be. I think we can rule out SS.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:27 pm
Put Triolo at short
Cutch DH against LHP
Cruz DH against RHP
Obviously, I've never interacted with him but, just by the way he carries himself, he looks like he's easily distracted and not focused on the task at hand (this from observing him at the ballpark). That's a general example of a kid with ADHD. Those kids were in remedial classes where their issues could be better addressed in a smaller setting, where they could get the attention they needed. Unfortunately, there's no remedial baseball.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Fortunately I didn’t watch yesterday’s loss to the Padres. I just watched Joey Bart’s home run on the Pirates MLB Site, and I was surprised Cruz is just walking away from home plate rather than waiting for Bart to congratulate him. 99 times out of 100, players on base wait to greet their teammate at home plate after the player hits a homer. I hate to say it but I am beginning to sour somewhat on Cruz. I guess I should not be so critical towards Cruz, but that was a homer which gave the Pirates the lead, and a congratulatory handshake or slap on the back would have been appropriate.