Official Game Thread - 6/26 - Bucs @ Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/26 - Bucs @ Reds

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:23 pm What a great read! 5 pages of complaining while they're winning!

Raise the Whining Roger!!!
We’re Americans. It’s our birthright.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The freakin’ Brewers won again today. I don’t know what I’m missing with that team. I guess they’re better than I want to believe. They do have a losing record (by one game) against teams with an above .500 record, so maybe they’re not as good as their overall record shows.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:55 pm The freakin’ Brewers won again today. I don’t know what I’m missing with that team. I guess they’re better than I want to believe. They do have a losing record (by one game) against teams with an above .500 record, so maybe they’re not as good as their overall record shows.
https://x.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1806100152090046677
Doc

Post by Doc »

3pirates3 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:06 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:55 pm The freakin’ Brewers won again today. I don’t know what I’m missing with that team. I guess they’re better than I want to believe. They do have a losing record (by one game) against teams with an above .500 record, so maybe they’re not as good as their overall record shows.
https://x.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1806100152090046677
Whoa, 14 pitchers and we’re just creeping up on the midpoint of the season this week! I don’t wish an injury on anyone but I wouldn’t mind if they had to start some Low A pitchers about 20 times just to get through to the end.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Brewers lead owes mostly in part to their 6-1 record against St. Louis, and their 18-9 record against the division as a whole. They're 4-2 against the Reds, and 4-3 against the Pirates and Cubs. . They were fortunate to catch The Loo so many game before they got their act together.

In the 4 games they beat the Bucs, they won 3-2 against a bullpen game of 4 guys going 2 plus, fleming taking the loss giving up all three runs in the same inning as the starter. They won 7-5 when Keller handed the bullpen a lead into the 8th inning, and Chapman and Contreras combined to blow it. They won 4-3 against Priester, who gave up all 4 runs in the second inning. They bombed Perez 10-2 in his second to last start before hitting the IL.

So at least against 2 NL Central foes, the timing of the meetings worked in the Brewers favor. Seven games against the Pirates, and haven't had to face Skenes. Their 18-19 record against teams with a winning record is skewed simply because The Loo has rebounded to above .500, and I think that particular stat is fluid with where the teams record is in the current standings, not where they were when they played them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:41 am
The Brewers lead owes mostly in part to their 6-1 record against St. Louis, and their 18-9 record against the division as a whole. They're 4-2 against the Reds, and 4-3 against the Pirates and Cubs. . They were fortunate to catch The Loo so many game before they got their act together.

In the 4 games they beat the Bucs, they won 3-2 against a bullpen game of 4 guys going 2 plus, fleming taking the loss giving up all three runs in the same inning as the starter. They won 7-5 when Keller handed the bullpen a lead into the 8th inning, and Chapman and Contreras combined to blow it. They won 4-3 against Priester, who gave up all 4 runs in the second inning. They bombed Perez 10-2 in his second to last start before hitting the IL.

So at least against 2 NL Central foes, the timing of the meetings worked in the Brewers favor. Seven games against the Pirates, and haven't had to face Skenes. Their 18-19 record against teams with a winning record is skewed simply because The Loo has rebounded to above .500, and I think that particular stat is fluid with where the teams record is in the current standings, not where they were when they played them.
I’ve always been a big believer that a team’s successes, or failures, is due in some part to when they play other teams during the season and how that can skew a team’s record. For example, Team A’s key players may be out due to injury and Team B, a lesser team, wins a series against them and gives fans the impression Team B is better than it’s shown. The schedule plays a big role in how the season plays out, who ends up in the playoffs and who doesn’t.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:57 am I’ve always been a big believer that a team’s successes, or failures, is due in some part to when they play other teams during the season and how that can skew a team’s record. For example, Team A’s key players may be out due to injury and Team B, a lesser team, wins a series against them and gives fans the impression Team B is better than it’s shown. The schedule plays a big role in how the season plays out, who ends up in the playoffs and who doesn’t.
Very true. A team that plays a 3-game series against the Pirates and gets Falter and a bullpen game in 2 of them is going to do better than a team that faces Keller, Skenes and Jones. If you play a team on a Sunday, their best players might not be in the lineup. Or weather could be a factor depending on when you play a particular team. Or key players could be out with injuries.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

I'm a Brewer fan I'd be keeping a close eye on the Cardinals. They would makes moves to better their team.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Won't be posting until next week- Heading to Western Pa.for a reunion at
Penn Hills Park. Going to stop and say hello to Possum on the way in. Supposedly
there is a sign which reads 'Slow down, you are in Possum country."