I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by Possum »

I know, I know, Nutting will never sell. He wants to leave the team to his daughters even if they do not know about running an MLB Franchise.
Then there is Cherrington, he needs to change his idea of where and what he gets the team in the way of hitters for now and for the future. The team has a ton of young starting pitchers and a few more in the system.
Cherrington would do well to trade some of the upcoming starters with a young hitter or two or a guy like Bailey Falter for a hitter. The player they get does not need to be a high-priced guy but Nutting should be happy to spend 15 or 18 million on a contract.
The Bucs are never going to be like the Dodgers or Yankees or the Red Sox unless MLB goes along with a salary cap. Dumb ass players and their union can't see that a cap would really level the playing field among teams. Let the team manage the salary cap like the NFL & NHL.
Let's Go Bucs
PooperScooper !

Re: I'm sick of Ownership and Management of this team

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Starkey reads this forum they are talking about Andujar ! Like we do.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Taylor Ward OF for LAA . Thats the type of player the Pirates can afford and use. Do it BC, now ! Cant wait until July thats too late.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

I'm guessing this board has older Buc fans. We have hero's to look up to from the 70's teams. What will a young Buc fan reminisce about when he hits Medicare??
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Possum wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:48 pm I know, I know, Nutting will never sell. He wants to leave the team to his daughters even if they do not know about running an MLB Franchise.
Then there is Cherrington, he needs to change his idea of where and what he gets the team in the way of hitters for now and for the future. The team has a ton of young starting pitchers and a few more in the system.
Cherrington would do well to trade some of the upcoming starters with a young hitter or two or a guy like Bailey Falter for a hitter. The player they get does not need to be a high-priced guy but Nutting should be happy to spend 15 or 18 million on a contract.
The Bucs are never going to be like the Dodgers or Yankees or the Red Sox unless MLB goes along with a salary cap. Dumb ass players and their union can't see that a cap would really level the playing field among teams. Let the team manage the salary cap like the NFL & NHL.
Sounds so right but doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

There’s no way this team can overcome the disadvantages of both its ownership and its management. Nutting will not spend. Period. Their payroll will always be one of the lowest. I believe Cherington got the job by persuading Nutting that he could use analytics and Moneyball and his “superior intellect” to build a winner within Nutting’s financial constraints. That would be the perfect sales pitch to get hired by Nutting.

But Cherington‘s plan is flawed. His minor-league system fails to properly develop prospects. He dumpster dives for relief pitchers who continue to demonstrate why no one else wanted them. He thought his analytics could get more production from Tellez, Taylor, Oliveras and Grandal than anyone had a right to expect when he took them off the free agent scrap heap. And even the best minor-league system cannot produce a standout player at every position at the same time. And Cherington cannot acquire productive players externally because the salaries of such players are prohibitive.

Nutting seems fine with never being a serious contender but had nothing to lose by letting Cherington try. Eventually, he’ll have to fire Cherington to score some PR points with the fan base just as he did with Huntington. And Shelton is nothing more than Cherington’s lackey. But Cherington’s eventual replacement will just be another young executive with big ideas about how to build a winner without spending money. Rinse and repeat.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Hopefully, the next GM's last name won't end in 'ington'. Seems to be a true indicator of failure.

Then again, I hope it doesn't end in 'ing' either!