Fake News

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Fake News

Post by INbuc »

One thing our President has proven over the past 18 months is that "Fake News" is a real thing. At worst these hacks are fabricating the news. At best, they are throwing darts at the board-- blindfolded.

While we may question what we read about our own team, following the progress (or lack there of) of a Cole trade through the lens of some of the New York-based papers or sites really nauseating. Unsurprisingly, everything is slanted in favor of the Yankers.

Their opinionism, favoritism, and pompousness makes me want to hurl. By reading their various accounts, it is almost impossible to get a feel for where this potential deal actually stands...other than the Yanks will decidedly win any trade. I hope a resolution to the deal comes soon, just because I am frustrated trying to keep up with it.

Maybe I will try to frustrate them back by releasing this story--

“Deal close: “Yanks to send Torres, Judge and cash (for Cole's salary) to Bucs for two years of Cole.

Of course the NYers would spin it: Yanks to hold firm, retain Frazier in blockbuster haul.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Fake News

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It's like they all want to break the story first or so they can say "I told you so" as they keep throwing every name possible out there.

I will believe it when I see it. I lost a lot of respect for some big time tweeters who I trusted before. Oh well...
Docjon49

Fake News

Post by Docjon49 »

181F332432510 wrote: One thing our President has proven over the past 18 months is that "Fake News" is a real thing. At worst these hacks are fabricating the news. At best, they are throwing darts at the board-- blindfolded.

While we may question what we read about our own team, following the progress (or lack there of) of a Cole trade through the lens of some of the New York-based papers or sites really nauseating. Unsurprisingly, everything is slanted in favor of the Yankers.

Their opinionism, favoritism, and pompousness makes me want to hurl. By reading their various accounts, it is almost impossible to get a feel for where this potential deal actually stands...other than the Yanks will decidedly win any trade. I hope a resolution to the deal comes soon, just because I am frustrated trying to keep up with it.

Maybe I will try to frustrate them back by releasing this story--

“Deal close: “Yanks to send Torres, Judge and cash (for Cole's salary) to Bucs for two years of Cole.

Of course the NYers would spin it: Yanks to hold firm, retain Frazier in blockbuster haul.

It's entertaining to read the rumors and speculate, but if anyone starts getting angry over unsubstantiated claims that this or that deal fell through because reasons, they're putting too much faith in it. We should remember that this sort of "reporting" is really on par with a Hollywood gossip column. Nothing can be supported and proven, and it fails to meet any sort of journalistic test. I think the best of them have some good sources that occasionally come through for them, and they attempt to do their best, but it's still not real journalism.

As for "fake news":

Making ppl question legitimate news organizations, and having your own state-approved news organization, is a fantastic first step towards tyranny. That 27-year-old internet law has forever poisoned the well for discussions like this, but a certain political power in the past really pioneered the use of these tactics, and "the Big Lie". Reading about it is quite enlightening.

"Fake News" is something they say to dismiss uncomfortable facts, and it only works on ppl who aren't getting their news from multiple unbiased sources, or aren't thinking very much about a subject. Having a sitting president repeatedly and continually declare the majority of new outlets, "fake news", is a bridge too far. When your government starts calling the news fake, that's a REALLY bad sign, particularly when much of what they are calling 'fake' can be readily shown to be true with a minimum of effort. Every government that oppresses the people begins with oppressing the free press.

I get my fill of politics everywhere else, I come here for an entirely DIFFERENT kind of frustration and aggravation. [smiley=wink.gif] Even so, I can't let something like this lie here unquestioned. If this gets deleted, I expect, in the interest of fairness, that the OP's declaration will also be deleted. Things allowed to be posted here should be allowed to be debated here.
SCBucco

Fake News

Post by SCBucco »

Fake News is how the Pirates roll from the owner to the GM.
Docjon49

Fake News

Post by Docjon49 »

44545562747478170 wrote: Fake News is how the Pirates roll from the owner to the GM.
I prefer to call it, "Bullshit", because that's what we've always called it, and because it's not news, fake or otherwise. It's how every major organization rolls, how every major corporation I've ever worked for rolls.  They tell us what we want to hear, and what they think will give them an advantage.  They tell us stuff that they think will give them leverage in some trade situation or other matter (when they've got their head on straight, at least.  It's far worse when they screw that up and tell the truth.)

Bullshit is traditional.  Some of it is useful, like the too-true-to-life interview coaching Crash gives Nuke in, "Bull Durham."  Other BS is covering for deficiencies, hoping they can sell more tickets before the jig is up.  I'm not a fan of the latter, but a savvy fan can usually get a whiff of it.

Every sports organization engages in bullshit.  It's just worse for the Bucs, because they have very little but stat analysis that sometimes give them a narrow advantage over the course of a season, and a whole lot of smoke and mirrors.

I wish they'd stop bluffing once in awhile and lay a big hand down.  I've been patient.  I think most of us have.  I hope TBMTIB can pull off some great trades and give us some hope for the 2019+ seasons, because there isn't a chance in hell they're going to be able to fix 2018.

I'm getting older - none of us are getting younger - but I'd be up for another STRONG rebuild effort on a two-or-three-year timetable.  It would be fun watching the young guys develop, instead of watching the outfield boot the ball around and underperform at the plate.