Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PooperScooper !

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/19 - Reds @ Bucs

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Bae is terrible.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:24 am Bae is terrible.
I don’t think Bae is the answer for centerfield. I have seen enough of Taylor at the plate. He cannot hit. The Pirates could use a center fielder who can hit, and drive in runs.
Buccobill

Post by Buccobill »

I'm not saying Bae is Willie Mays. If your options are Bae,Taylor, Suwinski in a key situation, who gives you the best shot?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Buccobill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:51 am I'm not saying Bae is Willie Mays. If your options are Bae,Taylor, Suwinski in a key situation, who gives you the best shot?
That is a very tough question. Taylor and Suwinski both strikeout too often when they are in the lineup. I always thought Bae would be a catalyst with his speed, and possibly bunting the ball, but since being up with the Pirates he has shown very little of that. They need a coach like Harry Walker who made Marty Alou a hitter by using his speed.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Buccobill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:51 am I'm not saying Bae is Willie Mays. If your options are Bae,Taylor, Suwinski in a key situation, who gives you the best shot?
None of these guys is good enough to play for a competitive team, certainly one that can reach the World Series, which speaks to the bigger issue that there's no one in the entire system who can be, or even looks to be one day, someone who is good enough. It's a testament to the four starting pitchers and the back of the bullpen to have the mediocre record the team has because, without those guys, we'd look a lot like the Rockies, Marlins, and White Sox.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I keep going back to the Casey Stengel quote about the '62 Mets. "Does anybody here know how to play this game?"

It's always something with the Pirates. Stupid baserunning (even Cutch the other day), lack of hustle, bad decisions, eating sunflower seeds at 3B, losing your phone when you slide. :) They don't exactly operate like a well-oiled machine. And still just 2 games under .500 thanks to great starting pitching. Shelton needs to be fired and replaced by someone who doesn't tolerate all the unforced errors.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

Buccobill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:02 pm Is there anything more pathetic then the taylor/suwinski platoon. When bae comes back, suwinski down and bae is my leadoff/ centerfielder until he plays himself out of it. Taylor doesn't see the field until the 8th or 9th as a defensive replacement. I really believe if they give bae a legit shot he can be a real sparkplug.
I agree with you Bill. Bae needs a chance and we might see a Gonzalez-type breakout. Suwinski looks lost.