Official Game Thread - 6/18 - Bucs vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/18 - Bucs vs Reds

Post by Bobster »

For the umpteenth time Suwinski is overmatched by MLB pitching.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's time to pull the plug on Suwinski.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:51 am It's time to pull the plug on Suwinski.
agreed- he has had ample opportunity and fails to produce.
Damn shame about this one. Just one bad pitch by Falter
4 Pirate hits isn't going to get it done.
They talk about winning a series. Not good enough. They only
pick up one game in a three game series.
Doc

Post by Doc »

We've been frustrated as Pirates fans for most of the past 30-some years, but this year seems worse. Watching the fantastic starting pitching this season being hamstrung by an anemic offense, poor coaching, and an insufferable management, is really sad.

I keep wondering why we haven't traded away this amazing pitching talent we've stockpiled in the minor leagues for a couple of legit bats. It's finally dawned on me: there is no amazing pitching talent in the minor leagues. Just like they've done to us so often in the past, they're lying about the abilities of those players. How often have we been told about the help that's coming only to be disappointed time and again. Since 1993, how many guys have come through our system who've been good, reliable day-to-day major leaguers over a five to eight year stretch?

They're slowly taking the life out of me.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am We've been frustrated as Pirates fans for most of the past 30-some years, but this year seems worse. Watching the fantastic starting pitching this season being hamstrung by an anemic offense, poor coaching, and an insufferable management, is really sad.

I keep wondering why we haven't traded away this amazing pitching talent we've stockpiled in the minor leagues for a couple of legit bats. It's finally dawned on me: there is no amazing pitching talent in the minor leagues. Just like they've done to us so often in the past, they're lying about the abilities of those players. How often have we been told about the help that's coming only to be disappointed time and again. Since 1993, how many guys have come through our system who've been good, reliable day-to-day major leaguers over a five to eight year stretch?

Spot on! I was ready for yet another Piratey season of the usual but this one is bothering me. We have some ML starting pitching and it is getting wasted.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:23 am We've been frustrated as Pirates fans for most of the past 30-some years, but this year seems worse. Watching the fantastic starting pitching this season being hamstrung by an anemic offense, poor coaching, and an insufferable management, is really sad.

Players who have already established themselves as legit bats come with high salaries. Nutting won't pay them. Think about all the players the Pirates have traded in recent years and the return on them. It's always young prospects. It's hard to imagine they have never been offered a legit bat in any of those trades. I strongly suspect they have often settled for less in trades than they were offered because they won't pay the salaries of better players. So when we start thinking about who they could trade to acquire legit bats, the problem is very likely that they are not interested in acquiring those bats.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Bucs had 4 entire hits last night. 3 were from Cutch (1) and Reynolds (2). The 3 thru 9 spots in the order went 1 for 23.

Other than Hayes' HR in the 7th, the only Pirate to reach base in the 3 thru 9 spots of the order was Oliveras who was HBP in the same inning. The Pirates went 3 up/3 down in the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th. They also had only 3 batters in the 8th even though Cutch walked because he inexplicably took off on Reynolds fly out and was easily doubled off 1B. :x
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

In closing, they are really pissing us off.

Win this afternoon and I'll be right back on my get to .500 dream.
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

I'm guessing Gonzo will need a day off today ... because he only had last Monday off, then they gave him last Thurs. off in STL, and he gets tomorrow off too. So he's probably going to need some extra rest today so that he'll be ready to go for the playoff push in September.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Carolina Bucco wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:04 pm I'm guessing Gonzo will need a day off today ... because he only had last Monday off, then they gave him last Thurs. off in STL, and he gets tomorrow off too. So he's probably going to need some extra rest today so that he'll be ready to go for the playoff push in September.
And Reynolds had 2 hits and Hayes had a HR so they earned a day off.