Official Game Thread - 6/14 - Bucs @ Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/14 - Bucs @ Rockies

Post by Doc »

It’s Triolo’s turn to bounce into an inning ending double play to end he second. Still 1-0 Bucs after one and a half.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Greg Brown was giving us his theory as to why a late addition to the lineup might have a big game. He suggested it was because the player’s mind is clear. And then Triolo grounded into an inning ending double play. I guess his mind wasn’t clear.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:04 am Question? Wouldn't it be better if Gonzales would play SS where he has played
instead of Triolo where he hasn't played this year. However, who am I to question
the genius of Shelton?
I thought the same thing. It looks like management is still in tryout mode. It never ends with this organization.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:06 am Greg Brown was giving us his theory as to why a late addition to the lineup might have a big game. He suggested it was because the player’s mind is clear. And then Triolo grounded into an inning ending double play. I guess his mind wasn’t clear.
Yeah. The only thing that’s clear is the bases.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mlodzinski relieved after only 24 pitches. Is that all he’s capable of? Ortiz now in. Hope we get the strike-throwing Ortiz tonight not the Ortiz who’ll throw 45 pitches in an inning.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:06 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:04 am Question? Wouldn't it be better if Gonzales would play SS where he has played
instead of Triolo where he hasn't played this year. However, who am I to question
the genius of Shelton?
I thought the same thing. It looks like management is still in tryout mode. It never ends with this organization.
its in Ben's instructions to Shelton. Once the line up card is written it is only direct substitutions. No need to shift players around and mess up their positive thoughts about the game.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ortiz, with some good work in the second, retires three straight batters. Still 1-0 Bucs.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Mlodzinski didn’t look too pleased being pulled because he walked the first batter in the second inning. I suspect a lot of the players are as frustrated with Shelton as we are.

In 1983 Joe Altobelli took over the Orioles when Earl Weaver retired after missing the playoffs by 1 game. Altobelli spent the season making one irrational move after another but the team was loaded and won despite him, including the World Series. Despite winning that World Series, he was fired less than two years later. I mention this because I attended an Orioles fantasy camp that featured a reunion of that 1983 championship team. A common theme among those old Orioles was how bad a manager Altobelli was. Players know when their manager is bad. And I suspect the Pirates are well aware of what they’re dealing with in Shelton.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Great inning by the Bucs in the third as Davis, McCutchen and Reynolds all strike out. I heard someone say the other day that McCutchen’s doing a great job this year. He’s batting .232 with an OBP of .333 so far in the lead-off spot. Have we lowered our standards so much that those numbers are “great”?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Rockies put runners on the corners with one out but Ortiz serves up a double play ball. Still 1-0 Bucs after three.