Official Game Thread - 5/23 - Bucs vs Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/23 - Bucs vs Giants

Post by Bobster »

7-6 SF. Having these starters and this bullpen is like spending part of the game at Boardwalk and Park Place and the rest of the game at Baltic and Mediterranean.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Last edited by 3pirates3 on Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Grand slams the last 2 days. 5 and 4 run leads the last 2 days. 2 losses in the last 2 days.

But the good news is that Tellez played (because "everybody plays"). He was 0 for 4 and only struck out twice. And Bednar was well-rested after being unavailable yesterday (they were off on Monday and he threw 14 pitches on Tuesday, so protecting a lead on Wednesday was out of the question). So he got some work in today pitching an inning when they already trailed 7-6.

I don't know what room Cherington and Shelton are the smartest ones in, but I think it must be padded.
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

Jones with a quality start.

Skenes with an excellent start.

Grand slams in both games.

Leads of 5-1 in the 8th and 6-2 and in the 8th.

Record: 0-2

This team irritates me to no end.

Now we get 3 vs. the Braves with no Jones and no Skenes.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

That wasted leadoff triple came back to haunt them.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As we watch complete mismanagement of the bullpen by the GM and field manager, as we watch two games that should have been won lost, as we watch the uselessness of what is Rowdy Tellez, we now are also witnessing Connor Joe coming back to earth.

We have a centerfielder, Matt Gorski, and a first baseman, Jake Lamb, with OPS over .900 in AAA.

Are they the solution, the answer? I don't know, but I do know that when taking a test and you're unsure of the answer, you're almost always 100% on two of the answers NOT being the correct one. You may still get the problem wrong, but it won't be because you at least gave yourself a better chance by eliminating two obviously wrong solutions.

As the Bucs have to sort out a bad bullpen, it's imperative they field the best guys they have right now. I don't know who exactly IS the right answer, but I do know that Rowdy Tellez can be eliminated as one of the answers.

If he is still on the roster Friday, BC might be finding himself with a chant going.
steve 49

Post by steve 49 »

They pretty much have to jettison Tellez after this game. The man has either popped up or K'd in God knows how many ABs. They can't possibly keep running this out of shape out machine out there. I'll say it happens before Monday.
steve 49

Post by steve 49 »

Anyone know what Bart did to get tossed ?
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Tellez needs to go. But I’m not ready to give up on Joe. His last five games have been a struggle, but it’s hard to ignore what he did prior to that. Slumps are part of baseball. If that’s what it is. It’s worth keeping an eye on to see if the cold streak persists. I AM ready to give up on Michael A. Taylor. He’s not hitting because he never could. Adding him to a poor hitting team didn’t make sense. They don’t have the luxury of a good defensive outfielder who can’t hit. There are too many holes in the lineup as it is. And the team is so poor, the few catches he will make that no one else could make won’t make up for the desperately needed hitting that he can’t supply.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:53 pm Grand slams the last 2 days. 5 and 4 run leads the last 2 days. 2 losses in the last 2 days.

But the good news is that Tellez played (because "everybody plays"). He was 0 for 4 and only struck out twice. And Bednar was well-rested after being unavailable yesterday (they were off on Monday and he threw 14 pitches on Tuesday, so protecting a lead on Wednesday was out of the question). So he got some work in today pitching an inning when they already trailed 7-6.

I don't know what room Cherington and Shelton are the smartest ones in, but I think it must be padded.
Not using Bednar last night had to be the most ridiculous decision of the season, except for maybe not walking Morel in the 9th inning last Saturday. Shelton, like Tellez, needs to go.