Rowdy Tellez

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Rowdy Tellez

Post by Surgnbuck »

I can't wait for the day when the next mention of Rowdy Tellez will be his where abouts and doings in "The Departed" thread
Possum

Post by Possum »

Surgnbuck wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:35 pm I can't wait for the day when the next mention of Rowdy Tellez will be his where abouts and doings in "The Departed" thread
Beers to that! 🍻🍻🍻🍻
Let's Go Bucs
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Ben Cherington must've thought he could emulate Oscar Goldman. I can hear it now...

"Rowdy Tellez, first baseman. A career barely alive. Gentleman, we can rebuild him. We have the spare cash from Nutting. We have the capability of building the first bionic first baseman. Rowdy Tellez will be that man. Better than he was before. With new arms...new legs...new beard...new belly...bigger...fatter...stronger."

If he only came with the electronic sound effects...nah, he'd still be unwatchable.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:19 am Ben Cherington must've thought he could emulate Oscar Goldman. I can hear it now...

"Rowdy Tellez, first baseman. A career barely alive. Gentleman, we can rebuild him. We have the spare cash from Nutting. We have the capability of building the first bionic first baseman. Rowdy Tellez will be that man. Better than he was before. With new arms...new legs...new beard...new belly...bigger...fatter...stronger."

If he only came with the electronic sound effects...nah, he'd still be unwatchable.
Maybe Cherington was misled thinking Rowdy was running in slow motion.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I have good and bad news about Tellez
The good- He hasn't played in 5 games
The bad- He is still on the 26 man Roster
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 pm I have good and bad news about Tellez
That is what I don't understand. If the bucs are not going to pay him
and I certainly that is the case- CUT HIM LOOSE
He is taking up a roster spot- At this point,the guy selling peanuts at PNC is more
valuable to Organization
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:33 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:28 pm I have good and bad news about Tellez
That is what I don't understand. If the bucs are not going to pay him
and I certainly that is the case- CUT HIM LOOSE
He is taking up a roster spot- At this point, the guy selling peanuts at PNC is more
valuable to Organization
I believe he'll be released whenever Hayes is activated. In the meantime, Cherington is probably trying everything he can think of to find someone willing to trade a peanut vendor for him and take some of that salary off BC's hands. Good luck with that.

BC had a horrendous offseason, which might (hopefully) put his job in jeopardy. Tellez was given $3.2 million after being released by the Brewers following seasons batting .219 and .215. He hit 35 HRs 2 years ago (in the .219 season) but that has been a career outlier. He's had one other season above 13 HRs (when he hit 21 in 2019). Tellez, who's also slow and not especially good defensively, was a huge risk. A bad gamble with $3.2 million of BC's boss' money.

And if that weren't bad enough, BC spent another $10.5 million of his boss' money on Chapman, who's spent the last 3 years watching his ERA go up as his ability to throw strikes go down. BC spent another $4 million on Taylor, a notoriously poor hitting outfielder. Another $8 million was given to Perez, who was removed from the Rangers' rotation last year due to poor performance.

So BC signed a poor hitting 1Bman, a declining reliever with poor control, a poor hitting outfielder and struggling starting pitcher. It looks very bad for him to have to undo the damage he's caused the team with his ill-advised offseason moves. So while the obvious move is to simply release Tellez, it's an admission of the awful moves he made in the offseason and the squandering of millions of his penny-pinching boss' money. It will lessen the impact if BC can find someone to at least give up a failing prospect and agree to pay some of Tellez's remaining salary. And it may only be the first of several such moves. So BC isn't going to do any of that until he absolutely has no other choice.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
steve 49

Post by steve 49 »

How can the Pirates possibly justify not releasing him. 1 HR , 8 rbi with more than a 3rd of the season gone. Everything he hits is soft contact . He can't possibly make it another week . 130 ABs .177 BA 1 Hr and 8 RBI. Extend that to 520 abs and you have 4 Hr and 32 rbi . Warren Spahn hit .194 with 35 HR and 186 RBIs in 1816 Abs. Do the math ... Spahn was a better hitter than our 2024 1st baseman.