Hayes Having a Tough Season At Plate

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Hayes Having a Tough Season At Plate

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Hayes offense this season as been well below how he has performed in the past. Possibly his back is the problem as to why he has struggled this year. As soon as the Pirates acquired IKF last week I wondered if the Pirates are considering moving Hayes this offseason. Hayes has several more years under the contract he signed in 2022, but in baseball money the contract is team favorable for most teams. I am sure the Pirates would miss his excellent defense, but for 2025 IKF would make up for his loss. The Pirates would need to fill the third base hole beginning in 2026 and beyond, but that is something the Pirates can address at that time. Possibly his back is the major issue with his lack of offense this year, and possibly over the offseason that problem can be resolved, and the Pirates will again see his hitting ability. If it is not the back issue then it may be time to move on from Hayes.
Wildwoodcoach

Re: Hayes Having a Tough Season At Plate

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I certainly agree with what you said.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Only 12 extra base hits. OBP under .300. Doesn't run out most plays.

There's either nursing an injury, and his laid back manner doesn't allow him to use it as an excuse, and we should all be in his corner for gutting it out, like they did back in the day.

Or, there's a disconnect in motivation and focus. I sometimes feel he seems like he's on the periphery of being part of the team. I think other than the sunflower seed incident, the fans have been remarkably patient and supportive of him in ways they aren't with Rowdy, Holderman, Falter. No matter how much people ended up rallying behind those three, they're just one slump away from being booed as they enter and exit the field.

I have never heard anyone boo Hayes. He's never been booed in line up announcements. Fans are a fickle lot. I'm glad they don't boo Hayes, anyone that knows me will tell you what I think of so called "fans" that boo the players or coaches. Hayes is a very prominent jersey around the stadium.

So I really hope he's just toughing out a back injury, and toughing out the criticism. I hope he realizes the fan base really supports him in a unique way. Remember, he's the first guy to sign a contract extension. He won a gold glove. There's a commitment from the team and fan base towards him. I really hope he's just as committed. That's the part I'm not so sure about.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Of the 142 MLB plyers who have enough ABs to qualify, Hayes has the lowest OPS of all at .585. The next lowest is .615. Of course OPS is heavily weighted by SLG and Hayes has the worst SLG with a paltry .294. His OBP isn't much better. His OBP of .290 is 124th of 142.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:06 pm Only 12 extra base hits. OBP under .300. Doesn't run out most plays.

There's either nursing an injury, and his laid back manner doesn't allow him to use it as an excuse, and we should all be in his corner for gutting it out, like they did back in the day.

Or, there's a disconnect in motivation and focus. I sometimes feel he seems like he's on the periphery of being part of the team. I think other than the sunflower seed incident, the fans have been remarkably patient and supportive of him in ways they aren't with Rowdy, Holderman, Falter. No matter how much people ended up rallying behind those three, they're just one slump away from being booed as they enter and exit the field.

I have never heard anyone boo Hayes. He's never been booed in line up announcements. Fans are a fickle lot. I'm glad they don't boo Hayes, anyone that knows me will tell you what I think of so called "fans" that boo the players or coaches. Hayes is a very prominent jersey around the stadium.

So I really hope he's just toughing out a back injury, and toughing out the criticism. I hope he realizes the fan base really supports him in a unique way. Remember, he's the first guy to sign a contract extension. He won a gold glove. There's a commitment from the team and fan base towards him. I really hope he's just as committed. That's the part I'm not so sure about.
You mentioned Hayes 12 extra base hits. He hasn't one since June 29th.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I wish if it is Hayes back the Pirates would say something about it. If he can't hit because of it he shouldn't be playing as even a Brooks Robinson who can't hit doesn't help a team much. If it isn't his back then I am all for dealing him for anything.

The team missed on both Gonzo and Perez as additions to this year's rotation too. Ben and staff need to do better. Hoping the players acquired at deadline all have good seasons with the Bucs as they have no chance without them.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:41 am I wish if it is Hayes back the Pirates would say something about it. If he can't hit because of it he shouldn't be playing as even a Brooks Robinson who can't hit doesn't help a team much. If it isn't his back then I am all for dealing him for anything.

The team missed on both Gonzo and Perez as additions to this year's rotation too. Ben and staff need to do better. Hoping the players acquired at deadline all have good seasons with the Bucs as they have no chance without them.
When they acquired Gonzales and Perez they were just looking for warm bodies. It was looking like Keller was the only legit starter. They didn't expect Jones to come on so strong so fast and they didn't know how long Skenes would stay in AAA. Gonzales missed most of 2023 with arm problems and Perez pitched poorly enough in 2023 to lose his spot in the Rangers' rotation by midseason. Both were longshots to be effective. I doubt that Cherington has been surprised at their poor performance. He was dumpster diving.
There's no basement in the Alamo.