1B Matt Olson L
DH M. Ozuna R
LF E. Rosario L
C Travis 'dArnaud R
CF M. Harris L
SS O. Arcia R
3B Nicky Lopez L
SP Bryce Elder R

Here we go with Shelty's boys. Throwing some crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 9/8 - Bucs @ Braves

Post by Bobster »

I guess Rivas is getting an extended tryout. But he hasn't shown anything to make me think he'll be back next season.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I’ll never be able to understand why Williams continues to play at the expense of Nick Gonzales, who could be getting another month of major league experience.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:00 pm I’ll never be able to understand why Williams continues to play at the expense of Nick Gonzales, who could be getting another month of major league experience.
I don't get it either. Peguero is a SS. And even if he's not quite the fielder that Williams is, the combination of his hitting and fielding should outweigh that combination in Williams. And the bigger question is why Williams seems to be getting this tryout. Do they have concerns about Cruz's ability to play SS after his injury? Is Williams a candidate for SS in 2024? Even if they have such concerns (or just want to ready, just in case) why not put Peguero at SS every day and see if they'd be comfortable with him there next year in the event Cruz can't play SS?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:04 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:00 pm I’ll never be able to understand why Williams continues to play at the expense of Nick Gonzales, who could be getting another month of major league experience.
I don't get it either. Peguero is a SS. And even if he's not quite the fielder that Williams is, the combination of his hitting and fielding should outweigh that combination in Williams. And the bigger question is why Williams seems to be getting this tryout. Do they have concerns about Cruz's ability to play SS after his injury? Is Williams a candidate for SS in 2024? Even if they have such concerns (or just want to ready, just in case) why not put Peguero at SS every day and see if they'd be comfortable with him there next year in the event Cruz can't play SS?
Williams has 18 hits in 35 games (28 starts) 5 are doubles. That isn't good. It appeared that he had found power in Indianapolis but he didn't bring it to Pittsburgh. I don't really see the point in his continuing to start either. Let Peguero get more experience at short, have Williams be the utility infielder and either have Gonzo or Bae play at second. It just seems like a no brainer. I can imagine by early next year they will be trying Williams in center too (as that is the Pirate way).
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Let's Go Bucs!!!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Seems they are doing things backwards here. Triolo is no great guns at second, however he has shown the ability to move the ball with the bat. Why not Peguero at SS, Triolo at 2B, and if the Bucs have a late lead, bring in Williams as a defensive replacement, sliding Peguero back over to second?

I don't like them using Reynolds as the DH. Defensively, he's at the very least their third best outfielder, and he's obviously the most dangerous hitter. Seems like quite a drop off when he's off the field in favor of one of the group of Andujar, Joe, and Palacios.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bae lead off double. Reynolds flies out deep to left the the LF going back on the ball to make the catch. Shouldn't Bae be at third on this?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Hayes strikes out. So much for the good start. Come on, be the hot Jack
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Suwinski strikes out.