MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Quail »

The AP just released the official MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls for all teams in 2016: http://federalnewsradio.com/sports-news ... -payrolls/

Unlike some other payroll lists this one includes the 40 man roster, bonus money, deferred payments, etc. Most significantly it also includes a $12,953,201 charge that all teams must pay for team benefits.

The Pirates rank 24th out of 30 teams with a payroll of $109,671,516. Interestingly enough their 2015 payroll was ranked 22nd at $116,055,536.

Clearly the persistent suggestion by Pirates ownership/management that increased spending will happen when the time is right is dubious at best. After a 98 win season in 2015 their response with a reduction in payroll has a very "actions speak louder than words" message to anyone who is a fan.
Bobster21

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Bobster21 »

Agreed. It bothers me that the FO is quick to respond to questions by pointing out that the have increased payroll each year, as if this satisfies their promise to increase spending when the time is right. All they have done is maintain one of the 5 lowest payrolls in MLB while being effected by inflation like everyone else. Any potential significant pay increase is offset by dumping players such as Walker, Melancon and Liriano. There is no "spending when the time is right." There is only a policy of doing whatever it takes to remain one of MLB's least spending teams. That means shedding talent and/or refraining from adding talent in order to minimize spending instead of increasing spending to add talent "when the time is right", which it already has been for 4 years. It's great that their strong farm system has produced good players at minimum cost. Because of that they don't need too much more. But the little more they do need always seems beyond their willingness to pay for it.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Assuming AP has the info correct, this is news that pretty much destroys the any intregrety that existed within the FO, especially with Forbes reported profit of $35M as per Roberto in his thread.

This flies in the face of all the (now empty) talk of the FO. It's all BS.
Ecbucs

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Ecbucs »

3D3A2C242A3D7A760F28222E2623612C20224F0 wrote: Assuming AP has the info correct, this is news that pretty much destroys the any intregrety that existed within the FO, especially with Forbes reported profit of $35M as per Roberto in his thread. 

This flies in the face of all the (now empty) talk of the FO.  It's all BS. 

it does show payroll was as high as 22nd. Higher than I expected relative to other teams.

As best I can tell the Pirates are treading water and that doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. (that was Littlefield's approach - just try not to be terrible)
Aaron

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Aaron »

4344525A5443040871565C50585D1F525E5C310 wrote: Assuming AP has the info correct, this is news that pretty much destroys the any intregrety that existed within the FO, especially with Forbes reported profit of $35M as per Roberto in his thread. 

This flies in the face of all the (now empty) talk of the FO.  It's all BS. 

Yet there's a large chuck of the fan base who continue to believe everything the front office says and accepts the "have raised payroll every single year" as fact without looking deeper or for appropriate context. Not only is it a highly misleading statement....it's not even true. And where there's still time to add....payroll may go down for a second straight year.

But Frank, keep telling us how winning is the primary focus and how offended you are by the narrative that suggests otherwise
dogknot17@yahoo.co

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It is also misleading to think a high payroll is the only way to win. Smart spending and building from within is how teams win, not just by having a high payroll.
Bobster21

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Bobster21 »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: It is also misleading to think a high payroll is the only way to win. Smart spending and building from within is how teams win, not just by having a high payroll.

Dog, no one-NO ONE-is asking them to have a high payroll. All any fans want is that they show a willingness to move up from one of MLB's perennial lowest payrolls to make 1 or 2 moves to improve the team. Do you understand that or are simply defending everything they do no matter what?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: It is also misleading to think a high payroll is the only way to win. Smart spending and building from within is how teams win, not just by having a high payroll.

Dog, no one-NO ONE-is asking them to have a high payroll. All any fans want is that they show a willingness to move up from one of MLB's perennial lowest payrolls to make 1 or 2 moves to improve the team. Do you understand that or are simply defending everything they do no matter what?

I'm not defending it, I am pointing it out. Like people would be happy if Liriano was back and the Pirates were paying him $13 million so they would be higher on the payroll list. That wouldn't be a smart move.

Plus, they were right at the same payroll as the Indians last year and where the Royals were when they won the World Series. People are too caught up in the payroll yet so many teams have dead money. The Pirates made the playoffs three years in a row with no dead money.

Season didn't start yet. There is still time to add that starting pitcher that I feel is needed.
Aaron

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by Aaron »

The Pirates had a lower payroll than Cleveland this year and lower than KC last year.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Luxury Tax Payrolls

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I'm not caught up in spending more money. I'm caught up in honesty and intregrety.