Jung Ho Kang to enter treatment center

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I read that Kang has agreed to enter a treatment center for his three DUI. So far there has not been any comment from the Bucs about when he will enter and for how long. Maybe the Bucs should make a claim on Byung Ho Park who was recently DFA by the Twins. I know the Bucs have Josh Bell penciled in to play first base, but possibly having another Korean player on the roster would be beneficial for Kang.
BenM

Post by BenM »

According to the PG, there still might be issues with him getting a visa.

A State Department official told the Post-Gazette in December that the consular officer reviewing visa cases might require a medical examination to determine whether there is a visa ineligibility if someone has been charged with drunk driving. Kang received a work visa and played for the Pirates in 2015 and ’16 year after the two previous DUIs. The official said the State Department cannot discuss individual visa cases.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Park might be a good pickup. He was too good in Korea to stay that bad in MLB. He Ks a lot but his .230 babip looks like he hit into some bad luck. He's also inexpensive.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Wonder if Park could play some third base if Kang would have to play short stop?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates said inJanuary they expect Kang to be on time at Spring Training and they didn't hear of any possible punishment.

This is protocol. Players get in trouble and then agree to some treatment program.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Kang's trial is February 22 in Korea. The DUI occurred in December could they have not had the trial before the date of the beginning of spring training. Now he is going to miss a portion of spring training.
mouse

Post by mouse »

If a trial is scheduled, that cannot be a good sign. I have no idea how third offenses are treated there but if there were a deal of some sort, you would think whatever plea it called for would be entered. Talk of a trial makes it sound like their law enforcement people have thoughts Kang's people don't agree with. He might miss more than a portion of spring training.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

55574D4B5D380 wrote: If a trial is scheduled, that cannot be a good sign. I have no idea how third offenses are treated there but if there were a deal of some sort, you would think whatever plea it called for would be entered. Talk of a trial makes it sound like their law enforcement people have thoughts Kang's people don't agree with. He might miss more than a portion of spring training.

Yeah, this doesn't sound good. An MLB can still act as well I think. And then there's the Chicago police doing a bang up job of investigation, hanging over his head.

We might not see Kang at all. Not predicting. But this is clearly becoming complicated.

This would be a huge blow to this team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Maybe they are just called "trials" but are like what happens in the United States (PA)? Called a "trial" because you are in front of a judge.

I am really not worried about this and his time on the Pirates. I assume he will have to pay a hefty fine, lose his license, and be on probation. Isn't it up to the US to accept his working visa?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: Maybe they are just called "trials" but are like what happens in the United States (PA)?  Called a "trial" because you are in front of a judge. 

I am really not worried about this and his time on the Pirates.  I assume he will have to pay a hefty fine, lose his license, and be on probation.  Isn't it up to the US to accept his working visa? 

I was under the impression that South Korean gov has the option to revoke his passport/visa/whatever.