Is Marte underrated?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Is Marte underrated?

Post by UtahPirate »

Not sure what header to put on this. Lots of fan angst about Cutch going to RF and I think it's because most fans love Cutch (and for many good reasons), but just don't get how good Marte is, especially as a defender.

Anyway, fun ESPN article that puts Marte's talents front and center:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1868 ... est-player
iabucco

Is Marte underrated?

Post by iabucco »

I like Marte a lot. He is a dominant defender and will be a big improvement over Cutch in center. I think I underrate him as a hitter because he has a number of bad at bats and doesn't take walks as much as I would like. Also, it seems like he should hit more homers. That being said, he has had some very good at bats in clutch situations, fighting off tough pitches before delivering a hit.
Bobster21

Is Marte underrated?

Post by Bobster21 »

0D2C393008312A392C3D580 wrote: Not sure what header to put on this. Lots of fan angst about Cutch going to RF and I think it's because most fans love Cutch (and for many good reasons), but just don't get how good Marte is, especially as a defender.

I wasn't aware that there was fan angst over Cutch moving to RF. Seems like after last season, the fans wanted Marte in CF and Cutch in a corner spot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Is Marte underrated?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That article was a little too out there for me. I know Marte doesn't walk much, but I see him as the perfect ideal lead off hitter. He is a disruption on the base paths.

I think most of feel Marte should go to CF, but should McCutchen really go to RF? How do people feel about Polanco in LF and McCutchen RF?

Polanco has a much better arm, but I am not sure he gets to the ball better than McCutchen. With the dimensions of PNC Park, the worst outfielder should be in RF. Most teams put their worst outfielder in RF anyway, but PNC Park isn't very big in RF. I am more confident with McCutchen running down a fly ball than Polanco. I do not know the average of how many balls go to LF compared to RF. LF at PNC Park fit Marte because he cut down a lot of doubles. I am not sure if Polanco or McCutchen can do the same.
UtahPirate

Is Marte underrated?

Post by UtahPirate »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: Not sure what header to put on this. Lots of fan angst about Cutch going to RF and I think it's because most fans love Cutch (and for many good reasons), but just don't get how good Marte is, especially as a defender.

I wasn't aware that there was fan angst over Cutch moving to RF. Seems like after last season, the fans wanted Marte in CF and Cutch in a corner spot.

Comments elsewhere indicate some would like to see him move back a few steps like he was previous to last year figuring his defense would return with that adjustment.

Angst is probably a bit heavy. But many Pirate fans (and society in general) seem to be angst-ridden right now. So forgive the hyper-bole.
Bobster21

Is Marte underrated?

Post by Bobster21 »

0627323B033A21322736530 wrote: Not sure what header to put on this. Lots of fan angst about Cutch going to RF and I think it's because most fans love Cutch (and for many good reasons), but just don't get how good Marte is, especially as a defender.

Comments elsewhere indicate some would like to see him move back a few steps like he was previous to last year figuring his defense would return with that adjustment.

Angst is probably a bit heavy. But many Pirate fans (and society in general) seem to be angst-ridden right now. So forgive the hyper-bole.
:) :) :)
Bobster21

Is Marte underrated?

Post by Bobster21 »

646F676B6E6F743137407961686F6F2E636F000 wrote: That article was a little too out there for me.  I know Marte doesn't walk much, but I see him as the perfect ideal lead off hitter.  He is a disruption on the base paths.

I think most of feel Marte should go to CF, but should McCutchen really go to RF?  How do people feel about Polanco in LF and McCutchen RF?

Polanco has a much  better arm, but I am not sure he gets to the ball better than McCutchen.  With the dimensions of PNC Park, the worst outfielder should be in RF.  Most teams put their worst outfielder in RF anyway, but PNC Park isn't very big in RF.  I am more confident with McCutchen running down a fly ball than Polanco.  I do not know the average of how many balls go to LF compared to RF.  LF at PNC Park fit Marte because he cut down a lot of doubles.  I am not sure if Polanco or McCutchen can do the same. 
I could not agree more! I am afraid of Polanco roaming LF since he always looks uncoordinated (to me) going after the ball. And his arm plays perfectly for RF. More balls are hit to LF since most hitters are right handed. Cutch had a bad year in CF but should still be able to handle LF where his mediocre arm is not an issue.
Bobster21

Is Marte underrated?

Post by Bobster21 »

Odd stats for Marte. Last year he had a fine BA of .311. With RISP he batted an impressive .294. And 373 of his 489 ABs were when batting 4th or 5th. However, he drove in an anemic 46 runs. Even Harrison, Mercer and S-Rod had more RBIs. How can a guy hit that well, hit that well with RISP, bat 4th and 5th, and drive in just 46 runs?