Third base-David Freese

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Third base-David Freese

Post by IABucFan »

Wish he were a bench bat, rather than starter. Thanks Jung Ho. Anyway, he is adequate as a fill in. Still hoping we get JHK back sooner, rather than later or not at all.
Quail

Third base-David Freese

Post by Quail »

Although he's not a star player he's a good one and the Pirates are really fortunate to have him in the absence of Kang. The problem with Freese as I see it is that the Bucs might need him to play so much that his production suffers. I too think his best position is as a bench bat/occasional starter.
Bobster21

Third base-David Freese

Post by Bobster21 »

Freese had a good offensive season in 2016 when he started 105 games (71 at 3B and 34 at 1B) and had 492 plate appearances. So he started 65% of the games. Even if Kang isn't back, I doubt Freese will be asked to do more than that in 2017. He'll probably start more at 3B and less at 1B. Jaso has little to do except back up Bell at 1B. I expect Harrison to frequently spell Freese at 3B, which finds ABs for Frazier at 2B. I also expect Gosselin to get some starts at 3B. Maybe even Frazier. I think that combination of players at 3B could work out very well.
mouse

Third base-David Freese

Post by mouse »

What about Hanson? Do you see a role for him, or is he likely to be traded? From what little I've seen of him, he looks like he can play the field. His bat would be the question.
fjk090852-7

Third base-David Freese

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think Hanson will start the season with the Bucs, but if a veteran type player who plays multiple positions becomes available,I could see the Bucs signing him and releasing Hanson.
Bobster21

Third base-David Freese

Post by Bobster21 »

3E3233686168606D6A756F580 wrote: I think Hanson will start the season with the Bucs, but if a veteran type player who plays multiple positions becomes available,I could see the Bucs signing him and releasing Hanson.
I agree. Hanson's stock dropped to the point he appears to be nothing more than a utility infielder. Those guys are useful but also a dime a dozen and easily replaced. He probably has a role on the team as long as no one better comes along.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Third base-David Freese

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree with Bobster about Freese. I fear him playing more than that will expose him a little more. He is up there in age. He had a decent year, but I feel it was unexpected. Will it be different if he is expected to be a key player to the team? Freese is also the team leader, which I feel is needed.

I don't Hanson playing too much 3B. I could be wrong, but he was moved to 2B because of his arm. His glove doesn't hold him back, his arm does.

Gosselin will probably play the next most at 3B in my opinion. Gosselin has been at every infield position this spring.

I want Kang back more than anything for this team at this point. Losing him is a big blow.
iabucco

Third base-David Freese

Post by iabucco »

Based upon the current roster, I don't think it would be hard to limit Freese's playing time. You could sit him 2 to 3 times a week to get Frazier, Gosselin or Hanson time to play with Harrison shifting to 3rd or one of them playing 3rd. I think bench players play better when they get regular opportunities to bat. I would prefer Jung Ho in the mix but that will be awhile.
SammyKhalifa

Third base-David Freese

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3B33302731313D520 wrote: Based upon the current roster, I don't think it would be hard to limit Freese's playing time.  You could sit him 2 to 3 times a week to get Frazier, Gosselin or Hanson time to play with Harrison shifting to 3rd or one of them playing 3rd.  I think bench players play better when they get regular opportunities to bat.  I would prefer Jung Ho in the mix but that will be awhile. 

I think it's a big benefit to how the team has decided to roster-build the last few years, splitting say two different starting positions among three players and so on. Besides helping with that Player Rest metric or whatever it is they're working on, it probably also helps soften the blow from a loss from player injury (and suspension/whatver).

I do wonder if the team would have taken a "re-do" and re-signed Sean Rodriguez if they knew.
Bobster21

Third base-David Freese

Post by Bobster21 »

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: Based upon the current roster, I don't think it would be hard to limit Freese's playing time.  You could sit him 2 to 3 times a week to get Frazier, Gosselin or Hanson time to play with Harrison shifting to 3rd or one of them playing 3rd.  I think bench players play better when they get regular opportunities to bat.  I would prefer Jung Ho in the mix but that will be awhile. 

I think it's a big benefit to how the team has decided to roster-build the last few years, splitting say two different starting positions among three players and so on.  Besides helping with that Player Rest metric or whatever it is they're working on, it probably also helps soften the blow from a loss from player injury (and suspension/whatver). 

I do wonder if the team would have taken a "re-do" and re-signed Sean Rodriguez if they knew. 
Yeah but S-Rod may miss most of the season after shoulder surgery.