Prospect to watch -- Bligh Madris

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I know we don't talk prospects on here like we used to (that's left for PP now-a-days I guess). But I thought I'd throw out a name from the recent draft who has gotten off to a really nice start. We took Bligh Madris with our 9th round pick from a DII program -- Colorado Mesa. He went deep twice for Morgantown last night to raise his average to .325. I know it's a small sample size but he has 3 doubles, 3 triples and 3 HRs in his 22 hits. 12 RBI's in 20 games as well.

Here's a partial Tim write-up at draft time:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates have drafted Colorado Mesa University outfielder Bligh Madris in the ninth round of the 2017 MLB draft. Madris wasn't in the Baseball America top 500, and there wasn't a lot of information readily available on him, although Jonathan Mayo said that he heard Madris had a "good feel to hit."

Madris showed that this past year, hitting for a .422/.513/.757 line with 17 home runs in 218 at-bats. He also stole 14 bases in 18 attempts. That comes in a small division, so the stats should be taken with that disclaimer, but it's good to see when paired with the brief scouting report."

Bucsdugout provided this link from Lookout Landing (a Mariner site that was doing profiles prior to the draft) they called him their "DII Crush":

"Madris is a extreme super-utility player who can hit, play the outfield and infield, and even pitch in relief; in 8 IP this year he has a 2.16 ERA. But his real calling card is the bat. After a sparkling freshman season that saw him named RMAC Freshman of the Year, Madris suffered a hand injury that kept him out of 2016. He’s roared back in 2017, hitting .438 this year with 14 doubles and 16 home runs in about 200 ABs. He also walked 42 times while only striking out 13 times (6.5%!). He has a nice, easy swing and shows an ability to spray the ball around the field. The 6’2” Madris also has plus speed, which helps him in the outfield, where he makes fine running catches. He’s also on the all-region academics team. A speedy outfielder with excellent plate discipline and a high baseball IQ who coaches glow about? That’s some Jerry catnip right there."

Just a final note. Madris is from Las Vegas, which is one heck of a baseball community. Whatever they do, they sure know how to produce MLB ballplayers. I don't think there is a better baseball community in the country. Here's a list of MLB players from Vegas who played last year:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players ... ada&y=2016

Madris might be worth keeping on eye on!
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

4263767F477E65766372170 wrote: I know we don't talk prospects on here like we used to (that's left for PP now-a-days I guess). But I thought I'd throw out a name from the recent draft who has gotten off to a really nice start. We took Bligh Madris with our 9th round pick from a DII program -- Colorado Mesa. He went deep twice for Morgantown last night to raise his average to .325. I know it's a small sample size but he has 3 doubles, 3 triples and 3 HRs in his 22 hits. 12 RBI's in 20 games as well.

Here's a partial Tim write-up at draft time:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates have drafted Colorado Mesa University outfielder Bligh Madris in the ninth round of the 2017 MLB draft. Madris wasn't in the Baseball America top 500, and there wasn't a lot of information readily available on him, although Jonathan Mayo said that he heard Madris had a "good feel to hit."

Madris showed that this past year, hitting for a .422/.513/.757 line with 17 home runs in 218 at-bats. He also stole 14 bases in 18 attempts. That comes in a small division, so the stats should be taken with that disclaimer, but it's good to see when paired with the brief scouting report."

Bucsdugout provided this link from Lookout Landing (a Mariner site that was doing profiles prior to the draft) they called him their "DII Crush":

"Madris is a extreme super-utility player who can hit, play the outfield and infield, and even pitch in relief; in 8 IP this year he has a 2.16 ERA. But his real calling card is the bat. After a sparkling freshman season that saw him named RMAC Freshman of the Year, Madris suffered a hand injury that kept him out of 2016. He’s roared back in 2017, hitting .438 this year with 14 doubles and 16 home runs in about 200 ABs. He also walked 42 times while only striking out 13 times (6.5%!). He has a nice, easy swing and shows an ability to spray the ball around the field. The 6’2” Madris also has plus speed, which helps him in the outfield, where he makes fine running catches. He’s also on the all-region academics team. A speedy outfielder with excellent plate discipline and a high baseball IQ who coaches glow about? That’s some Jerry catnip right there."

Just a final note. Madris is from Las Vegas, which is one heck of a baseball community. Whatever they do, they sure know how to produce MLB ballplayers. I don't think there is a better baseball community in the country. Here's a list of MLB players from Vegas who played last year:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players ... ada&y=2016

Madris might be worth keeping on eye on!

Nice! Sure would be nice to draft someone in a lower round that comes up and is a solid contributor to the ML team, for a change. Maybe better than 'solid'. Crossing my fingers and awaitng further developments.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I keep saying I am going to run up to Morgantown and catch some games and I keep not doing it. It's only 20 minutes away, and that's if you drive the speed limit. I need to stop being so lazy/forgetful.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

0B0E090F070D140900131518610 wrote: I keep saying I am going to run up to Morgantown and catch some games and I keep not doing it.  It's only 20 minutes away, and that's if you drive the speed limit.  I need to stop being so lazy/forgetful.

Let us know what you see! Now at least you have background on one guy to watch.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Mason Martin is another late round draft pick creating a lot of buzz. A high school draft player from Washington state, I'm not sure if that's an area that's scouted much by MLB draft scouts. Seemed like a guy that was destined to honor his college commitment to Gonzaga, but I think he could be a diamond in the rough.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Captain Bligh..........I like it!!