A player the Bucs should attempt to sign

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that the Cards dfa'd Kevin Siegrist. He is a lefty who has struggled somewhat this year. He is also controllable through arbitration over the next two seasons. Possibly Rivero, Kontos and he would be building blocks for the bullpen in 2018.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Nicholas Castellanos (3B, Tigers) is still on waivers too. I would take a flyer on him. His average dipped this year and he makes a bunch of errors. Former first round pick and will be 26 years old next year. He might be worth a flyer as his arbitration is approaching.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: I think Nicholas Castellanos (3B, Tigers) is still on waivers too. I would take a flyer on him.  His average dipped this year and he makes a bunch of errors.  Former first round pick and will be 26 years old next year.  He might be worth a flyer as his arbitration is approaching.

Possibility. I'd definitely be turning over rocks to try to find a 3B
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5A6864647042616865606F68090 wrote: I think Nicholas Castellanos (3B, Tigers) is still on waivers too. I would take a flyer on him.  His average dipped this year and he makes a bunch of errors.  Former first round pick and will be 26 years old next year.  He might be worth a flyer as his arbitration is approaching.

Possibility.  I'd definitely be turning over rocks to try to find a 3B

I would go after him too if the Tigers don't want too much for him. 

Not Keller or Glasnow or Meadows  or Tucker but Hayes, Kingham, one of Newman or Kramer would be ok.  I don't think he is on same kind of waivers as Nicosia.

MLB trade rumors posted this yesterday:

The Tigers are “disappointed” in Nick Castellanos’ defense at third base once again, as he’s taken a step back in that regard after seemingly making improvements in 2016. Heyman suggests that Castellanos may be available in trades this winter, and since he’s already cleared waivers, he could technically be moved anytime moving forward. (He wouldn’t be eligible for a postseason roster if he’s traded after today.)
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani. If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher. He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan. Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs. I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing. A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market. Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers. That's three of the big spenders right off the bat. (Again, could be wrong on that.) There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that. I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base. Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded. Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first. IDK. All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year. At this stage, it's all hype. And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face. But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7D7576415772555A340 wrote: I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani.  If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher.  He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan.  Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs.  I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing.  A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market.  Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers.  That's three of the big spenders right off the bat.  (Again, could be wrong on that.)   There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that.  I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base.  Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded.  Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first.  IDK.  All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year.  At this stage, it's all hype.  And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face.  But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.

Does he pitch in relief or start?
notes34

Post by notes34 »

191112253316313E500 wrote: I did see John Heyman reported the Pirates had a scout in Japan to look at Shohei (spelling?) Otani.  If you haven't heard of this guy, he's a pitcher/DH/all around masher.  He's the best pitcher, and best hitter, in Japan.  Throws 100+, hits 450 foot bombs.  I think Heyman said there were at least 13 teams over scouting him.

Crazy...I know...but, here's the thing.  A few teams that would normally be in on him have a hard limit on how much they can spend in the international market.  Don't remember who, exactly, but I seem to recall it including the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Rangers.  That's three of the big spenders right off the bat.  (Again, could be wrong on that.)   There also is something governing international signings that a player under a certain age (26, maybe?) can only be offered a relatively small amount of money, an amount that would theoretically even be within the Pirates' pathetic budget.

His big thing though is that he wants to hit and pitch on a regular basis, and reportedly will only sign with a team that will allow him to do that.  I don't think he has a regular position defensively, aside from on the mound, so that certainly gives an AL team an inside track on getting him.

Still though, I've got to believe he could play first base.  Bell could move back to right, and Marte, Cutch, or Polonco could be traded.  Or, Otani could play right and leave Bell at first.  IDK.  All I know is this guy has the potential to be the most electric player in MLB as early as next year.  At this stage, it's all hype.  And, he theoretically could fall flat on his face.  But, if I'm Neal Huntington, I'm doing everything in my power to sign him.
Here is a recent article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.3457713
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

he's also only 23
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5E5253080108000D0A150F380 wrote: Just read that the Cards dfa'd Kevin Siegrist. He is a lefty who has struggled somewhat this year. He is also controllable through arbitration over the next two seasons. Possibly Rivero, Kontos and he would be building blocks for the bullpen in 2018.

He is certainly worth looking at. According to Fangraphs his fastball has dropped this year but it is still 92.5. Was 95 or over in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Whats our payroll cap next year?   That's the variable.   Who wants to set the payroll for the sake of this thread?