Not Enough Outfielders

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirates have often played this season with only 1 or 2 true outfielders on the roster.

I now see that the Pirates Official website has found an ingenious way to address this issue. How --- simply list nearly every player on the active roster as an outfielder.

The active roster on the Official site only lists 4 infielders: Bell, Freese, Moroff and Mercer.

But --- Jaso, Rodriguez, Osuna and Bostick are all listed as outfielders, along with Marte, Cutch and Luplow.

Never realized it was so easy to purport that the team is overstocked in the OF.
johnfluharty

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by johnfluharty »

Maybe it's simply based on the number of games or innings played in the OF vs IF this year? I didn't check, but that might be it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

You don't think it is based on how many games or innings they have played at each position and that is how it is determined?

Is Harrison listed as an infielder too?

All of those players you mentioned for the outfield have played the outfield more than the infield in 2017.
johnfluharty

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by johnfluharty »

Confirmed that each has played both more innings and more games in the OF vs IF this season.  I double-checked SRod and Bostick just to make sure.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Not Enough Outfielders

737671777F756C71786B6D60190 wrote: Confirmed that each has played both more innings and more games in the OF vs IF this season.  I double-checked SRod and Bostick just to make sure.

I didn't know Bostick played the infield too.

I guess I should have looked that up before I posted, but I was pretty sure I was correct with Rodriguez being the only questionable one. I knew Rodriguez had some time in the outfield for Atlanta too.
johnfluharty

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by johnfluharty »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: Confirmed that each has played both more innings and more games in the OF vs IF this season.  I double-checked SRod and Bostick just to make sure.

I guess I should have looked that up before I posted, but I was pretty sure I was correct with Rodriguez being the only questionable one.  I knew Rodriguez had some time in the outfield for Atlanta too.

I knew he'd played both but had no idea what the breakdown was.  30-something games at each LF, RF, and 2B with a handful at 3B and CF.  Of course games played does not say much about how good he is.  Having Jaso out there is an adventure in spite of his being arguably correctly classified as an OF, so Mainer's central concern of us not having enough OF is legit. 
Ecbucs

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by Ecbucs »

7E7B7C7A7278617C7566606D140 wrote: Confirmed that each has played both more innings and more games in the OF vs IF this season.  I double-checked SRod and Bostick just to make sure.

I guess I should have looked that up before I posted, but I was pretty sure I was correct with Rodriguez being the only questionable one.  I knew Rodriguez had some time in the outfield for Atlanta too.

I knew he'd played both but had no idea what the breakdown was.  30-something games at each LF, RF, and 2B with a handful at 3B and CF.  Of course games played does not say much about how good he is.  Having Jaso out there is an adventure in spite of his being arguably correctly classified as an OF, so Mainer's central concern of us not having enough OF is legit. 

Bostick has played 83 games in the outfield this season.

He has played 117 games in outfield in his career. Has played 560 at second.
johnfluharty

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by johnfluharty »

Yep, I saw that. He was definitely more of a 2B in the past. That doesn't mean he can't handle the outfield. I haven't seen him play so I will reserve judgement.
ArnoldRothstein

Not Enough Outfielders

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

They've played 139 games and 1243.2 innings, so 417 outfielder games and 3,731 outfielder innings.  Actually in the outfield:

McCutchen: 131 starts, 1,131.2 innings.

Polanco: 81 starts, 704.2 innings.

Marte: 57 starts, 512.1 innings.

Rodriguez: 6 starts, 63.1 innings.

Luplow: 6 starts, 60 innings.

Ortiz: 2 starts, 30.2 innings.

So from plausible* outfielders, we've had 283 starts, or 2.04 per game,  and 2,502.2 innings, or 18 per game.  So we've basically been an outfielder short at the start of each game, with no reserve (but I guess we already knew that).

*If Harrison is a plausible outfielder, then that's six more starts, which bumps it up to 2.08 per game.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Not Enough Outfielders

What do you consider Frazier? He has played 511 innings in the outfield compared to 203 in the infield.

The point is that the Pirates aren't trying to fool the fans or anyone else in saying they have all of these outfielders. It is based on innings played or games played at that position.

*For Fantasy Baseball players, Anthony Rizzo can now pass as a second baseman since he has 10 games played there due to their shifting. Rizzo has only 4 innings there, but ten games since he switches per situation, not the entire inning.