Trade Deadline Deals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Re: Trade Deadline Deals

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Hmm, Termarr Johnson removed from the game for a pinch hitter in late innings in a close game (which they ended up winning in extras).
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

SammyKhalifa wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:49 pm Hmm, Termarr Johnson removed from the game for a pinch hitter in late innings in a close game (which they ended up winning in extras).
https://x.com/CWolfPGH/status/181835978 ... gr%5Etweet
There's no basement in the Alamo.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ah ok. Thanks. I get suspicious this time of year . . .
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:25 pm It's funny, listening to the Fan and those guys going nuts. They are coming to the realization that some of you needed to come to. I have said it from the get go: I don't expect them to do much of anything, and if they did, it would be dumping Chapman for a controllable AAA guy or two. They have said it over and over, and people seem to miss the important part of the sentence: "We look to continually upgrade the offense, BUT we're comfortable with our internal options."

Someone made a comment a long time ago when BC was hired, about the biggest criticism from Boston fans when he was there: He loves hoarding prospects. He can't let them go.

Some of the names being thrown around won't budge this offense much at all. Kevin Pillar? Puhlease.

I honestly believe upper management never expected the team to be where they are at.

Keep in mind folks, they still ARE NOT in a playoff position. Two of the three teams that currently hold a spot, the Mets and Braves, have the tiebreaker over the Pirates. The one in front of them in the first spot out, holds the tiebreaker over the Pirates (who can turn that this weekend when AZ visits). The team they are tied with, holds the tiebreaker over the Pirates.

Fighting for that last spot, they can't be tied, because they'll lose out.

I think they hope they can improve the roster with controllable guys, but chances are, they are going to ride this out, and hope what they have is enough.
Surge, they've been repeating those same words for years, and what's been the result? It's always the same: no postseason. If I hear "comfortable with our internal options" one more time, I'm going to start to pull your hair out because mine's all gone. Do you think it might be time to try something different?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm simply stating what I felt was going to happen, so I am not expecting anything, because they basically have told us they aren't going to make any moves.

They're happy to be listed as being "in" on discussions, or "checking in" on a player. In the end, it will be, "the prospect cost was too high".

We're also not the only team behaving this way. So in addition to the "cost was too high" line, it will be, "not many other did much of anything WOW either."

I'm watching MLB network right now, and they are kind of putting down Boston for doing the same thing.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:35 pm Doc, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm simply stating what I felt was going to happen, so I am not expecting anything, because they basically have told us they aren't going to make any moves.

They're happy to be listed as being "in" on discussions, or "checking in" on a player. In the end, it will be, "the prospect cost was too high".

We're also not the only team behaving this way. So in addition to the "cost was too high" line, it will be, "not many other did much of anything WOW either."

I'm watching MLB network right now, and they are kind of putting down Boston for doing the same thing.
But that's not what Nutting said. About a month ago he was saying the good work of the pitching staff was incentive enough to get help offensively. So he was lying again? I guess I'm the dumb one because I fell for it just like I have in the past.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

There you go Doc. See? The Bucs were "in it".
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:51 pm
There you go Doc. See? The Bucs were "in it".
I guess I could do the same thing and say I stopped into a Rolls Royce dealership and inquired about one of their cars. My commitment would be about what the Pirates' has been.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Padres get Tanner Scott from Marlins.

Trevor Richards to Twins. Twins were the last team to make a deal of any sort.