Official Game Thread - 8/4 - Bucs vs Dbacks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/4 - Bucs vs Dbacks

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:05 pm Shelton is being ripped by the news media for his decisions in yesterdays
loss to Arizona. Some of those have already been mentioned here. The one not
mentioned was with runners on 1st and third and one out in the 7th, why didn't
Reynolds steal 2nd? Arizona wouldn't have thrown down to second. Then Cruz hits into
a inning ending DP.
That was the 2nd inning and they were leading 4-0 at the time. (In the 7th, Reynolds had a 1-out double and the next two batters struck out.) So it was early in the game and no need to risk getting the runner thrown out at home if the SS cuts off the throw in front of 2B and throws home, which is often the defensive counter to that play. I think Shelton cost them the game but I can't fault him in that instance.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Was it the second inning that Cruz hit into the double play?
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:17 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:05 pm Shelton is being ripped by the news media for his decisions in yesterdays
loss to Arizona. Some of those have already been mentioned here. The one not
mentioned was with runners on 1st and third and one out in the 7th, why didn't
Reynolds steal 2nd? Arizona wouldn't have thrown down to second. Then Cruz hits into
a inning ending DP.
That was the 2nd inning and they were leading 4-0 at the time. (In the 7th, Reynolds had a 1-out double and the next two batters struck out.) So it was early in the game and no need to risk getting the runner thrown out at home if the SS cuts off the throw in front of 2B and throws home, which is often the defensive counter to that play. I think Shelton cost them the game but I can't fault him in that instance.
I just listened to the podcast again, Bobster. You were correct. However the DP took the bucs out what could
have been a big inning. After that their pitcher settled down. The reporter, Noah Hills, said he gave Shelton a B for July and a
B+ for June. So he is not a Shelton basher like most of us are. He did say that this was propably the worst
managed game of Shelton's career