Roster moves.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Re: Roster moves.

Post by Osushawn »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:08 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:22 pm If Cruz buys into the switch, it could work out really well because he can run like crazy and his arm is other-worldly. But I wonder about his attention span. As I observed him at the game I attended a few weeks back, he didn't seem focused. In between pitches, he was looking all around the ballpark and didn't seem to be paying attention. And that was at shortstop!!! I fear what he'll be like in the outfield where he may not have a ball hit to him for a few straight innings.

Will he remember to back-up second base on a steal attempt? Will he put himself in a position to quickly get to an errant throw by one of the infielders? I can see him just standing around watching and not being ready to help if needed. But just like getting better at SS, it's up to him. If he's not willing to put in the work, to learn what he needs to do in every circumstance, to be able to anticipate, he's going to be as useless there as he's been at SS.

I'd love to see him be the player his huge talent indicates he can be but I've concluded his best position is at DH. I just don't think he has the mental make-up to play in the field.

If he becomes a DH what do the Pirates do with Cutch? Letting him leave by free agency will surely upset much of the fan base. I am glad he returned to the Pirates, but if he still wants to play and not retire the Pirates somehow have to work around that.
What more can Nutting to do upset the fan base than not shell out some coin to field a winning team. He doesn't care about the fans and doesn't give two shits about Cutch coming back. Sorry for language
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:22 pm If Cruz buys into the switch, it could work out really well because he can run like crazy and his arm is other-worldly. But I wonder about his attention span. As I observed him at the game I attended a few weeks back, he didn't seem focused. In between pitches, he was looking all around the ballpark and didn't seem to be paying attention. And that was at shortstop!!! I fear what he'll be like in the outfield where he may not have a ball hit to him for a few straight innings.

Will he remember to back-up second base on a steal attempt? Will he put himself in a position to quickly get to an errant throw by one of the infielders? I can see him just standing around watching and not being ready to help if needed. But just like getting better at SS, it's up to him. If he's not willing to put in the work, to learn what he needs to do in every circumstance, to be able to anticipate, he's going to be as useless there as he's been at SS.

I'd love to see him be the player his huge talent indicates he can be but I've concluded his best position is at DH. I just don't think he has the mental make-up to play in the field.

If he becomes a DH what do the Pirates do with Cutch? Letting him leave by free agency will surely upset much of the fan base. I am glad he returned to the Pirates, but if he still wants to play and not retire the Pirates somehow have to work around that.
What do the Pirates do about McCutchen? Ask him to retire and give him a big send off as an all-time Pirates hero. Every player has to stop sometime. He's had a decent year but he's going to be 38 and unlikely to be better next season. If they resign him, they'll have to go through the same scenario again next October. How long do they keep doing that dance?
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:50 pm

What do the Pirates do about McCutchen? Ask him to retire and give him a big send off as an all-time Pirates hero. Every player has to stop sometime. He's had a decent year but he's going to be 38 and unlikely to be better next season. If they resign him, they'll have to go through the same scenario again next October. How long do they keep doing that dance?
I can see that happening, the only questions are whether he wants to keep playing and if another team is in the picture. If a legitimate contender wants to pay him 5 million or more it could be tough to turn down. If does go elsewhere, he can always do a one day signing to retire as a Bucco.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:15 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:50 pm

I can see that happening, the only questions are whether he wants to keep playing and if another team is in the picture. If a legitimate contender wants to pay him 5 million or more it could be tough to turn down. If does go elsewhere, he can always do a one day signing to retire as a Bucco.
I agree. If McCutchen wants to keep playing, and he can find another team to sign him, good for him. But at his age, his best days are in the past. Injuries, ones that are more serious at his age, have a greater chance of happening. That’s not what the Pirates need next year.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Don't know how many saw it but the situation in which
the Cub pitcher walked the buc batter with the bases loaded
( I think it was Triolo) Cruz more or less walked in from third.
Maybe he was trying to be funny but Major League Ball Players
don't do that.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:52 pm Don't know how many saw it but the situation in which
the Cub pitcher walked the buc batter with the bases loaded
( I think it was Triolo) Cruz more or less walked in from third.
Maybe he was trying to be funny but Major League Ball Players
don't do that.
Doesn’t surprise me at all. He may be the laziest, uncaring player I’ve seen since Kevin Young, who in his last year or two, moved toward the plate as if he was headed to the electric chair. Just wait until he goes to, and returns from, center field in between innings. Even worse, imagine him being up first in an inning and him strolling in from the outfield. MLB may have to implement delay of game penalties.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Last edited by 3pirates3 on Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Don't know enough about the job either of those guys were doing but hopefully this is for the best. One example is that the Dominican facility hasn't exactly paid dividends in terms of graduates getting to the big leagues and performing well.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wonder if this could be the final days for a couple of Pirates? Since players must be on teams for the playoffs by September 1 I could see the Pirates designating, or placing on waivers some players who would be attractive to teams with playoff possibilities. In most cases the new teams would assume the players remaining salary. In other words, a salary dump for the Pirates, and they could add a player or two from Indy to see if they are MLB ready.