general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wildwoodcoach

Re: Official Griping About Announcers Thread

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Currently watching the Mets at the Mariners. I believe I have discovered
announcers worse than Brownie, Walk and Joe B. They zeroed in on the 3 Mariner
announcers while they were getting food delivered by a delivery guy. They then
put the headset and microphone on the delivery guy and began asking him questions.
Never saw anything like it.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:37 am Currently watching the Mets at the Mariners. I believe I have discovered
put the headset and microphone on the delivery guy and began asking him questions.
It's an annoying trend where they try to make the announcers the entertainment. That's what I can't stand about Greg Brown. He wants to entertain the audience between pitches. Just call the game!

Look at the NFL studio shows. Every host has to try to have a bigger personality than the next one. Instead of giving info on the upcoming games, we are treated to debating, jokes, teasing, constant laughter and one of the shows even includes a segment where someone wears a wolf mask and howls. I used to watch those shows when they were info-driven. I can't watch them anymore. I think it's an insult to the intelligence of the audience when they think we can't just watch a ball game or watch a studio show without the announcers performing for us.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:59 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:37 am Currently watching the Mets at the Mariners. I believe I have discovered
It's an annoying trend where they try to make the announcers the entertainment. That's what I can't stand about Greg Brown. He wants to entertain the audience between pitches. Just call the game!

Look at the NFL studio shows. Every host has to try to have a bigger personality than the next one. Instead of giving info on the upcoming games, we are treated to debating, jokes, teasing, constant laughter and one of the shows even includes a segment where someone wears a wolf mask and howls. I used to watch those shows when they were info-driven. I can't watch them anymore. I think it's an insult to the intelligence of the audience when they think we can't just watch a ball game or watch a studio show without the announcers performing for us.
Bobster, it's the same thing in between innings when attending ballgames. There's constant music or activity that dulls the senses and distracts from the game. It's no longer about the game, it's about the "experience". It even begins outside the park with all the entertainment that goes on all around the exterior an hour or two before the game begins. I prefer to just consume a ballgame. I don't need a carnival to wrap itself around it.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Tuesday's late game broadcast in SD began with a 30 second skit of Sinatra's "Luck Be A Lady" playing over Brown and Capps trying to be funny by sitting at a table, making faces, cutting cards with scissors and throwing salt over their shoulders. It was a very lame 30 seconds. But during the game, Brown was thanking the production crew and talking about how it took several hours to film that skit. The finished product was a waste of the production crew's time, Brown and Capps time, and the viewers' time. But Brown wants to be an entertainer. He's the Michael Scott of PBP broadcasting.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:23 pm Tuesday's late game broadcast in SD began with a 30 second skit of Sinatra's "Luck Be A Lady" playing over Brown and Capps trying to be funny by sitting at a table, making faces, cutting cards with scissors and throwing salt over their shoulders. It was a very lame 30 seconds. But during the game, Brown was thanking the production crew and talking about how it took several hours to film that skit. The finished product was a waste of the production crew's time, Brown and Capps time, and the viewers' time. But Brown wants to be an entertainer. He's the Michael Scott of PBP broadcasting.
He's a Horses ASS!!!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

It was bad enough to be no-hit and lose 12-0 but that gave Brown and Walk the incentive to try to hijack the game and be the entertainment themselves. Way too much irrelevant gabbing. Frustrating as the game was, any no-hitter is still a part of MLB history. Being part of that should have given them plenty to talk about as far as the game itself and/or tales of other no-hitters. But we were treated to lots of camera time for the announcers as they jibber-jabbered with each other, the story (and video) of Walk's only career HR, a look at the radio booth where they wondered what Block and Wehner might be joking about.

It's the attitude of the entire franchise. The GM doesn't care. The manager doesn't care. Too many players don't seem to care (the game ended with Cruz doing his usual jog to 1B) and the announcers don't care. Maybe they operate this way because they don't want the fans to care. The more the fans care, the more upset they become with the organization. Better to treat the game as a sideshow while focusing on wanna-be funny announcers and interviews with babysitters (as we got for an entire half-inning the other day). What an F-ing disgrace this organization has become. :(
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:25 pm It was bad enough to be no-hit and lose 12-0 but that gave Brown and Walk the incentive to try to hijack the game and be the entertainment themselves. Way too much irrelevant gabbing. Frustrating as the game was, any no-hitter is still a part of MLB history. Being part of that should have given them plenty to talk about as far as the game itself and/or tales of other no-hitters. But we were treated to lots of camera time for the announcers as they jibber-jabbered with each other, the story (and video) of Walk's only career HR, a look at the radio booth where they wondered what Block and Wehner might be joking about.

It's the attitude of the entire franchise. The GM doesn't care. The manager doesn't care. Too many players don't seem to care (the game ended with Cruz doing his usual jog to 1B) and the announcers don't care. Maybe they operate this way because they don't want the fans to care. The more the fans care, the more upset they become with the organization. Better to treat the game as a sideshow while focusing on wanna-be funny announcers and interviews with babysitters (as we got for an entire half-inning the other day). What an F-ing disgrace this organization has become. :(
Not to excuse anyone or anything you said. You're absolutely correct on all counts. But one person could change the whole thing this very day if he wanted to, if he cared enough to. But he's perfectly content with how everything is.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:16 pm
Bobster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:25 pm It was bad enough to be no-hit and lose 12-0 but that gave Brown and Walk the incentive to try to hijack the game and be the entertainment themselves. Way too much irrelevant gabbing. Frustrating as the game was, any no-hitter is still a part of MLB history. Being part of that should have given them plenty to talk about as far as the game itself and/or tales of other no-hitters. But we were treated to lots of camera time for the announcers as they jibber-jabbered with each other, the story (and video) of Walk's only career HR, a look at the radio booth where they wondered what Block and Wehner might be joking about.

Not to excuse anyone or anything you said. You're absolutely correct on all counts. But one person could change the whole thing this very day if he wanted to, if he cared enough to. But he's perfectly content with how everything is.
Definitely! Everyone in the organization is aware that the owner doesn't care. There is no priority on winning. Shelton's lineups and pitching decisions never seem designed to get the most he can out of his roster, limited as that may be. Cherington is still playing guys who have no future with the team beyond this year while players who could contribute remain in AAA. Obviously, those things don't matter to him. It really annoys me to see players dogging it. But they're in the middle of this crap every day and there have to be times when they are thinking, "Nobody else cares, why should I?" A total housecleaning is needed. But I doubt Nutting has any interest in doing that. The business is making a profit. Another successful year!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:15 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:16 pm

Definitely! Everyone in the organization is aware that the owner doesn't care. There is no priority on winning. Shelton's lineups and pitching decisions never seem designed to get the most he can out of his roster, limited as that may be. Cherington is still playing guys who have no future with the team beyond this year while players who could contribute remain in AAA. Obviously, those things don't matter to him. It really annoys me to see players dogging it. But they're in the middle of this crap every day and there have to be times when they are thinking, "Nobody else cares, why should I?" A total housecleaning is needed. But I doubt Nutting has any interest in doing that. The business is making a profit. Another successful year!
When you're right, you're right.