Roster moves.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Re: Roster moves.

Post by mouse »

This seems an odd time of year for Cruz to be trying to learn centerfield. On the other hand, a good move I suspect in the long run.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Pirates manager Derek Shelton just revealed that Oneil Cruz will move from SS to CF, with Isiah Kiner-Falefa playing SS and Nick Gonzales at 2B.

Wow! Good move!
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:24 pm This seems an odd time of year for Cruz to be trying to learn centerfield. On the other hand, a good move I suspect in the long run.
Don't forget how great it worked moving Davis from catcher to rightfield with little practice. What's the worst that can happen?

I don't mind moving him to centerfield but think it should have happened in the off season in Florida and in winter ball. As far as I know he hasn't practiced in the outfield at all.

Maybe Shelton and Ben made the move now because they don't expect to be here after the season.
Doc

Post by Doc »

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:24 pm This seems an odd time of year for Cruz to be trying to learn centerfield. On the other hand, a good move I suspect in the long run.
Actually, it seems like a good time to do it. The team is basically out of the playoff race but is still playing major league games. If he screws up out there it won't matter. Management gets to see him under real conditions. If he succeeds, he's ready to take over next year. If he messes up, then they need to have a back-up plan, like making him solely a DH because, one things for sure, he should never play SS again.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:49 am
Actually, it seems like a good time to do it. The team is basically out of the playoff race but is still playing major league games. If he screws up out there it won't matter. Management gets to see him under real conditions. If he succeeds, he's ready to take over next year. If he messes up, then they need to have a back-up plan, like making him solely a DH because, one things for sure, he should never play SS again.
Agreed. It makes sense. He's got a month left in the season. That gives him a leg up on spring training next year to adjust to the new position.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:32 am
Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 1:49 am
Agreed. It makes sense. He's got a month left in the season. That gives him a leg up on spring training next year to adjust to the new position.
I don't think learning a new position at the MLB level is a good idea in general. Of course he is going to have to show something in practice to even get on the field. It will be interesting to see how many times he is DH before he gets into center. Bae isn't the greatest outfielder and he played some there every year in the minors beginning in 2021. I also wonder how much situational coaching the Bucs are going to give him. He is going to need to learn what bases to throw to, how to react to other outfielders etc. Regardless of what he does in the rest of this season to be a successful outfielder he is going to have to put a lot of work in during the off season. I wish we still had Bill Virdon as a coach.

Looking at his stats, Cruz has improved his average, oba, and slugging this year over 2022. If he can make another jump like that next year and be solid in the outfield the Bucs could take a step forward.
Doc

Post by Doc »

If Cruz buys into the switch, it could work out really well because he can run like crazy and his arm is other-worldly. But I wonder about his attention span. As I observed him at the game I attended a few weeks back, he didn't seem focused. In between pitches, he was looking all around the ballpark and didn't seem to be paying attention. And that was at shortstop!!! I fear what he'll be like in the outfield where he may not have a ball hit to him for a few straight innings.

Will he remember to back-up second base on a steal attempt? Will he put himself in a position to quickly get to an errant throw by one of the infielders? I can see him just standing around watching and not being ready to help if needed. But just like getting better at SS, it's up to him. If he's not willing to put in the work, to learn what he needs to do in every circumstance, to be able to anticipate, he's going to be as useless there as he's been at SS.

I'd love to see him be the player his huge talent indicates he can be but I've concluded his best position is at DH. I just don't think he has the mental make-up to play in the field.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Jones is back and starting tonight.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:22 pm If Cruz buys into the switch, it could work out really well because he can run like crazy and his arm is other-worldly. But I wonder about his attention span. As I observed him at the game I attended a few weeks back, he didn't seem focused. In between pitches, he was looking all around the ballpark and didn't seem to be paying attention. And that was at shortstop!!! I fear what he'll be like in the outfield where he may not have a ball hit to him for a few straight innings.

Will he remember to back-up second base on a steal attempt? Will he put himself in a position to quickly get to an errant throw by one of the infielders? I can see him just standing around watching and not being ready to help if needed. But just like getting better at SS, it's up to him. If he's not willing to put in the work, to learn what he needs to do in every circumstance, to be able to anticipate, he's going to be as useless there as he's been at SS.

I'd love to see him be the player his huge talent indicates he can be but I've concluded his best position is at DH. I just don't think he has the mental make-up to play in the field.

If he becomes a DH what do the Pirates do with Cutch? Letting him leave by free agency will surely upset much of the fan base. I am glad he returned to the Pirates, but if he still wants to play and not retire the Pirates somehow have to work around that.