Official Game Thread - 8/2 - Diamondbacks @ Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/2 - Diamondbacks @ Bucs

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:57 am
GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:50 am That guy nobody likes around here is 4-4 tonight...now will New York see it right and give him the go ahead RBI as well?
I’ll admit I don’t like him even a little bit. He’s having a good night. I’d rather he have his good nights in another team’s uniform along with the many more bad nights.
I like Cruz as a hitter and he'll only get better when he learns to lay off pitches in the dirt. I blame the Pirates for miscasting him as a SS. If he were playing 1B or OF, our only complaint would be about him chasing too many bad pitches. If he went to another team, they'd be smart enough not to put him at SS and we would be frustrated watching him hit well while not making bad plays in the field.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

I kept thinking this relief pitcher's last name was Florio. Somewhere in my shed is an old bucket with a 'Florio Free in '93' bumper sticker on it.

Buckle up, it looks like the suddenly struggling Holderman is coming on.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Not looking forward to Holderman pitching the 8th. He's been a disaster lately but Shelton only follows his formula. Performance doesn't matter.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 1:05 am
Doc wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:57 am
GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:50 am That guy nobody likes around here is 4-4 tonight...now will New York see it right and give him the go ahead RBI as well?
I’ll admit I don’t like him even a little bit. He’s having a good night. I’d rather he have his good nights in another team’s uniform along with the many more bad nights.
I like Cruz as a hitter and he'll only get better when he learns to lay off pitches in the dirt. I blame the Pirates for miscasting him as a SS. If he were playing 1B or OF, our only complaint would be about him chasing too many bad pitches. If he went to another team, they'd be smart enough not to put him at SS and we would be frustrated watching him hit well while not making bad plays in the field.
That’s fair, but I don’t have the same confidence you do that he’ll learn to lay off bad pitches. I don’t know if he’s capable of learning. He’ll likely produce lots of majestic HRs but not as many as his talent suggests. I believe he’ll be a guy who, when he retires one day, will not have lived up to the possibilities.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

True to form, Holderman gives up a hit to his first batter.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Holderman can't be trusted anymore. Shelton needs a new formula.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Well, let's get those runs back.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Martinez throws as fast as Chapman. Maybe he can be wild too.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I expect Holderman to go on the IL soon. That's the pattern for Pirate relievers who struggle over a period of time.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

It’s extremely frustrating to have the Bucs make a great comeback only to have Holderman blow up for the third consecutive time. Shelton should have gone to the hot hand Santana.