3pirates3

Re: Official Game Thread

Post by 3pirates3 »

Bart comes through again with a double.

https://x.com/AndrewDestin1/status/1821631437419753505
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

German Township wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:26 pm After jogging to first and then attempting to get to second, Cruz should have been immediately replaced. His head seems to be NEVER in the game. So, so many mental mistakes, along the the many errors is costing the team wins. he did it again in the 9th.I would sit him for as it long as it takes, maybe even a trip to the minors until he gets his head out of his ass. Bednar has not been the same since last year after the all star break. Nicholas should be the closer!
We never hear anything about Cruz's past or personal life but I wonder if his thinking is as flawed off the field as it is on.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Lose 5 of 6 at home to two teams the bucs are chasing is deplorable
Bednar?? I don't know what to say.
De La Cruz is I think 3-27 since acquiring him
Joey Bart was a steal
O'Neil Cruz- I have no time for him and his exit velocity. Responding to what
you said about Cruz, Bobster, I don't know if he can even think. Too often, I see this
blank stare like he is on something.
Chapman who many of us were down on in April and May except for Nicholas is all we have
in the late innings.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:45 pm
German Township wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:26 pm After jogging to first and then attempting to get to second, Cruz should have been immediately replaced. His head seems to be NEVER in the game. So, so many mental mistakes, along the the many errors is costing the team wins. he did it again in the 9th.I would sit him for as it long as it takes, maybe even a trip to the minors until he gets his head out of his ass. Bednar has not been the same since last year after the all star break. Nicholas should be the closer!
We never hear anything about Cruz's past or personal life but I wonder if his thinking is as flawed off the field as it is on.
I agree Bobster about sitting him or even sending him down. Letting him get away with this nonchalant attitude
can be a cancer on a team
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:35 pm The score is now 4-3 Padres after 6. Cruz just caused the bucs a big inning.
After driving in Reynolds to make it 4-1, he is thrown out at second because as usual
he was slow getting out of the box while watching the ball. The bucs left the bases loaded.
Getting tired of this clown and his lackadaisical attitude. When will they start holding him
accountable?
No one's held him accountable so far so why should he change? This guy's a loser and he always will be.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:20 pm I think I like Jonathan India more than Cruz. How bad is that?
https://youtu.be/i7mr9F7kHMM?si=OvIV3FZ3RCCWQ7Rz
Doc

Post by Doc »

I used to think that. Now I believe nothing will change him. It's his personality. He's 25 years old. He's gotten this far being a slacker. I doubt that anyone can change him and I doubt he's at all interested in changing. I'd make it a primary goal to unload him during the offseason.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pirates are through 18 games of a 24 game gauntlet, with 21 of them total against NL opponents, with 3 against the Astros. I felt if they could go 12-12 in that span, it would be enough.

They are 8-10. Of the 10 losses: Lost 2-1 with Skenes pitching. Lost to AZ 4-3 after being up 3-1 into the 6th. Lost to AZ 9-5 when Priester came on to give up 5 runs. Blew a 4-0 lead in the last game against the Astros with a sweep almost apparent, when Holderman came in and lost it. Lost 9-8 to AZ at PNC, where the Bucs fell behind 5-0 in first, battled back to take the lead, only to see the bullpen gicve up runs in the 7-8-9 inings, Holderman again with the loss. Lost chance to take the series against AZ last sunday 5-4 after Bucs blew a 4-0 lead with Skenes on the mound, Holderman again takes the loss. They lose yesterday 9-8 with the lead going into the 9th, Bednar a blown save and Holderman taking another loss. And of course today, falling behind 4-0, take the lead into the 9th, and Bednar with the blown save and the loss.

Six of the losses, they had the lead in the 6th or later. They lost 2-1 with Skenes pitching into the 9th and a1-1 game, and he's tagged with the loss when the bullpen allows an inherited runner to score.

They have had some monumental, inspiring comebacks that only became the most gut wrenching of losses. And it's not just the bullpen. Shelton's game day rosters and utilization of the bench, as well as no feel for the bullpen what soever contribute mightily. Horrendous defense by Cruz, Grandal, Bae, Tellez were contributing factors to many of the losses. Runners in scoring position and not outs, not cashed in that would have won a couple of games in the 9th or extra innings.

This team doesn't know how to win! And with Shelton, there still doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency. He still manages to massage egos. His explanations for moves he makes or doesn't make are comical. He doesn't stick up for his team. The Pirates were absolutely hosed on balls and strikes Wednesday night, and he sits there like a dunce. There's no finishing kick to this team. Seven of those 10 losees, you have to win at least 3 or 4 of those games. Then again, many of those losses they had no business being in the hunt to begin with, having dug themselves in a hole.

What would I do? First, I send Cruz down to AAA for the rest of the season. If by some miracle the Pirates make the playoffs, I don't call him up either. Next, I sit down with Skenes and have a chat. You're the big cheese now, we get it. But unless it's simply Grandal's turn to catch, like a day game after a night game, we go with Bart. He's better defensively and offensively. I send Bae down, probably DFA and bring up one of the AAA outfielders that still hasn't had their shot on the Pirates. He's useless. He can't throw out his shadow, he's a horrible base stealer on the rare chance he even reaches base, and most of all, he can't hit major league pitching.

My lineup going forward, each and every day, and forget the "rest" thing:
Cutch
Reynolds
IKF
Bart
Tellez
De La Cruz
Yorke
Gorski
Hayes
Bench: Grandal, Joe, Taylor
to make room for Yorke and Gorski, DFA Bae and Triolo. When Palacios is done with his rehab, he's back at AAA and first guy up for the OF, and Peguero fist guy up for the infield if someone isn't making the grade, and swap places in AAA.

I bring up Braxton Ashcraft as a starter/long relief. You send down the one you have least confidence in between Woodford and Santana. My starting rotation would be Skenes, Keller, Ortiz, Falter, Ashcraft/Gonzales/Woodford the final three being a combination of long relief/ 5th and 6th starter.

Keep in mind, in no way am I saying this is the only way to go. It's a shake up more than anything. At some point, Jones comes back to the fold, and in that case, they have to make a decision on Gonzales. He has a 15 million dollar club option for 2025, with no buyout. The Bucs didn't even come close to paying his entire 12 million dollar salary this season. I would just release him at this point.

Last but not least. Fire Shelton.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I will say this, if Cruz is at SS next season I am not going to waste my
money on the MLB package just to watch the bucs