6/28 Bucs Nova take on Snell Rays

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, but it seems like people want to play them to find out. Which is fine, but that's what rebuilding teams do.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

If you're not confident enough in a guy to play him a couple days at week then he should be left in AAA.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah you have to agree with that.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Keep going...who else has Hurdle played over the younger, better player?
Osuna is another who gets little playing time while Polanco struggles or Jaso plays.

You can't deny the upside of Polanco and what he did last year. It's not like Polanco is just aging veteran.  He still needs at bats to get going to prove himself too.  Tough call with Polanco.

Osuna and Jaso are about even and are kind of platooning.  More right-handed batters, more playing time for Jaso. 

Osuna is coming around.  He should play more.  I would play him over Frazier and Polanco with the right match ups.  Maybe he should platoon with Frazier, who has struggled lately? 

I can't agree with you on Polanco. He had a nice year last year but still faded. I don't like his long swing if things are not going perfectly for him he is going to struggle. He takes routes in the OF that little leaguers might take. He does have a strong arm and runs well. I've seen enough to know what he is. I would rather see Osuna/Jaso/Frazier.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

5D585F59515B425F5645434E370 wrote: Freese has gone cold too.  It may be best to give him time some time off and play Harrison over there more.
Yeah Freese might need some time off to recharge. I would consider playing JHay over there a couple of days a week. This will be easier once Marte returns.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

05373B3B2F1D3E373A3F3037560 wrote: If the idea is to play new young guys to see what they can do, I'm not sure why we would not then start dealing off our older assets.
I don't think it's a matter of just wanting to see what young guys can do. It's a matter of trying your best to win games. Polanco, despite all the hype, has been a disappointment. Career high BA is .258 and his career BA is .251 in 1600 ABs. Career SLG of .399 is not good either. And he's weak defensively. If the team was doing well, I would keep him hitting 6th or 7th and hope to see that potential we heard so much about. And if the team was rebuilding and wins didn't matter, I would also give him every chance to show more than what we've seen. But the team is not winning and the offense is struggling. Osuna has looked good in a SSS so I would give him more ABs at Polanco's expense in hopes of improving the offense and winning more games. That could change if Osuna looks bad with more PT or if Polanco rebounded when he got his chances. So sometimres playing a young guy is more about trying to win today's game than about rebuilding.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It is too soon to give up on Polanco. He has been injured all season too. Sadly, he is better defensively than the others too (Jaso and Osuna).

With that said, Osuna needs more playing time. He should be starting against all lefties. He can also be inserted when the opponents bullpen is in the game too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: It is too soon to give up on Polanco.  He has been injured all season too.  Sadly, he is better defensively than the others too (Jaso and Osuna). 

With that said, Osuna needs more playing time.  He should be starting against all lefties.  He can also be inserted when the opponents bullpen is in the game too.
It's not giving up on Polanco. But he's not earning the PT he's getting. If they really want to do the best they can with what they've got, try someone else. Make Polanco a backup until he earns more PT.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

745954454253440407360 wrote: It is too soon to give up on Polanco.  He has been injured all season too.  Sadly, he is better defensively than the others too (Jaso and Osuna). 

With that said, Osuna needs more playing time.  He should be starting against all lefties.  He can also be inserted when the opponents bullpen is in the game too.
It's not giving up on Polanco. But he's not earning the PT he's getting. If they really want to do the best they can with what they've got, try someone else. Make Polanco a backup until he earns more PT.

I agree with this line of thinking. Osuna pulls with power, he hits the ball to the opposite field. Right now he just seems like a better, more sound hitter than Polanco.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: It is too soon to give up on Polanco.  He has been injured all season too.  Sadly, he is better defensively than the others too (Jaso and Osuna). 

That's not saying much that he is better defensively than the other 2 since they weren't OF's.