Official Game Thread - 7/22 - Bucs vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 7/22 - Bucs vs Cards

Post by Bobster »

At the end of May, Tellez was batting .177. But for June and July he's batting .325 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs (compare to Hayes with 21 RBIs for the entire season). The lineup now has Cutch (marginally productive at leadoff), Reynolds, Gonzales, Cruz and Tellez performing consistently. Bart has taken over as the #1 catcher after starting 10 of the past 13 games. He's done well defensively, is near the league average in caught-stealing, and is not an automatic out at the plate (6 HRs including 2 slams, 20 RBIs in 98 ABs).

So the lineup doesn't seem hapless like it did earlier in the season. But 3B, CF and RF remain essentially unproductive. That's a third of the lineup and positions that are usually productive on most teams. Connor Joe is a decent sub. It's time to give Palacios a good long look instead of regularly trotting out either Taylor or Suwinski or both. I think they're stuck with Hayes but he should never bat higher than 7th or 8th. If Rip Van Cherington acquires just one productive bat for the OF it could make a difference. The pitching is there! The hitting has improved but still isn't good enough. They can't afford to sit on their hands and wait for a 3rd of the lineup to eventually hit (and there's no reason to expect Taylor, Suwinski and Hayes to do that). But the improvement that has occurred (Reynolds having an all-star season, additions of Gonzales and Bart, Cruz hitting well and Tellez getting hot) have simplified what Cherington needs to do. One more solid bat might be enough.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:03 am At the end of May, Tellez was batting .177. But for June and July he's batting .325 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs (compare to Hayes with 21 RBIs for the entire season). The lineup now has Cutch (marginally productive at leadoff), Reynolds, Gonzales, Cruz and Tellez performing consistently. Bart has taken over as the #1 catcher after starting 10 of the past 13 games. He's done well defensively, is near the league average in caught-stealing, and is not an automatic out at the plate (6 HRs including 2 slams, 20 RBIs in 98 ABs).

So the lineup doesn't seem hapless like it did earlier in the season. But 3B, CF and RF remain essentially unproductive. That's a third of the lineup and positions that are usually productive on most teams. Connor Joe is a decent sub. It's time to give Palacios a good long look instead of regularly trotting out either Taylor or Suwinski or both. I think they're stuck with Hayes but he should never bat higher than 7th or 8th. If Rip Van Cherington acquires just one productive bat for the OF it could make a difference. The pitching is there! The hitting has improved but still isn't good enough. They can't afford to sit on their hands and wait for a 3rd of the lineup to eventually hit (and there's no reason to expect Taylor, Suwinski and Hayes to do that). But the improvement that has occurred (Reynolds having an all-star season, additions of Gonzales and Bart, Cruz hitting well and Tellez getting hot) have simplified what Cherington needs to do. One more solid bat might be enough.
Great summary. It's spot on. But if one bat is all BC is going to acquire, in can't be Taylor Ward. His bat is certainly better than either Taylor's or Suwinski's, but it's not enough. It has to be a bat that scares opposing pitchers, that puts the two guys directly in front of him and behind him in the line-up in better positions to see better pitches. Those bats cost more money, though, and that's the stumbling block. I so want Nutting to make me wrong.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Bobster wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:03 am At the end of May, Tellez was batting .177. But for June and July he's batting .325 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs (compare to Hayes with 21 RBIs for the entire season). The lineup now has Cutch (marginally productive at leadoff), Reynolds, Gonzales, Cruz and Tellez performing consistently. Bart has taken over as the #1 catcher after starting 10 of the past 13 games. He's done well defensively, is near the league average in caught-stealing, and is not an automatic out at the plate (6 HRs including 2 slams, 20 RBIs in 98 ABs).

Excellent observations. At a loss about Suwinski. Not sure what they are seeing with this guy???
Javy

Post by Javy »

Doc, I agree on the summary. It is very accurate.
I also agree with your observation that if they acquire only one hitter, it has to be someone more impactful than Ward. But, who might that be? We know they want a RH bat.
I do not think Luis Robert is the guy they need. He's talented, sure, but has a long history of injuries leading to lengthy absences as he has only played in more than 100 games once in his career (last year).
George Springer may be available, but he's getting up in years, is pretty expensive, and he's rapidly declining skill-wise.
I would love to see them get someone like Riley Green from Detroit, but with the Tigers close to competing, he's likely not available.
I'm sure there are several we could discuss, perhaps we could get a conversation going with others.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:34 pm Doc, I agree on the summary. It is very accurate.
I also agree with your observation that if they acquire only one hitter, it has to be someone more impactful than Ward. But, who might that be? We know they want a RH bat.
I do not think Luis Robert is the guy they need. He's talented, sure, but has a long history of injuries leading to lengthy absences as he has only played in more than 100 games once in his career (last year).
George Springer may be available, but he's getting up in years, is pretty expensive, and he's rapidly declining skill-wise.
I would love to see them get someone like Riley Green from Detroit, but with the Tigers close to competing, he's likely not available.
I'm sure there are several we could discuss, perhaps we could get a conversation going with others.
I'm totally opposed to Luis Robert. Too unreliable. Riley Green would be a terrific addition, especially at his age and how he's grown in his three years, but the Tigers would want a boatload for him, and rightly so. I can't pretend to know what other outfielders, from the few teams that are sellers at this time, who fit the mold we want, but there has to be someone. James Outman of the Dodgers seems to be a player who would be easy to get but he's had two stinker years in a row after a good rookie year. Maybe he needs a chance to play everyday in a new uniform. I don't think he'd help us much this year, though, but he might be a guy who can contribute beginning next year.