general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Re: The Other Games 2024

Post by Javy »

Doc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:44 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:40 am
I don't know how true this is but my sister sent me this picture of
Guaranteed Rate Field ( White Sox ) from Wednesday"s game.
Announced attendance 17.
The first thought some might have is for that to happen here. But it wouldn't move Nutting in any way towards improving the club. He has no shame.
That's right Doc. He would use the declining attendance to justify not improving the team until there was increased fan support.
If you recall, his stooge Coonelly used that same line around 2010 or 2011 to explain why Neal had to improve the team through his myriad of middle infield pick-ups like Clint Barmes, Bobby Crosby, and Jason Wood
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:39 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:44 pm

Announced attendance 17.
The first thought some might have is for that to happen here. But it wouldn't move Nutting in any way towards improving the club. He has no shame.
That's right Doc. He would use the declining attendance to justify not improving the team until there was increased fan support.
If you recall, his stooge Coonelly used that same line around 2010 or 2011 to explain why Neal had to improve the team through his myriad of middle infield pick-ups like Clint Barmes, Bobby Crosby, and Jason Wood
Indeed I do remember, Javy. Coonelly put the responsibility on the fans saying that we had to show up so the club could make more money, and then they could spend more money on players. It was a similar strategy for building PNC Park: build us a new ballpark with luxury suites, the Pirates said, so that we can have more money to spend on payroll. Except they didn't, then or since.

The responsibility always rests with somebody else. I've said it before: the organization is made-up of lying liars who lie.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Glad they put a real matchup on ESPN tonight. I don't care much for their announcers, and those cams on the umps or players can give someone motion sickness.

But it's still the national broadcast, and I love getting to watch it.

Braves and Phillies tonight in an awesome game so far.

I just enjoy being a baseball fan on Sunday night baseball, so I want the best matchup possible. I know that means a lot of Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, but you know what? They deserve to be on the national broadcasts.

I remember when it was a big deal the Pirates finally made it on after a gazillion years of never being on.
Javy

Post by Javy »

I know what you mean Surg. It's sad that you watch a national broadcast, and the announcers talk about a lot of teams and players, and never a mention of anything Pirates related.
That changed a little this year with the emergence of Skenes, but lately, there's been no mention of him either, as the Bucs have fallen off a cliff.

Not sure, but the last time they were on a national broadcast may have been the Little League Classic a couple years ago.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Javy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:28 am I know what you mean Surg. It's sad that you watch a national broadcast, and the announcers talk about a lot of teams and players, and never a mention of anything Pirates related.
That changed a little this year with the emergence of Skenes, but lately, there's been no mention of him either, as the Bucs have fallen off a cliff.

Not sure, but the last time they were on a national broadcast may have been the Little League Classic a couple years ago.
We don't see the White Sox either! :lol:
Javy

Post by Javy »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:32 am
Javy wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:28 am I know what you mean Surg. It's sad that you watch a national broadcast, and the announcers talk about a lot of teams and players, and never a mention of anything Pirates related.

No, that's for sure, but the Pale Hose are getting more discussion time just because they are on a historic pace for losses in the modern era!
Good thing the Bucs already faced them this season, or else, with our luck, ESPN or MLB Network would have scheduled them with the loss record on the line and the Sox would sweep them to avoid beating the Mets 1962 record.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:32 am

The White Sox were in the Little League Classic too! Maybe Bucs vs. White Sox next season. The kids will be using the Major League punchline, but being dead serious, "Who are these effin guys"
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I am lobbying for the White Sox to be demoted to Double A
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Announced attendance 17.
I decided to look up announced attendance and it was over 11,000. Even the ChiSox must have some season ticket holders.