Official Game Thread - 6/30 - Bucs @ Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/30 - Bucs @ Braves

Post by Doc »

I just saw video of Cruz’s HR. Does the man have a pulse? He jogged around the bases in record time for slowness and then walked the last two or three steps to the plate. That’s just weird to me. In fact, he’s altogether weird to me. I’m not saying it’s right but some team in the future is going to take offense to that and drill him or the batter who follows.

Suwinski’s now hitting .168 and it seems impossible not to see him being sent down later today. Of course, Taylor isn’t much of a replacement. But I’m not worrying. Nutting has expressed his concerns about the offense so I’m sure a deal for a legit outfield is in the works as we speak.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

1-2 in Atl. What I thought but last nights game will take awhile to get over.

And yes Wildwood I'm still keeping my dream of .500 alive. Sweep the Cards, easy peasy!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just got back from Maryland. What a weekend, karate tournament in Salamanca, NY yesterday leaving at 0400 and then leaving today at 0700. Sure missed my call from The Wizard, I think the last 2 or 3 times I was on my way down he called, made the trip so much better!

I can only imagine the the razzing the Braves starter would have gotten had they lost the game 2-1 instead of 4-2. I saw Suwinski scored, must have scored on Cruz' HR, and got on base by being HBP! Seriously, how do you hit Suwinski? How badly do you want to try and fool who might be the worst hitting position player in all of baseball right now?

Glad the Bucs got one. Too bad the fundamentals once again bit them in the butt yesterday, that was just another in a long line of losses that occured because someone didn't do something fundamentally sound.

I don't get Bart for Delay, what's everyone's opinion? Is it he has some more power? Is he better defensively? I guess considering the state of catching in MLB as a whole, does it even make a difference?

I know this question will bring about some laughs, but pretending the Pirates really want to upgrade the offense, and assuming CF is the spot, would the Pirates consider both sending down Suwinski AND DFA/trade Taylor and give some "internal" option a shot in the OF?

I honestly thought we were past the days of hanging on to guys way past the expiration date. I don't care if it's a revolving door, at this point even getting a guy with a .650 OPS ( in other words, another Olivares) would seem like an astromomical upgrade over Suwinski's .542 and Taylor's .492. They could just move Reynolds back to CF, those other two don't provide any kind of defense where Reynolds negates it with what he may lack between those two.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:47 pm Just got back from Maryland. What a weekend, karate tournament in Salamanca, NY yesterday leaving at 0400 and then leaving today at 0700. Sure missed my call from The Wizard, I think the last 2 or 3 times I was on my way down he called, made the trip so much better!

I can only imagine the the razzing the Braves starter would have gotten had they lost the game 2-1 instead of 4-2. I saw Suwinski scored, must have scored on Cruz' HR, and got on base by being HBP! Seriously, how do you hit Suwinski? How badly do you want to try and fool who might be the worst hitting position player in all of baseball right now?

Glad the Bucs got one. Too bad the fundamentals once again bit them in the butt yesterday, that was just another in a long line of losses that occured because someone didn't do something fundamentally sound.

I don't get Bart for Delay, what's everyone's opinion? Is it he has some more power? Is he better defensively? I guess considering the state of catching in MLB as a whole, does it even make a difference?

I know this question will bring about some laughs, but pretending the Pirates really want to upgrade the offense, and assuming CF is the spot, would the Pirates consider both sending down Suwinski AND DFA/trade Taylor and give some "internal" option a shot in the OF?

I honestly thought we were past the days of hanging on to guys way past the expiration date. I don't care if it's a revolving door, at this point even getting a guy with a .650 OPS ( in other words, another Olivares) would seem like an astromomical upgrade over Suwinski's .542 and Taylor's .492. They could just move Reynolds back to CF, those other two don't provide any kind of defense where Reynolds negates it with what he may lack between those two.
Regarding the catching situation, Grandal would be the odd man out if it were my decision. I’ve failed to see his contributions. Bart’s been a bit more than I thought but Delay would get four to five of the starts each week until he proves he’s not up to the task.

I’m still rooting for Henry Davis to grab the job but he’s basically losing a year of progress this season. When he’s ready, I would make him the starter and give him the rest of the year to prove he’s the best guy for the job. If not, Endy steps back in next year and Davis will have to learn a new position, become the DH if he can prove he can hit, or they might as well part ways with him. If he can’t play a position or hit, he’s not going to help. It doesn’t matter that he’s a first round pick and received a big bonus. Only the future counts.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:32 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:47 pm Just got back from Maryland. What a weekend, karate tournament in Salamanca, NY yesterday leaving at 0400 and then leaving today at 0700. Sure missed my call from The Wizard, I think the last 2 or 3 times I was on my way down he called, made the trip so much better!

Regarding the catching situation, Grandal would be the odd man out if it were my decision. I’ve failed to see his contributions. Bart’s been a bit more than I thought but Delay would get four to five of the starts each week until he proves he’s not up to the task.

I’m still rooting for Henry Davis to grab the job but he’s basically losing a year of progress this season. When he’s ready, I would make him the starter and give him the rest of the year to prove he’s the best guy for the job. If not, Endy steps back in next year and Davis will have to learn a new position, become the DH if he can prove he can hit, or they might as well part ways with him. If he can’t play a position or hit, he’s not going to help. It doesn’t matter that he’s a first round pick and received a big bonus. Only the future counts.
I agree with Surg about CF. I've never understood adding Taylor. The last thing the poor hitting 2023 Pirates needed was to add a poor-hitting OFer for 2024, which Taylor was known to be. Suwinski was not a top prospect when acquired. Basically a mediocre minor league hitter with power. And that has not translated well against MLB pitchers. I can't see any reason not to give Bae another chance. Or try Gorski in the OF and move Reynolds to CF.

I agree with Doc about the catching. Grandal is poor offensively and defensively. I'd prefer Delay over him. But Cherington seems to just want to stay the course and hope that the players who play poorly stop playing poorly. I wish the GM would stop GMing poorly.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:48 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:32 pm

I agree with Surg about CF. I've never understood adding Taylor. The last thing the poor hitting 2023 Pirates needed was to add a poor-hitting OFer for 2024, which Taylor was known to be. Suwinski was not a top prospect when acquired. Basically a mediocre minor league hitter with power. And that has not translated well against MLB pitchers. I can't see any reason not to give Bae another chance. Or try Gorski in the OF and move Reynolds to CF.

I agree with Doc about the catching. Grandal is poor offensively and defensively. I'd prefer Delay over him. But Cherington seems to just want to stay the course and hope that the players who play poorly stop playing poorly. I wish the GM would stop GMing poorly.
Yeah, it seems to be the organization’s goal to keep doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results, which would be the very thing to do if winning wasn’t the goal. So I guess the Pirates are good pretty good at meeting their objectives after all.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Not good news about Davis. Recoveries from concussions seem to be so unpredictable and different for each person.

As for the Pirates 10% chance of making the playoffs, once Nutting reads that little tidbit his message to find offensive help will be rescinded and it'll be business as usual the rest of the way, which means, play as close to .500 ball as possible to keep the fans engaged and hopeful, but not so well that the team would be expected to acquire good (read expensive) talent.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:37 am
Not good news about Davis. Recoveries from concussions seem to be so unpredictable and different for each person.

As for the Pirates 10% chance of making the playoffs, once Nutting reads that little tidbit his message to find offensive help will be rescinded and it'll be business as usual the rest of the way, which means, play as close to .500 ball as possible to keep the fans engaged and hopeful, but not so well that the team would be expected to acquire good (read expensive) talent.
That sums up the Pittsburgh Pirates under this regime. PO's me that my MLB experience is getting excited hoping for .500.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:37 am

I think the Fangraphs percentages are silly. Who comes up with that? What separates the 40% Mets from the 39% Royals? Some algorithm, I'm sure. But algorithms don't play the game. There are 11 teams with lower winning percentages than the Pirates. And 11 teams with lower than the Pirates' 10% odds. Gee, whodda thunk? Anyone can look at the standings and the rosters and see which teams have a better chance than other teams. And that changes daily. But when they have to put a specific numeric value on it, they're just trying to make themselves look smart.

As for what Nutting will do: if he uses those odds to justify not acquiring offensive help, it's like saying, "Our chances are poor because we have too few hitters. Therefore, we will not add hitters because our chances are poor." :?
There's no basement in the Alamo.