MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: MLB Draft

Post by Doc »

Drafting shortstops isn't a bad strategy because most of them, especially from high school, are their team's best baseball player and end up in other positions as professionals anyway. Watching video of his swing, it's long. They'll need to shorten that up as quickly as they can to get rid of the bad habits. I hope he's coachable. The good news, he's really young having graduated a year early. In the end, we're not going to know for four years if this was a good pick.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Sterling is even younger, seemed to be part of what they looked for.
Possum

Post by Possum »

With the two high school picks, will the Bucs be able to develop them?
Let's Go Bucs
Javy

Post by Javy »

I thought they might have gone with college hitters early, trying to supplement the window of opportunity with Skenes, Jones and Keller. Instead, it seems they are back-filling the minors with the next wave of players after them. For me, this is a concern because they have rarely developed players to a level that makes a difference at the big-league level.

The thought rambling around in my head this morning is, are they going to acquire some cost controlled talent at the deadline involving some of their pitching depth from the minors? That could be their path to contention during the Skenes/Jones era. If so, the question is, who do they go after that is available?
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Last edited by 3pirates3 on Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

I keep hoping that when the TV cameras go live to a draft war room that instead of everyone high-fiving and patting each other on the back, that people are being separated from coming to blows with each other, chairs flying, tables being flipped telephones being thrown...

"There appears to be some disagreement about the pick..."
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:23 pm I keep hoping that when the TV cameras go live to a draft war room that instead of everyone high-fiving and patting each other on the back, that people are being separated from coming to blows with each other, chairs flying, tables being flipped telephones being thrown...

"There appears to be some disagreement about the pick..."
.....and Nutting yelling in the background, "How much will it cost?"
There's no basement in the Alamo.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Cherington must like the upper level prospects enough to begin back filling the lower minors. I like the Griffin pick solely because he was generally regarded as the best player available at nine, and we have seen way to often that the Pirates have gone down the signability draft strategy...either trying to sign the first rounder, or getting a first round rebate in order to sign other players further down the draft. Get the best guy out there...for this organization, it should be that simple.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I didn't pay attention to other teams but thought it was funny that the Bucs war room folks were all wearing Hawaiian shirts.

Very surprised they took 3 high school players where even more projection on body and skill development is needed. However, all were top college prospects and success of Jared Jones as a second round high school draftee is a good sign.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:29 pm I didn't pay attention to other teams but thought it was funny that the Bucs war room folks were all wearing Hawaiian shirts.

Very surprised they took 3 high school players where even more projection on body and skill development is needed. However, all were top college prospects and success of Jared Jones as a second round high school draftee is a good sign.
The Hawaiian shirts were worn in honor of a scout who always wore an Hawaiian shirt on draft day. Unfortunately. the scout has a bout of cancer. So the shirts were worn to respect him. A nice gesture by the Pirates staff.