Bucs versus Brewers 9/22...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: That should just about do it being 4.5 back with 10 games to play is way too much to overcome. Once again in a game the Pirates absolutely had to win last night much like they have done all season long they pretty much pooped their damn pants.

That's been the theme all season.. Fans keep talking about what the Pirates need to do and then the Pirates fail to do it. Thru the entire season, it has seemed to me that the Pirates were not in the race that the fans perceived them to be in. With only 10 games left, the Pirates have matched a loss for every win (76-76). There has never been a time they seemed on the verge of being a WC team.

After playing 152 games, they have had winning streaks greater 2 games a grand total of 9 times: a 7 game streak, a 6 gamer, a 5 gamer, four 4 gamers and a pair of 3 game streaks. To offset those wins, they had losing streaks of 3 games or more 11 times. In the first week of the season they won 4 straight. In the 2nd week they lost 4 straight. The 6 game winning streak was followed by 4 straight losses. A 5 game winning streak in late May was followed by losing 6 of the next 7. There was a 2-13 stretch in June, then a 9-1 stretch in early July which was immediately followed by 3 straight losses. In August a 4 game win streak was followed by a 4 game losing streak. In late August a 4 game win streak was followed by an 8 game losing streak. In September, there's been a 4 game losing streak and a 4 game winning streak. 

The only consistent thing about the team has been that for every win, there's a loss. For every good streak there's an almost immediate bad streak. There has never been any sustained period of even 2 weeks when it looked like they were making a legitimate push for a post season spot. Other than an individual player here and there, the team as a whole has never appeared energized, fired up, determined, etc to do any better than play .500 ball. So all season when I've read comments like "here's what they need to do", I have thought, "Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen." For me, it's been a very unenjoyable season following a team that gave no reason to expect anything more than a loss for every win. The fact that the teams ahead of them didn't separate themselves too far from the Pirates has never made it seem any more realistic that the Pirates would catch them. You don't gain on teams by playing .500 ball unless the teams ahead of you play even worse than that. And that's not much of a plan.

I agree with you overall. But I disagree with you on saying "they were never really in it". They were in it many times after their big winning streaks. So, at that time Yes, they were in the race. You are right, they got out of it again with a bad losing streak.

That streak in June was the season in my opinion. Way to long of a losing streak. Don't forget, no other team was really pulling away either. They were all tied up yesterday.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: At least you saw a World Series. I have not.

Ahh.. you'll get there. I'm thinking when we have Tallion , Glasnow and Keller at the top of the rotation. Hopefully Glasnow develops...

I saw 3 WS and attended the 3 in yankee stadium in 1960.

Steve, your just a kid compared to me.   ;D  Well your just a year younger than me.  I too saw the 3 WS did go to Game 6 in 1960.  But also went to games in '71 and '79.  You have to say that those were thrilling seasons.  I do hope that guys like Dog get to enjoy the thrill of a WS winning season and in fact it would be nice for you and I to have that thrill again be for we go to the great ballfield in the sky! :)

Never really thought about it , but all of those 3 WS were fabulous. Hard for me to say which was my favorite.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5C5B4A594A1B162F0 wrote: At least you saw a World Series. I have not.

Ahh.. you'll get there. I'm thinking when we have Tallion , Glasnow and Keller at the top of the rotation. Hopefully Glasnow develops...

Steve, your just a kid compared to me.   ;D  Well your just a year younger than me.  I too saw the 3 WS did go to Game 6 in 1960.  But also went to games in '71 and '79.  You have to say that those were thrilling seasons.  I do hope that guys like Dog get to enjoy the thrill of a WS winning season and in fact it would be nice for you and I to have that thrill again be for we go to the great ballfield in the sky! :)

Never really thought about it , but all of those 3 WS were fabulous. Hard for me to say which was my favorite.

The 60 Series was my favorite. As a 12 yr old kid who played 2nd base in little league I idolized Maz. Loved to go to games and watch him in the field.

Then there was the 71 series or as I call it the Clemente Series. A young adult by that time I had learned to appreciate great players no matter their position. Clemente could do it all. We have not seen a guy like him in this town since his death.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: At least you saw a World Series. I have not.

The 60 Series was my favorite.  As a 12 yr old kid who played 2nd base in little league I idolized Maz.  Loved to go to games and watch him in the field.

Then there was the 71 series or as I call it the Clemente Series.  A young adult by that time I had learned to appreciate great players no matter their position.  Clemente could do it all.  We have not seen a guy like him in this town since his death.

60 series was IMO the greatest "win" of the 3. They looked to be outmatched and were blown out in 3 of the games. Lotsa joy when Maz hit that HR.

71 series was like you say ... a showcase for Roberto. What a great player . I never really had another "favorite player" after he died. Can still remember listening to KDKA and the B Prince as a kid. I'd be so disappointed when the radio reception was bad and didn't come in well in Syracuse NY.