4/19 Game Thread - Cole day in STL

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

5B6D6C7B70716B795A776B6B180 wrote: This team is soul crushing right now

That's for sure. This series was mind boggling.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I wonder if it has ever been done for a team to sweep or be swept in their first five series...
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

694E5F5B5E437C485F5E5E433A0 wrote: A sweep here pretty much totally takes away what the Pirates did at Wrigley last weekend. This team is so inconsistent it's sickening.
They're consistent.

Lose 2-1

Lose 2-1

Lose 2-1

All wins are on sweeps. All losses are on sweeps.

Won every Friday, Saturday and Sunday game so far.

Lost every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so far.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bad series. Both teams didn't really hit, but the Cardinals had the bigger hits.

The Pirates need to regroup. They need to get over this Marte situation (has to be on their minds). Maybe work on a trade on the off day? Not sure who for what, but more playing time for Osuna or Gosselin will not be good.

Man, has the starting pitching been good been good? Need some bats to get going.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This lineup is just not good enough to win enough games I don't think. Especially with both Marte and Kang both gone now. This is going to be the pattern with this team fellas get use to it.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The absence of Kang and Marte (DNP-Stupidity to borrow from the NBA) makes these one run losses even harder.

I'm not saying they would have won them all, but they sure would have had a better chance.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

This was a good chance to really put the Cards in the hole and maybe get them in panic mode.

Instead it is the other way around. Time for Pirates to show what they are made of and bounce back.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: Jaso gets his 1st hit of the year and then just and awful base running taking off on a obvious out and gets doubled off.  This team just continues to shoot itself in the foot.

Then Bell gets thrown out trying to advance to second a couple innings later on a ball that hopped about 3 feet from Molina.

Putting pressure on the defense!

Right.  I was hoping for a throw into CF since that is what Molina is known for.

Real smart guys I'm real impressed by your baseball knowledge, that's a reaction play with a split second to make a decision.  As for Jaso that was just a bone head play even the Cardinal announcers were scratching there heads why he would run on a ball hit with no chance of falling in.  I was always taught to make sure the ball getting down before you take off running while on base. 

I noticed again today Matheney hit and ran today with the lead, but our guy nope can't do it we got our one run. Even with Mercer up and our fastest runner on 2 out in the ninth he doesn't put the hit and run on or try and steal, we were looking for 2 big hits there or a dinger I guess, there was absolutely no chance either was going to happen. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hanson wasn't leading off much and Mercer struck out. Bad combination.

Matheny's hit and run didn't score any runs either.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: Hanson wasn't leading off much and Mercer struck out.  Bad combination.

Matheny's hit and run didn't score any runs either.
Didn't hurt him either the point is he was trying to create something force the issue.  Not sure what Hanson not leading off much has to do with anything.  I'm sure the coach told him to hang close wouldn't want to get thrown out don't you know.  As far as Mercer striking out not sure what difference that made either, you see if he had of gotten a hit on a hit and run he might have been able to score it was all but a certainty he would just about have to hit a home run to score a run otherwise. 

Some managers put hit and runs on to get a hitter out of a slump forces him to try and make contact.  I personally like that approach, my baseball philosophy is much more aggressive than most. 

As for Josh Bell he looks like he is starting to come around, I'm certainly not going to criticize him for getting thrown out on that pass ball he was about our only bright spot today.